WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I actually overpaid for my Armitron watch by $10, but why does this cheap watch have a better display than any of my G-Shocks for less money? For $30, my Armitron is water resistant to 100m, it has a chronograph, it has a 24 countdown timer, it has world time, yeah world time, 2 alarms with hourly chimes, and a decent backlight EL, or whatever Armitron calls it. I know it isn't a G-Shock. But, I like the color blue.

I can also see the actual time in all the modes, and not only can I see it. It is huge! Like the digits I see on my Riseman normally.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
I have never seen these but the layout is nicely done IMHO

Same Q as Brvheart....how is the quality? Resin etc?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good questions!! Aside from the things you mentioned around function - how does the build quality compare?
It feels sold, but you know G-Shocks have a removable resin bezel which this watch doesn't have. It is huge in size. It is bigger than my GW6900-1 and Riseman. Like Frogman size. It looks like a G-Shock I know it does. It even wears like a G-Shock, but doesn't feel like a G-Shock. Good or bad. I hate G-Shock resin bands. So uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong. G-Shocks are tough tested. I for one know that. But it just amazes me for $20 you get a lot, and even more. Who knew Armitron upgraded so much. It is a American company too.

If somebody told me I need one watch to get the job done. It would be a G-Shock WITH A GOOD DISPLAY. That is all I am saying with this thread.

I guess, the final answer is. There are no perfect watches. Just something you like the most about your watch which is why you wear it.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never seen these but the layout is nicely done IMHO

Same Q as Brvheart....how is the quality? Resin etc?
The resin is not too stiff but rubbery. When you hit it on a table it sounds like a brick. I will say that when you press the EL, or whatever Armitron calls it the digits do dime that is because they negativity inverted the numbers in EL. It actually makes it kind a hard to see at night. It feels way more comfortable to wear than my G-Shocks I have worn. It doesn't have the ribbon candy like rubber watch band like every resin G-Shock has.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The strap keeper is actually pretty good too. I've owned Timex watches with the same kind a strap keepers.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably easier to judge with an actual photo vs the stock image.
Fair enough. I don't have a camera to post pics. Don't get me wrong. My back up watch will always be a G-Shock, but it is nice to see watch companies trying. I'll tell you what. Get the Rizeman with solar power. I had mine for over five a year. I put it on a keychain for over a year. I have OCD. I am an artist type. I change things as I go.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Fair enough. I don't have a camera to post pics. Don't get me wrong. My back up watch will always be a G-Shock, but it is nice to see watch companies trying. I'll tell you what. Get the Rizeman with solar power. I had mine for over five a year. I put it on a keychain for over a year. I have OCD. I am an artist type. I change things as I go.
You can use your phone camera or even the web cam on your laptop.
And how did you put your Riseman in a keychain?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I can't really tell what a watch looks like until I see a person wearing it from a distance. I like how Armitron takes chances and puts out so many different models and designs all the time. I even like the way that some G-style watches by other watchmakers will look a little different than Casio, if that makes sense. It makes real G-Shocks look more "proper" and acceptable for some reason, by being more casual. Especially if there is more color.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a video I found with the same watch I own. It is no G-Shock, but it is still a decent watch for $20. The average American goes through a lot of watches over the years anyway.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
G-Shocks are overpriced because they can be. People, including collectors on this forum and even fashion victims that are not sensu stricto watch collectors but like the "collaboration" BS that Casio sells for a prince's ransom, will buy anything -- it doesn't matter if it's ugly, or illegible, or massively expensive as long as it says G and it's somehow "rare." If it has an actual "name" and that "name" ends in "-man" well then that's just icing on the cake, that's got to be worth lots more money... That, in short, is the G's downfall: it developed a fan base with wallets. Casio is a company, so they did the math. The rest is (shameful) history.

The entry-level, $40 G square is among the best watches ever made, at any price.

The more expensive Gs are not. The fancier the G, the more removed it is from an actual G.

The Armitron is more G than a $300 G. If you disagree, then:
a. You're incorrect.
b. It's your fault this is happening because you buy overpriced Gs.

Even the entry level square has caused problems, because people just can't let go. The $40 current model is excellent. Paying $400 for the equivalent model from yesteryear is not, and adds to the issue above: Gs cannot be illogicaly expensive and good value and good tool watches and truly "Gs" all at the same time.

·
Registered
27,042 Posts
If you think that one's nice, try buying a Timex Ironman. Way more user friendly, super comfortable strap with intelligent keeper, large easy to read digits, and better looking than just about any G

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
The Ironman has the same problems as the G: they got popular, Timex saw $$$ signs, so they expanded the range. You can spend a lot of money for a fancier Ironman. This is great for Timex, but as a consumer I think it's a travesty. As a watch fan I think it's just as silly as spending a lot of money on a "fancy" G.

The entry-level Timex is a terrific choice, every bit as good as the entry-level G. When price goes up in either range, things just get silly and sad.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
In what way is that better display? Numbers look weirdly faded and way too thin. Some of you are crazy picky when it comes to LCD clarity.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
I think there's nothing to be concerned about.

Armitron and Timex have come a long way in the world of digital watches. But, they both have a plethora of cheap models. And by "cheap" I don't mean just price. You get what you pay for. Some qualities will be good, but others a bit detracting.

I've held many digital watches made by Timex and Armitron at local stores and have felt the differences. Still, despite their attractive cheap prices, I generally prefer CASIO watches. Mind you, CASIO has also made some pretty cheap quality models as well, but most of what they make are very well done. Plus, there is an intuitiveness to their modules... whereas Armitron and Timex often change things up.

Timex is ahead of Armitron in that they do have some models that are very respectable. Some can really go head-to-head with CASIO. I've not bought any, but I've been very, very tempted. What has stopped me? I've got too many watches as it is! :-d

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you like a nice EL. This watches has a soso one. The digits fade when you press the EL because they want it to look like a negative display. But, one cool feature is the world time automatically changes when you set your home time even though some countries do no observe DST. You don't have to sit there for thirty minutes or more trying to see what time has DST or not as you scroll through world time on your G-Shocks.

And, if your world time is not accurate just scroll up and down to find the one that is. One hour off or one hour ahead is not a big deal. There is no UTC or GMT on the world time too. Now that is weird. But, whenever you are in a mode for a while you just have to hit the mode button once to go back to the home time without scrolling through all the modes. That is pretty cool.

I'll see how tough this watch is. If anything I will just buy another one if it lasts over a certain amount of time that is acceptable for a watch.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts