WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, after some dismal experiences with the usual cast of cheap winders (I say that in the sense of quality as opposed to cost; some were not inexpensive), I recently added some that seemed to have better reputations in online reviews. These included 6 Orbita Sparta Open and 2 Spin-R winders. This is not intended to be a review of the winders in any way. It is just an interesting observation that I have had that I thought may be interesting to others.

I have seen an interesting phenomenon with watches on the different winders. Those that are on the Spin-R seem to both keep faster time as compared to the Orbita (which appear to be keeping more precise time on the winder). The interesting thing is that they are both moving ahead at a seemingly consistent rate. The watches on the Orbitas currently include primarily ETA based movements, including two that are NOS, but also one Seiko 6R15 (Sumo). Those on the Spin-R winders include a NOS Omega 565 and an ETA that I believe is the 2836.

The Orbital winders hold the watch in a position that is reclined approx. 30 degrees from vertical, whereas the Spin-R holds the watch almost perfectly vertically. This specific Orbital rocks the watches whereas the Spinr-R rotates the watches (currently at 650 tpd bidirectional each).

The next step will be to synchronize the watches once more and then rotate them among the winders to see what happens. If I develop some free time, a good experiment would be to more precisely time some of these on one winder vs. the other.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have a single, Orbita non-programmable Rotorwind and I don't notice any difference in accuracy of the watch while on the winder as opposed to handwinding the watch and leaving it in the watchbox.

Interestingly, my Rotorwind keeps the watch vertical without any 30deg. angle like the OP's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts