WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
unfortunately I had to wait 3 months to get back my Connie from the Omega AD. The result is more than I expected.
For me it looks now like a new Constellation from 1958. Here the photos:
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

What do you think about the dial now? The only thing, which
I regret is that some little thing has been changed: at the old dial was written the french word "Chronometre". Now it is written "Chronometer"... Would you claim this?
Thank you in advance for your opinions!
Best Regards,
Martin

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hello,
unfortunately I had to wait 3 months to get back my Connie from the Omega AD. The result is more than I expected.
For me it looks now like a new Constellation from 1958. Here the photos:
View attachment 30174 View attachment 30175
View attachment 30176 View attachment 30177

What do you think about the dial now? The only thing, which
I regret is that some little thing has been changed: at the old dial was written the french word "Chronometre". Now it is written "Chronometer"... Would you claim this?
Thank you in advance for your opinions!
Best Regards,
Martin
Is that a redial or a new dial? Who did the work? Congrats!:-!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that a redial or a new dial? Who did the work? Congrats!:-!
Hi Sushirob,
the AD told me, that the man how did the dial is the best in Europe. He has the scans of most vintage dials and print it with special laser printing technology.
Best Regards
Martin

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I completely missed this thread, Martin. I generally in the "leave it be" camp, but I don't blame you for having this one redone. I must say, it's one of the better redials that I've seen.

Wear it and enjoy it!

eric

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I completely missed this thread, Martin. I generally in the "leave it be" camp, but I don't blame you for having this one redone. I must say, it's one of the better redials that I've seen.

Wear it and enjoy it!

eric
Dear Eric,
many thanks for your nice words! After the first euphorie I am a "little bit disappointed" about the dial, as now it is not like the original.
Beside the word "Chronometre" also the upright line of the crosshair is not like the original as it is "open".
I have claimed this to my AD and I am waiting for his opinion. Maybe there is a possibility to change this again. Yes, I wear with big pleasure as it is, but maybe there is a possibility to have it in the original again.
Best Regards,
Martin

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The watch looks pretty good, but I agree with your comments on the dial. Unforunately, it is almost impossible for any dial refinisher to get it exactly right.

The refinisher probably only had the dies to print using the American English "Chronometer" spelling, which was used worldwide by Omega beginning with the 2nd generation Constellation around 1959.

Constellations produced prior to that time had the "re" spelling, as they were relatively rare in the USA.

Here is a blog entry from Desmond's Constellation Blog that talks about the reasons for this.

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/2006/08/globemaster-son-of-constellation.html

Hope this helps and good luck with the resoration.
gatorcpa

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The watch looks pretty good, but I agree with your comments on the dial. Unforunately, it is almost impossible for any dial refinisher to get it exactly right.

The refinisher probably only had the dies to print using the American English "Chronometer" spelling, which was used worldwide by Omega beginning with the 2nd generation Constellation around 1959.

Constellations produced prior to that time had the "re" spelling, as they were relatively rare in the USA.

Here is a blog entry from Desmond's Constellation Blog that talks about the reasons for this.

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/2006/08/globemaster-son-of-constellation.html

Hope this helps and good luck with the resoration.
gatorcpa
Hi gatorcpa,
many thanks for your reply and opinion!

I have read the interesting Constellation-Blog. It is good to know something about the history of this watch.

I bought this watch from a British-Ebayer, which explains now the british word "Chronometre" at the dial.

It would be grate to have the dial in the first original version. I am working on it.

Best Regards,
Martin/Austria

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will you have it re-redialed?
Hi Bruce,
If it is possible in the same quality as now, I would have it redialed.

This version of this dial is not matching to the caliber and case numbers. I also think, it is loosing value with this dial.

If it is not possible of course I will keep it and wear it with big pleasure.

Martin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts