WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I always find it amazing what people think vintage watches are worth. As I also mod the Vintage and Pocket Watch forum, we deal a lot with folks asking "how much is this watch worth?" and the answer is always the same: can't tell you.

I store searches on eBay with the option that sends an email when something is put up for auction there.

One of these searches in for Elgin A-11 watches.

This one I just got a few minutes ago.

What do y'all think? Worth the asking price?

And yes, that question is entirely rhetorical.

At first I thought he had misplaced the decimal point (happened to me too, once: put in a $2499 bid for something I didn't want to pay more than $25 bucks for: eBay was very nice about letting me put in a decimal point, but man was I sweating twinkies there for a while...), but nope: he'd have to made the same error in both the beginning bid value and the buy-it-now price.

Now, if he sells it at that price my faith is humanity will be both restored and destroyed: restored that someone can have such faith that they will find a buyer, but destroyed in that someone actually paid that much. Now, if it were the documented personal watch of the designer of the depicted airplane, then I'd understand. Maybe...only maybe...

But this? Yikes!

:)

JohnF

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Re: Now here's an A11...perhaps a tad pricey...

The price is quite o.k., actually. :think:

It's the wrong picture/watch, though ... the price is right for an original IWC B-Uhr. :-d

For an A-11 ... off by two orders of magnitude. :rodekaart

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi -

An original IWC B-Uhr would bring that, especially with the original packing and documentation, and checked documentation that it belonged, say, to Bubi, Gerd, Nowi or Prizl...

JohnF

PS: Bubi = Hartmann, 352 kills; Gerd = Barkhorn, 301 kills; Nowi = Nowotny, 258 kills; Prizl = Bar, 221 (16 with Me262)

·
Registered
11,276 Posts

PS: Bubi = Hartmann, 352 kills; Gerd = Barkhorn, 301 kills; Nowi = Nowotny, 258 kills; Prizl = Bar, 221 (16 with Me262)
AFAIK, the fighter pilots used chronographs, and B-Uhren were for long-range navigation of bombers, and MPAs. Given the course of events, "long-range" requirements were not an issue for German fighter pilots. ;-)

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

AFAIK, the fighter pilots used chronographs, and B-Uhren were for long-range navigation of bombers, and MPAs. Given the course of events, "long-range" requirements were not an issue for German fighter pilots. ;-)
All of which makes such as watch soooooooooooooo much more valuable...

:)

JohnF

PS: It occurred to me after I posted...

·
Registered
23,402 Posts

At an auction house like Soethbys perhaps~Cheers! ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts