WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I grabbed one of the last O&W Cougar's I could find made with Tritium. They are switching the new stock to SuperLuminova. I like SL if it is C3 and applied properly. I have had a lot of SL watches that dissapointed to say the least. Tritium when applied right is awesome. A light charge will last all night!

I had a cougar a while back while I was flipping watches a lot. Now that I have a baby my watch flipping days and collecting has been extremely limited. Even my time on the forums has been way cut back. My baby deserves my time and I love every moment I spend with her. However, I do miss the days when I could spend my disposable income on watches!! My collection has been cut back to a couple of inexpensive but nice watches. The cougar and the Seiko SKX173 with an oyster band.

I should be getting the cougar in a day or so. The key features of the cougar are the domed sapphire crystal, something rarely seen even on more high end watches. A classic MOD dial. A fully blasted stainless steel case. At 39.5 mm the size is smaller than I prefer but still big enough. One thing about the cougar is the case is well finished and its size makes the watch very comfortable. I found the bracelet a little cheap, specially the clasp and the hollow end links were not to my liking. However, balancing out the cost vs. features and design this is one of the better dive watches out there. I think of it as a toolish poor mans Omega pro seamaster.

I am surprised more people do not post about O&W watches in general. I think their pilot watches for the money offer a serious value. I also like the ID 3077 in black and orange as well as the cougar for their diving range. M line leave a little to be desired for me personally but they do offer excellent value no doubt. I would be curious to know what grade ETA movement is in O&W automatics. I know it is a 2824-2 but is it standard, elaboradore, what?

I have owned many dive watches and I will always love mechanical watches. If I get a higher paying job or after a few year I may be able to get another high end watch. I was lucky enough to own if only for a short while many nice watches. I feel for the money the cougar is one of the best dive watches out there. My other favorite budget dive watches are the Seiko SKX series, Seiko Monster, Seiko Sammie, and Seiko Sumo. All of these watches offer a substantial value or bang for the buck in my opinion. On the german side I have not seen a diver in the $300-$400 price range that I could comment on. While Stowa and Sinn make some awesome dive watches they can't be had for under at least $600-$700 on the used market. For swiss divers again I love many such as Omega, Doxa, Zeno, etc, but for the money only O & W offer a true swiss made watch.

I would like to know if there are any other Cougar owners out there and their feedback on this model. I would also like to hear feedback on O&W in general. I know they once had a forum on this site. It sure would be great to see that return. Also what is your favorite $300-$400 dive watch?

Robzilla

·
Registered
277 Posts
I too agree that for the money the O & W was great diver. I bought the ID3077 black and the case was perfect, crown, sapphire, all great on this watch, but could not live with the bracelet. see review here https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=86960&highlight=3077 Sadly, i flipped it a few weeks ago for a Sumo which in turn has also left me, not b/c of anything with watch but just slightly a little too hefty for me. But IMHO it was by far the best watch for the money out there for diving in or out of water. Cheers.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have a few watches and the Sm300 is my favourite followed by the cougar. It's so comfortable. It's odd, I prefer 42mm plus watches but my vintage SM300 and Cougar along with the SD are 40mm abouts and are the best looking of all the watches.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a few watches and the Sm300 is my favourite followed by the cougar. It's so comfortable. It's odd, I prefer 42mm plus watches but my vintage SM300 and Cougar along with the SD are 40mm abouts and are the best looking of all the watches.
Do you find the bracelet kinda noisey? It was one of the only bracelet that when I wore it driving would rattle and clink quite often, drove me crazy. I tried to find another bracelet to fit it but didnt. Sure like the watch face and case though. Lume on hands was great, dial not. (referring to the ID3077). Cheers.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
By the way, I just got the Marathon GSAR, with Tritrium and it is my understanding, that light, yes or no, has no bearing on its luminescence. It is radioactive material that glows all on its own. It has a half life of somewhere beween 10 - 15 years(it will be half as light) according to some more knowledgeable forum folks. The feds control its use and how bright it is(measured in millicuries) based on radioactive issues. My Marathon is 26 millicuries. I believe Ball got a waiver and they have 100 millicuries(flashbulb bright lol). So as I understand it Superluminova needs exposure to light and is brighter to start than most Tritrium but as the night progresses, the tritrium stays the same no matter what. This is all my opinion based on forum info and led me to get the Marathon as i did not have any Tritrium watches and wanted to see it. That and the fact that Marthon makes a really great tool watch!

Hope I said all that correctly and anyone step in and correct me if i am wrong.

paul:-!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Rob long time no seen friend...it is always a pleasure having you posting again..:-!

I think the O&W Cougar is a serious diver and very affordable for many of us...
I think you will be posting a review of the new "toy":-d so please let us know your impressions...

ps. I sure understand one thing: family deserves YOU!!

Cheers!
Elio

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, I just got the Marathon GSAR, with Tritrium and it is my understanding, that light, yes or no, has no bearing on its luminescence. It is radioactive material that glows all on its own. It has a half life of somewhere beween 10 - 15 years(it will be half as light) according to some more knowledgeable forum folks. The feds control its use and how bright it is(measured in millicuries) based on radioactive issues. My Marathon is 26 millicuries. I believe Ball got a waiver and they have 100 millicuries(flashbulb bright lol). So as I understand it Superluminova needs exposure to light and is brighter to start than most Tritrium but as the night progresses, the tritrium stays the same no matter what. This is all my opinion based on forum info and led me to get the Marathon as i did not have any Tritrium watches and wanted to see it. That and the fact that Marthon makes a really great tool watch!

Hope I said all that correctly and anyone step in and correct me if i am wrong.

paul:-!
You are correct Tritium has a half life of 10-12.5 years. It requires no charge but a charge of painted tritium lume will help it. The brightness of the lume is excited by light and by the radioisotope. In watches with Tritium tubes no illumination is needed at all as the tritium is present in its true form of gas. Tritium is basically h3 or radioactive hydrogen. When it is applied as a paint it is not as bright. The traser technology developed by a few companies is far superior than any type of lume before it.

I prefer painted dials as the designs I favor more. I really do not care for the designs of most tritium tube watches with the exception of some of the Ball watches and some of the Traser or Luminox watches. I will say the build quality of Ball is at an extremely high standard. They are wonderful watches.

Super Luminova glows extremely bright when charged. Super Luminova is I believe Promethium-147 which is not radioactive. Super Luminova C3 is the brightest and will glow for many hours after a charge. The first hour or two see a dramitic decrease in brightness leveling off after that. While Tritium does not go below a certain brightness.

Personally, I prefer Tritium over SL unless it is a Seiko with C3.

Robzilla

·
Registered
225 Posts
You are correct Tritium has a half life of 10-12.5 years. It requires no charge but a charge of painted tritium lume will help it. The brightness of the lume is excited by light and by the radioisotope. In watches with Tritium tubes no illumination is needed at all as the tritium is present in its true form of gas. Tritium is basically h3 or radioactive hydrogen. When it is applied as a paint it is not as bright. The traser technology developed by a few companies is far superior than any type of lume before it.

I prefer painted dials as the designs I favor more. I really do not care for the designs of most tritium tube watches with the exception of some of the Ball watches and some of the Traser or Luminox watches. I will say the build quality of Ball is at an extremely high standard. They are wonderful watches.

Super Luminova glows extremely bright when charged. Super Luminova is I believe Promethium-147 which is not radioactive. Super Luminova C3 is the brightest and will glow for many hours after a charge. The first hour or two see a dramitic decrease in brightness leveling off after that. While Tritium does not go below a certain brightness.

Personally, I prefer Tritium over SL unless it is a Seiko with C3.

Robzilla
I would add to your Seiko, the Autozilla, Stowa Prodiver and the GP Sea Hawk II :-!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Nice, i always liked O&W pieces...u get a lot for the money i reckon. Congrats n wear it in good health! :-!:-!

btw i took a lume comparison a while ago...seiko wins hands down! b-)b-)

top: Dievas, traser
bottom Seiko, Omega, Marathon

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Always good to hear from you Rob :)
Excellent choice on the O&W old pal, a great value for money diver :-!
Enjoy it and find time to stop by more often!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I picked one up about 2 yrs ago, same tritium and hand design,and at first I too thought 39.5 was small, but it wears well. The bracelet could maybe use solid end links or something, it is a bit "rattly". Overall I think it's a keeper, but not easy to find spare parts-lost the bezel insert last summer and it's been at Westcoast time since last December! Can't get the odd sized insert or bezel, the other O&W divers are slighly larger or smaller. Bummer,but I do like it and one day may have some sort of replacement bezel!!!:roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts