WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
This is an ongoing thing with the secondary market for Omega watches. As the brand increases prices and launches new models at increased prices, we see some of that trickle down to the secondary market. I would guess that is one major reason we see the price increase. However, there is also a sudden surge in interest in the 1861 model due to the new release. I would expect the price to stabilize above what it has been before, but that we are currently seeing a shortterm spike.

This is why, for example, early 2000's Omega references are now more expensive on the secondary market than their MSRP when they were new. Anyone who bought any luxury watch in the early 2000's can only look back at it as a sweet deal.

In general, and this goes for a lot of brands, if you want to spend as little as possible you are better off buying today than tomorrow. This has certainly been true for the Speedmaster Professional at pretty much any moment in time. As an example, I bought a Speedmaster professional in 2019 for only 2.800 euros and it was pre-owned but in practically new condition. Now you'd pay around 4.000 euros for that exact same watch. I sold the watch just 6 months ago for 3.300 euros. Which at the time was a pretty fair price.
True and has been true for most popular Omega references.

I have noted several times how SMPc was 2800 CDN tax in, in 2010.

Now the same watches sell for 4400 CDN or so and even more if mint.

I think the same can be said about Speedmaster.

Premium Member
As I have noted before, very glad to have landed my Hes Speedy in Dec, from an AD, with a nice discount and some swag (pen, hat and bag - yeah, a bag?).....plan on it being with me for sometime, so increasing value is nice, but really doesn鈥檛 matter to me....

Reactions: Cod Holliday

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
I might pick up a 1861 Hesalite only for nostalgic reasons. At some point :)

Registered
With these steady price increases the already undervalued original Mk.2's represent incredible value(no good if you don't like the style of course).

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Man, all you people are making me envious of your Omega swag.

I got NOTHING!

Wait, that was my wife who picked up. She might have told them to shove it, she can be cocky on a bad day. :/

Registered

Registered
Sorry guys...I'm part of the reason why secondary prices are creeping up. I just picked up a pre-owned 1861 version.

For the past 10-12 years, the Hesalite Speedy has always been sitting on the fringes of my purchase intent and it never really got any serious consideration. It came down to the lack of date complication and that it was a manual wind. All of my watches have a date function and are automatic or quartz and I didn't think I'd like the Speedy.

Then throughout 2019 and 2020, the Speedy folklore (hype?) begin to seep further into my psyche until it was firmly occupying the top spot for my next watch purchase.

The introduction of the new Moonwatch with the co-axial movement was the trigger. I knew that I didn't want the co-axial version, so I started looking around since Thanksgiving for a pre-owned 1861 and just got one.

It arrived today, on Speedy Tuesday - very appropriate timing.

It's on a thick vintage style leather band from Amazon.

I'm smitten for now and I think I can get over the lack of date and having to wind it up manually.

This out-going model has been in production since 1997 and the "body style" if we were to use an automotive analogy, has been pretty much the same for nearly 25 years. So, there are plenty of these out there. And, I hope secondary prices for Speedy moon watches don't go astronomically high (pardon the pun) so that it remains accessible for others to try out and enjoy.

Dan

21 - 31 of 31 Posts