WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa was good to me, except he sent me the bill.

But, the cost was worth it... He brought me this beautiful solid .583 gold (14K) Vostok 'dress' watch from the late 1960s or earliest 1970s. The 2409A 17-jewel movement seems to be dated 1965 (there is a '65' stamped above the serial number, which is 671955). The movement is also signed with the Vostok 'B' in an oval logo. Both the case and the snap-back are hallmarked with the Soviet symbol for .583 gold.

I can see some of the back of the dial through gaps around the edge of the movement. I'm not sure, but it looks to me that the dial is solid gold, too. I might be wrong about this, though.

So much for Soviet equality. I don't think any Red Army enlisted men were wearing these on maneuvers.

My best wishes to all of you for the new year.
-- Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
4,196 Posts

But, the cost was worth it... He brought me this beautiful solid .583 gold (14K) Vostok 'dress' watch from the late 1960s or earliest 1970s. The 2409A 17-jewel movement seems to be dated 1965 (there is a '65' stamped above the serial number, which is 671955). The movement is also signed with the Vostok 'B' in an oval logo. Both the case and the snap-back are hallmarked with the Soviet symbol for .583 gold.

I can see some of the back of the dial through gaps around the edge of the movement. I'm not sure, but it looks to me that the dial is solid gold, too. I might be wrong about this, though.

So much for Soviet equality. I don't think any Red Army enlisted men were wearing these on maneuvers.

-- Mark
Hi Mark santasmile another excellent piece.
The movement can't be from the '60s. Probably it belongs to the first batch of the 24xx series, produced since the very early '80s, recognizable through the bevelled edges and slightly different hairspring regulator.
That version of the 24xx was probably already in use in the 1980 (celebrative Olympic watches, by the way, the hands are the sames on your watch) and some 3AKA3, and it was produced together with the old 22xx series, until the mid-'80s.
Since that period, the 22xx definitely disappeared and the 24xx was definitively and massively produced in its most common version, without bevelled edges.

Don't know about the dial, maybe it is simply brass (the color is different).

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The movement can't be from the '60s. Probably it belongs to the first batch of the 24xx series, produced since the very early '80s, recognizable through the bevelled edges and slightly different hairspring regulator.
Thanks, Michele. I am quite ignorant about Vostok movements. I will adjust the dating to reflect an early 1980s manufacture date. But, what do you think that '65' means, stamped above the serial number? I have never seen that kind of stamp before on a movement.

You may be right about the composition of the dial, too. Next time I visit Ah Soh, I will ask him to check it out.

-- Mark

·
Registered
3,518 Posts

-- Mark
What a great find, Mark! I've never seen a solid gold Vostok (but I'm no expert). Congratulations.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
This is the first one I have ever seen, also... But then again, I'm no expert either.
-- Mark
I saw a very similar, perhaps identical gold BOCTOK in a jewelry store that had vintage watches in Athens the other day. They were asking 300 Euros for it, which is far too much for me.

I think ill-phill has something very similar, no?

Happy new year!

OKEAH

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Thanks, Michele. I am quite ignorant about Vostok movements. I will adjust the dating to reflect an early 1980s manufacture date. But, what do you think that '65' means, stamped above the serial number? I have never seen that kind of stamp before on a movement.
-- Mark
I never care about Vostok "serial" numbers :-d Many times it was clear, in the forum discussions, that the serial numbers on the caseback are just "random" codes to identify the single watch, and they have no chronological meaning.
I suppose that it is the same for the numbers on the movement too.
In my opinion, you can be quite sure that the watch is from the first half of the '80s.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great vostok and very rare too:-!
there have been only about three pieces on the bay afair... two of them are in my watchbox:-d
here is one...
Greetings
Phil
Ahhh, Phil... Your collection truly amazing. I'm envious.
Keep up the good work.
-- Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts