WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happen to look at sales forums every now and then, especially for Omegas (there are no bargains for Rolex EVER! :(). I came across couple of 1861 Sapphires and noted that the pricing had jumped up.

Curious, I went to C24 and viola, it certainly has. First off there are only 68 watches listed (new), for some reason I thought there used to be hundreds of them on there.

311.30.42.30.01.006 Search for a wristwatch (chrono24.com)

Grays are asking for MSRP (mostly) or even a premium on the older model. In some cases, same pricing as the new incoming 3861.

Speculation in the watch world has gotten to whole another level. I can't call them for their greed as grays are a business but this is getting insane....

I find it a bit saddening, maybe its just me. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Me and a friend were just talking about this recently ... it’s become the new steel Submariner on the secondary market.

One was just listed in Canada for $7250 and sold quickly. It’s insane. I just find it so hard to spend that kind of cash on the Speedy Pro when I used to buy and sell them for $2500 CAD about 5-7 years ago. This was the ref. 3570.50 of course, but so what? There’s a bigger case, a few accessories, and a much longer reference number and it’s suddenly worth so much more?

I was happy to buy an FOIS before the holidays from an AD with a 15% discount, but the price of Pros on the secondary market is appalling really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
Unless it's a particular watch that was actually worn in space, I don't understand why anyone would suddenly want an old watch that is not nearly as good as the new one. Ok, maybe if you are running a watch museum, but otherwise what's the point of buying an old, not as good watch? Then again, the appeal of the entire "vintage" watch thing completely escapes me, but for the few individual specimens that have real historical value —e.g., Ed White's actual Speedmaster, yes; just any old "Ed White" Speedmaster, including the new one with the artifact movement, no.

·
Registered
2005 Omega Railmaster
1,027 Posts
Last summer everyone was advising "get one now". I thought their advice made sense. I found a brand new Big Box Moonwatch with all the extras at a dealer site online. Price: $3700 to my door. Admittedly it is the leather strap model, but that's what I prefer. According to current pricing, it was good advice.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I’m not so sure the co-axial is a better movement than the 1861 one big fail with the co-axial is the fixed non adjustable beat arm this make the old movement more appealing to me , also the omega writing just looks more correct on the old
Just my two cents

·
Registered
82 Posts
I always find the chrono24 price tracking interesting, it's my guilty pleasure and I'm always putting more watches into it to see what is going on. This paticular model.....

·
Registered
593 Posts
$1950 for my 3570 ten years ago :)

Reactions: TraserH3

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Yes the value will rise. It might go as high as the current Speedy.
As an owner of the current, new Speedy. I had no problem paying the extra for the improvements and new movement.
That said 'no one' should feed the grey market scalpers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I purchased my Speedy just before Christmas for $3,300 on bracelet with all of the extras and presentation box. Watch was flawless and originally purchased in 2/2020. Happy I pulled the trigger when I did. That said, I expect a short term spike in price especially for the newer, good condition models. But over time I expect that the prices will settle somewhere in the range of 10% higher than they are now.

·
Registered
830 Posts
yes value has been going up, for a while already.

I wouldn't call speedy pro a "cheap watch" but it is seriously good value considering the pedigree. With MSRP for the new 3861 Speedy being $1,000 more than the outgoing mode, it is only natural for used prices to creep up as well. You see this with cars as well. A used Jeep Wrangler is nearly the same price as a new one, and older Nissan GTR or Porsche 911 does not depreciate much either.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think my first 1861 speedy I bought new was £2800 with the red box (hesalite, I sold it as I was working so much I never had the time to wear it. I think that would have been around 2010. I did miss it so bought another one a few years later, I think new it was then £3400 or it might have been £3600 for the big box version. I think now the 1861 is £4250 so prices do seem to be rising at a faster rate than before. This is of course new prices, but secondary prices are generally reflected. Not that this really matters as I'm not selling this one.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes value has been going up, for a while already.

I wouldn't call speedy pro a "cheap watch" but it is seriously good value considering the pedigree. With MSRP for the new 3861 Speedy being $1,000 more than the outgoing mode, it is only natural for used prices to creep up as well. You see this with cars as well. A used Jeep Wrangler is nearly the same price as a new one, and older Nissan GTR or Porsche 911 does not depreciate much either.
What pedigree?

Some claim Omega has been milking the moonwatch thing for way too long. :)

Not me, I think we can never have enough of what was/is one of our greatest accomplishments as mankind.

·
Registered
830 Posts
What pedigree?

Some claim Omega has been milking the moonwatch thing for way too long. :)

Not me, I think we can never have enough of what was/is one of our greatest accomplishments as mankind.
Something something about a man taking small steps or something.

·
Registered
660 Posts
As someone that recently purchased an 1861 model new, I'm OK with them climbing in value ;)

Not that I'm gonna flip mine, unless the world goes completely upside down (oh, wait, we're getting close to that) and I could direct swap mine for a 3861... even then I may still have to think on that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i would expect values to increase a bit to narrow the gap with the new models, especially when existing AD supply dries up. i have been on the fence about trading up for a new model, but think I’ll sit tight for a bit to see how the market settles in a few months..

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I always find the chrono24 price tracking interesting, it's my guilty pleasure and I'm always putting more watches into it to see what is going on. This paticular model.....

C24 pricing is an absolute joke. Everyone prices in the 6.5% fee they charge sellers into the listing so inherently the prices are higher. I know what my watches are worth based on real world comparisons of models popping up on forums for sale and they are about 15-20% less than C24.

·
Registered
82 Posts
C24 pricing is an absolute joke. Everyone prices in the 6.5% fee they charge sellers into the listing so inherently the prices are higher. I know what my watches are worth based on real world comparisons of models popping up on forums for sale and they are about 15-20% less than C24.

Oh I agree but I still find the pricing history graphs interesting.

·
Premium Member
12,109 Posts

I agree that the prices on C24 can be misleading but the trends are interesting.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
This is an ongoing thing with the secondary market for Omega watches. As the brand increases prices and launches new models at increased prices, we see some of that trickle down to the secondary market. I would guess that is one major reason we see the price increase. However, there is also a sudden surge in interest in the 1861 model due to the new release. I would expect the price to stabilize above what it has been before, but that we are currently seeing a shortterm spike.

This is why, for example, early 2000's Omega references are now more expensive on the secondary market than their MSRP when they were new. Anyone who bought any luxury watch in the early 2000's can only look back at it as a sweet deal.

In general, and this goes for a lot of brands, if you want to spend as little as possible you are better off buying today than tomorrow. This has certainly been true for the Speedmaster Professional at pretty much any moment in time. As an example, I bought a Speedmaster professional in 2019 for only 2.800 euros and it was pre-owned but in practically new condition. Now you'd pay around 4.000 euros for that exact same watch. I sold the watch just 6 months ago for 3.300 euros. Which at the time was a pretty fair price.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts