WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

I'm taking the family to the UK in a couple weeks. I'm coming (from Pennsylvania) over for a masonic lodge meeting at- The TRENT LODGE around Nottingham, and then to London, and was wondering if there are any shops that sell vintage or unusual timepieces in those areas?) This is my first trip to the UK, so I thought a watch (imagine that?) would be a great item to remember the trip by.

Any suggestions? Any places out of the ordinary that I should check out with the family?

Thanks for any info! :)

Ed

·
Seiko, Cartier Moderator
2,592 Posts
Burlington Arcade in London is the best place in the UK to go for vintage. Particularly for Rolex and Omega.

The vintage Omega shop is particularly special as they often get vintage watches directly from Omega and they are the only solely Omega vintage shop in the world:
OMEGA Vintage Watches | OMEGA Vintage Watches

There are also high end jewelry and leather goods shops in the arcade so your wife will have something to amuse herself with while you're licking the windows of the watch shops!

Oh and make sure that you and the family dress semi smart. Jeans and a t-shirt and they wont buzz you in!

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
If you can go on Saturday, try the Notting Hill vintage shops on Portobello Road. Bring money.

Reactions: Ed Barclay

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
Burlington Arcade in London is the best place in the UK to go for vintage. Particularly for Rolex and Omega.

The vintage Omega shop is particularly special as they often get vintage watches directly from Omega and they are the only solely Omega vintage shop in the world:

There are also high end jewelry and leather goods shops in the arcade so your wife will have something to amuse herself with while you're licking the windows of the watch shops!

Oh and make sure that you and the family dress semi smart. Jeans and a t-shirt and they wont buzz you in!
Yes but it is gotta be very very expensive. Perhaps much more expensive than if the OP buys something in the States

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
The Burlington Arcade is great - with the exception of The Vintage Watch Company...

·
Registered
9,454 Posts
If you are in Nottingham (Robin Hood country) make sure that you check out the 'Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem' pub in Nottingham city centre, next to the castle. It is a fascinating place, well worth a visit. It is one of the oldest pubs in the UK with the foundations of the building dating back to 1189AD (!), and has a network of caves underneath it, and the upper drinking rooms are burrowed out of the rock on which the castle above it sits. It is also reputed to be haunted, and there are lots of myths and legends attached to the pub. Have a read about it on wikipedia and it's own website.
Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem - Englands Oldest Inn

·
Registered
134 Posts

Ed this summarizes the best watch experience in London. Took the wife and kids in March and had a blast. Agree that for the best shops in the arcade you shouldn't dress in jeans/t-shirts. One thing I did was to send the wife/daughters looking at the clothes while I wandered the watch shops on my own. There is a House of Cashmere with good prices on coats/sweaters/scarfs that they enjoyed, gave them a chance to bring something home for winter.

There is also an Omega boutique near the Arcade, albeit usually more crowded. The other AD/chain store is Watches of Switzerland, and there is one near the Arcade, and near Selfridges. For a simpler experience the selection at both Harrod's and Selfridges was much better than either Pittsburgh or Minneapolis, and you can let the family wander about in other sections of the store while you take your time. If you have boys (or girls who like Bond) send them to the Spymaster section of Harrod's, they will love the toys!

The comments on price are right on, there will be a higher price for items. On the flip side, I like picking up a watch that reminds me of a special trip also. Hope this helps, Milt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts