WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always loved the Day-Date, and even more so when the DD40 came out. But I have always - very unfairly - put it on a pedestal. I convince myself over the years that it is far too expensive, and perhaps not fitting for my rather casual lifestyle. And why not have 3 or 4 other high end watches for the same price? So, I now have a wonderful collection of 11 watches, representing 7 brands, and half of them rarely get worn. Even if I sell them at quite a loss, I realize I will still come out ahead, and have more than a DD40 is worth at full MSRP.

That is exactly what I am going to do. Sell a few watches, and get a DD40. I made this at this stage in my life just the other day. I won't bore everyone with details, I just put it down to the fact that perhaps in my subconscious, I am saving the best for last!

Another revelation: I went to my Rolex AD yesterday, and spent an amazing hour looking at, and trying on, various DD40 variations. I had my usual casual clothing, with 21-year-old leather bomber jacket on, jeans, sweatshirt and baseball cap. When I got to the configuration that really spoke to me the most, I realized how comfortable it would be wearing it with just about any clothing, from short and t-shirt to suit. And the yellow gold with black dial combo would look marvelous with any outfit I would wear.

And, I thought about all the watches in my collection that it would be replacing. I even wondered if it would replace many that I wear on a regular basis. I get the feeling that once I start wearing it, the others in my collection might also end up in the drawer! Except for my SD43, which I do have on order.

Yesterday was the first time I really took more than a minute or two to look at the DD40. I absolutely love the weight, and that President bracelet is a work of art. The dial I would pick is the black diagonal motif, which provides a wonderful contrast with the rich yellow gold. The watch is a work of art, timeless, and luxurious while at the same time being incredibly versatile.

Finally (sorry to ramble :roll:): How many of you DD40 or DD36 owners have found that your watch becomes almost the only one you wear? Just by reading some of the posts on the forums, I get the idea that is often the case. I'm not looking for advice, as I have made my mind up, but just curious how you are finding your Day-Date? Any observations about the model will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Carl

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
I went through a similar thing with my Daytona. Sold off nearly my entire collection to fund it and wore it pretty much daily. After about 6 months, it started getting boring though it is still my favorite watch. Now, I'm rebuilding the collection, including getting back some pieces I sold off.

Variety is the spice of life, especially after the honeymoon's over.

If you can afford to let the money sit, put your collection away instead of selling it then revisit it when you are bored of the new DD

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went through a similar thing with my Daytona. Sold off nearly my entire collection to fund it and wore it pretty much daily. After about 6 months, it started getting boring though it is still my favorite watch. Now, I'm rebuilding the collection, including getting back some pieces I sold off.

Variety is the spice of life, especially after the honeymoon's over.

If you can afford to let the money sit, put your collection away instead of selling it then revisit it when you are bored of the new DD
Very good point. Fortunately, when I sell 4 or 5 of my watches, I will still have a nice smaller collection, so I should have plenty of variety. Will keep my SD43 and Explorer 1. I know exactly what you mean, though. Regardless of the watch, when the honeymoon is over, then the craving starts for something else.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
To give some perspective.....
In early December I browsed many watch boutiques in Switzerland including PP, VC, AP, JLC, BP, IWC, Breguet, C.F. Bucherer, Omega, Tudor, and Rolex.

Prices ranged from $5,000. to $60,000. for the watches I admired...
At the end of the day, if I spent north of $20,000, I would buy the Rolex Day-Date-40 in White Gold or Platinum with Silver Stripe Motif Dial.
Over any Nautilus, Aquanaut, Calatrava, Royal Oak, Overseas, Fifty Fathoms, Reverso, etc.

My primary reason for this is....the rugged reliability in a really nice watch....

IMG_9666.jpg

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To give some perspective.....
In early December I browsed many watch boutiques in Switzerland including PP, VC, AP, JLC, BP, IWC, Breguet, C.F. Bucherer, Omega, Tudor, and Rolex.

Prices ranged from $5,000. to $60,000. for the watches I admired...
At the end of the day, if I spent north of $20,000, I would buy the Rolex Day-Date-40 in White Gold or Platinum with Silver Stripe Motif Dial.
Over any Nautilus, Aquanaut, Calatrava, Royal Oak, Overseas, Fifty Fathoms, Reverso, etc.

My primary reason for this is....the rugged reliability in a really nice watch....

View attachment 13838637
From what I have seen as well, I totally understand your point. And I have owned a few Rolex watches over the years. Very difficult to beat the value. And I really believe that, for an all gold watch, the DD40 is the best value, and actually best overall. I think you could spend a lot more money and have difficulty beating the quality. And, to be honest, the DD40 is the upper limit of what I really feel that I can spend.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
On my latest excursion mentioned above......the Rolex Boutique had this exact watch.....and was my favorite of the hundred watches I looked at.
The White-Gold had a very nice softness to the color that I REALLY liked....

IMG_1437.jpg

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my latest excursion mentioned above......the Rolex Boutique had this exact watch.....and was my favorite of the hundred watches I looked at.

View attachment 13838857
That is really a beauty. I saw it as well yesterday, and I always love that beautiful green dial. I am thinking, though, that I really want a yellow gold, and I like the combo with the black dial best. The black dial also looks stunning on the white gold.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Because I’m selfish, I’d be sooooo happy if they had a DD in 38mm as I feel that is my sweet spot. I also wish Rolex would come out with the upgraded movement in the 36mm already!

But you’re right, it appears that either DD would be surprisingly versatile. I’d be afraid of the amount of wrist time it would get if I traded in some of my collection for one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Because I’m selfish, I’d be sooooo happy if they had a DD in 38mm as I feel that is my sweet spot. I also wish Rolex would come out with the upgraded movement in the 36mm already!

But you’re right, it appears that either DD would be surprisingly versatile. I’d be afraid of the amount of wrist time it would get if I traded in some of my collection for one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I was surprised how "compact" the DD40 felt. I'll be 70 this year, and pretty my time to put all my fears behind me. Although the wrist time factor was a consideration.

·
Premium Member
13,401 Posts
Sounds like you have your mind made up. Good for you! I know I'd have a hard time narrowing down all the permutations...

Good luck with the purchase. :-!

·
Premium Member
13,401 Posts
Tif I spent north of $20,000, I would buy the Rolex Day-Date-40 in White Gold or Platinum with Silver Stripe Motif Dial.

View attachment 13838637

That's a Pt DD, right? That a gorgeous watch but not sure I'd be comfortable springing that much for a watch even if I had Bill Gates money... If I were, I might go for this:

m228206-0004.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,401 Posts

View attachment 13838857

I wish the WG DD came with a smooth bezel option... Oh well.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree....I like smooth bezels a lot....and the platinum comes that way....
I'm not sure how much it is....$50k ??
I think the Platinum is around 100k here in Canada. They don't give a price on the Rolex website, just "Price on Reguest", so I'm guess 70K?

Fortunately, I love the fluted bezel. Perhaps part of that is because I never before had one. But I think it goes part and parcel with the Day-Date look. Mind you, I would love to feel the weight of the platinum. I was already impressed with the weight of the gold!

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know the OP has his ducks all lined up but this caught my eye too.

View attachment 13839063

pic from TRF.
That really is a very stunning combo. And the white gold does look fantastic also with the black dial, which has a kind of sunburst effect. Before I make up my mind, I really will take a look once again at all the options. But I have lots of time, as I have a few watches to sell first! I must admit, the above photo does have me thinking twice!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts