WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
16,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It’s not uncommon to hear the Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical called “one of the best values in Swiss-made watchmaking,” and I’d be hard-pressed to disagree, especially considering that it has remained one of Topper Jewelers’ best-selling Swiss watches since it first hit our shelves last year. I’m a particularly big fan of this reference, as it is one of those rare watches that appeals to both hardcore collectors and new watch fans aspiring to own their first-quality Swiss-made watch.

Last summer, we worked with Hamilton on designing a white-dialed field watch, using the Khaki Field Mechanical as the inspiration for a product we’d hope to one day carry. We are thrilled to announce that Hamilton took our design input and added it to their 2019 collection. This new white-dialed Khaki Field Mechanical can now be pre-ordered now at Topper Jewelers in three configurations: on a leather NATO, a green-textile NATO, or in a special box with both NATOs and a strap-changing tool, which we expect to begin delivering in May.

Like the many classic white-dialed field watches that inspired it, the white-dialed Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical is all about maximizing legibility in low-light situations. Though the crisp white dial maintains the same vintage-inspired ecru luminous paint on the hands and hour markers that is found on the current olive and black-dial variants, it is equipped with a new black handset to better contrast with the dial beneath. Not only does this dial offer the best dial contrast (and therefore, legibility) in the series, enthusiasts will soon find that this color scheme is also a veritable “strap monster” that will look great on the two different stock NATO straps, as well as textured leather, different colors of canvas, and even rubber in the hot summer months.

The white-dialed Khaki Field Mechanical is built around a 38mm, bead-blasted 316L stainless steel case of the existing models. However, it’s worth noting that this edition gets an upgrade on the internals, differentiating them from those released last year. This watch features Hamilton’s new H-50 caliber and a hand-wound mechanical movement with 80 hours of power reserve. The generous reserve wouldn’t be possible without a slight reduction to the watch’s beat rate, but it’s a worthy tradeoff, particularly for a manually wound watch that can now run without interaction for nearly four full days. This has been done without compromising the core component that has made the Khaki Field Mechanical such a popular option in the community: its sub-$500 price-point.

Oh, and one more thing: we'll be celebrating the launch with a Hamilton History “Field Day” event at Topper Jewelers on March 16 with the Bay Area enthusiast group “Watch The Bay Meetups.” At the event, we’ll have a series of amazing vintage field watches on loan from Hamilton’s Pennsylvania museum here in our Burlingame store. You can RSVP to the event here, we hope to see you there!

So what do you think of our new white-dialed Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical?

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
These look great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Agree it looks fantastic. Too bad about the low-beat movement.
Majority of the people buying a watch 98.5% outside of WIS land could care less about a low beat movement. I’m seasoned enough to appreciate the 80 hour power reserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Looks good, what's the lug to lug on these, still 47-48mm?
Yep, 48mm!

Agree it looks fantastic. Too bad about the low-beat movement.
Normally I'd agree, but on a handwound, I'll take any extra PR I can get –.the less I have to worry about it, the better. And being able to run it through an entire weekend (it's basically the perfect weekend/camp/backpacking watch) without having to re-wind it is amazing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts