WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I asked this in the main forum to no avail, so thought I'd try here. While everything else that needs to stay sealed (diving equipment, flashlights etc) recommend lubricating the O-rings occasionally, I've never seen it mentioned for watches, and all the watches I've opened up (plenty of them new) were bone dry. Anyone any thoughts on why this is?

Tom

·
Registered
126 Posts
It does seem odd, maybe it is done very light from the factory. I like to add some silicon lube before closing the backs on my watches. It only makes sense to me.

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
I think they may not add lube because if the lube were to be pushed into the case and get in the movement it could really screw it up. Under pressure an o-ring deforms into the inner side of the o-ring groove and if too much lube is on it the lube could be pressed into the interior of the case. Even a small bit of thick silicone lube in a watch's delicate parts would throw off accuracy or worse.

The best bet is to just have your watch serviced every so many years (a hot topic of debate itself).

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
O-rings in watches are given a light lubrication with silcone lubricant. This is also recommended when replacing o-rings. Not sure what you are expecting to see; you aren't going to see gobs of lubricant in there.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O-rings in watches are given a light lubrication with silcone lubricant. This is also recommended when replacing o-rings. Not sure what you are expecting to see; you aren't going to see gobs of lubricant in there.
I know I'm not going to see globs of lubricant, but normally freshly lubricated seals have a little shimmer of 'wetness' about them. They seem to share the slight matt appearance of old, dry seals. I guess it's just the watches I've opened have been submerged a couple of times beforehand, or have been of poor enough quality not to be lubricated.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts