WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't know about you, but I'm getting a bit tired of the way some people respond to certain posts. A couple of scenarios:

A new member starts a thread requesting information about a particular watch, or asking a question like "What is your desert-island watch?" Some members play along, but others feel compelled to post curt one-sentence replies like "This has been discussed many times before" and "Use the search function." Such responses are usually accompanied by the eye-rolling smiley...:roll:

The search function response in particular really bothers me. I think it is rude and unfriendly, and anyway, there is no pre-condition to joining WUS that states each topic may only be posted/discussed once. If you don't like it, and think it's all been said and done before, then don't participate. Simple.

The second type of response that is annoying is when someone posts a "What is the best/coolest/most desirable watch of all time?" type thread, and gets a whole bunch of replies saying "This kind of question is impossible to answer" and "This is subjective."

Why people post such obvious yet worthless statements is beyond me. The whole point of these type of threads is to elicit subjective opinion, and to have some fun! And again, as with every forum/thread on WUS, participation is optional. So let's keep this negative stuff out of threads, eh? Thanks.|>

Maybe some other views on this?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
i personally dislike the ultimate watch posts, unless someone were to ask forum members to describe the features of "the" ultimate watch which provides an interesting twist. and i agree that the responses you have listed do indicate an air of snootyness and does not illicit a welcoming feeling, however they are accurate responses.
in the end i think it is important to make new members feel welcomed and we could achieve that end by limiting ourselves to one response of this nature to this type of thread. lets continue to make this place a great place to hang.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
From the point of view of a moderator, when one has to follow each and every thread in a forum, it gets tiring after a while to see the same topics posted over and over again when it has been discussed already. Usually people who post a very general question are looking for a very specific answer - an answer better served if they had done some research and narrowed down their choices to get a more useful response the first time. Otherwise it just becomes a random free for all, with a lot of subjective irrelevant responses posted. Does that answer your question?

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I hate posts which are rants. :roll:

:-d

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Don't know about you, but I'm getting a bit tired of the way some people respond to certain posts.

So let's keep this negative stuff out of threads, eh? Thanks.|>

Maybe some other views on this?

Isn't your post a negative reply to certain types of replies? :think::-d:-d:-d

....oh, almost forgot these: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You beat me to it! He's the pot who calls the kettle black.

From the point of view of a moderator, when one has to follow each and every thread in a forum, it gets tiring after a while to see the same topics posted over and over again when it has been discussed already. Usually people who post a very general question are looking for a very specific answer - an answer better served if they had done some research and narrowed down their choices to get a more useful response the first time. Otherwise it just becomes a random free for all, with a lot of subjective irrelevant responses posted. Does that answer your question?
Looks to me that others like Eric have a different view than the OP - which I happen to share. Just as you get tired of hearing the same song on the radio umpteen times, the same subjects like "If you could only have 1 watch..." and "What watch goes with what car?" get very tedious after the 7,000th time.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hmmm...well I tend to agree with the OP. You can usually tell by the thread title what question or topic is coming. Using the analogy of songs on a radio, if you don't like the song because you've heard it a hundred times before, just turn to another station (or turn off the radio). Likewise, if you know the thread is going to be something that has come up many times before, just don't read it. In fact, I can't help but believe that some people see a thread topic about something that has been discussed multiple times already, and click on it with the specific intent to post a rant that it has been discussed several times already! That's really not the best way to treat a new member, which is usually the one who is posting a topic that has been discussed already.

I understand that mods have to read and track all threads (which is just one of the reasons why you are all so underappreciated), but the majority of those comments don't come from mods.

As for the "use the search function" response, my only request is that people find a little more diplomatic way of suggesting it. I admit that I didn't know that WUS had a search function for something like 9 months. I don't think it's that difficult to point out to a new member that there is a search function, without telling them that they are an idiot for not knowing that there is a search function, or not using the search function.

Just my two cents. It all comes from what IS a rule here, which is to be kind to people.

Regards,
-Jeff

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
I agree with the original poster completely. Renewed discussion about old topics isn't a bad thing. Not only does it help out the person with the question, it gives new members an opportunity to post their perspective on a subject which might have otherwise gone un-discussed. This is called a forum for a reason - it's supposed to facilitate discussion - even discussion that older, more experienced posters might find redundant or boring.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I agree with the Op, great post.

One would assume that there are very few watch topics on a forum this size that have not been discussed already, it may be better if one had the knowledge or literary skills to post a new topic, rather than the less than imaginative "Use the search function/been discussed before" preconceived elitist answer that some less than clever posters use to advance their post count.

It is quite simple really, if you dont like the topic, advance your mouse to a topic that you do, no need for acid comments, doesn't take the brains of an Arch Bishop.

The whole essence of a forum is discussion, that is the enjoyment, it otherwise would be a place of reference with one or two word answers, not something that I, or for that matter, I would presume, others would wish to visit on a regular basis, the job of the moderators is to stimulate that discussion and to carry the thread forward rather than stifling it with a curt answer.

I have noticed a pack mentality amongst some of the members here with large post counts, these counts upon closer scrutiny are littered with the unsavory comments as previously discussed, I am not surprised when these same usernames become associated with these comments, spot them a mile off.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hasn't this already been discussed??
Maybe you should learn to use the search function.
Then again, this is dfficult to really answer, because there are just too many opinions on this subject.:roll: ;-) :-d

Sorry, just couldn't help myself.:-x :oops:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
i also agree with the OP. I mod on another board and there is a tonne of overlap in threads posted by new members, however, snippy replies and one line answers calling for search button use are rude at best and elitist at worst. I don't know how things work behind the scenes here, but on the board I moderate, I don't read every thread. There are other members who will respond instead of me and the report post function for them to alert me if things go sideways.

There are plenty of threads on WUS that I don't feel I can contribute to; rather than post that in each one, I merely move on. What I find more tedious than repeat threads is the rude and unhelpful responses in them by members who feel that their post count entitles them to be disdainful of newer members.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
It seems that we just went through all this a few weeks ago. I think the general feeling at the time was while research of old posts should be encouraged, a member should feel welcome to post a question (even if it's a redundant one) as we have many members that are brand new to watches and are in the process of learning and exploring.
There was a recent thread here about the classiest watch ever made that kind of got the cold shoulder, and I had been hoping to see some good answers. The OP is right, questions like this are meant to be subjective. I like them, because people always recommenf watches I've never heard of, and it helps me learn about new watches. Besides, a question like "What's the best watch for climbing Everest" never gets old in my book, and there are different watches to consider since the last time it was discussed.
There should be one of two responses to these kinds of posts.
1. Answer according to what the asker wants, and if you want, you can also kindly explain that a search of older posts might help. If you know a link to a former discussion, put it in there, too.
2. Ignore the post entirely.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I completely disagree with lordsinclair's views on this. On scenario 1, yes it is rude to just tell someone to use the search engine. However it is also true that many topics have literally tons of threads on the exact same thing (this is especially true of very basic questions). Sometimes a reply is best given by pointing someone in the right direction and encouraging to use the forum resources to educate themselves further.

As for Question 2, As I see it, this is a collector's forum, not a shopping forum. By that I mean that as collectors we don't just seek out pretty pieces, but knowledge and understanding as well. When someone asks what the best watch is, or what the classiest watch is, yes answers are subjective, but it also reflects on the lack of basic understanding about the hobby from the person asking. As collectors it is our duty to teach that person the basic aspects of watches as a whole and watch collecting. That is why questions like this don't have a response and why many answer them with showing the questioner parameters that will help them determine more precisely what it is they want to know. By just answering willy-nilly we don't do the person any favors. by giving him some understanding, we might just ignite that desire to know more and create another contributing collector.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Here's what it boils down to folks - any "what is the best watch for..." or "if you had to own just one watch..." or any variant of the such tends to lead to posts in which people post their subjective opinions as if it were fact. Naturally this leads to snipping between posters, making more work for the mods. Now I don't read every single post here, but when a thread like that (or this) pops up, you can be sure we keep an eye on things. As long as people express their opinions maturely, and as *opinions*, I have no issues. My goal is facillitate discussion which builds the knowledgebase of the forum, not regurgitate material that has been swallowed, digested, and beaten with a stick.

For better or for worse, if you want the general "what is the best watch for..." threads popping up, you'll have to put up with replies from all angles - its just as close minded to expect only replies of a certain type. The mods do their best to keep it from degenerating into insults and personal attacks, but please understand the nature of certain topics tend to lend themselves towards narrow paths.

My general suggestion for someone asking an open ended question is for them to spend a few days and browse through the "what are you wearing?" posts - there are pictures of thousands of different watches there - and it will help them to narrow down what they are looking for. At that point, an intelligently posed question will elicit the most helpful response to guide them towards learning about or even acquiring a new timepiece.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

:-d
Nice one Janne! :-d:-d

I usually play along/answer the question, then if its appropriate, mention the search function. :-!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I no matter how redundant the question, I think its impolite to not share your opinion when its asked for. Besides I dont know about you guys but my as my collection grows my opinions change. So even if its the same question 5 diff times I might asnwer 5 diff ways.

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,198 Posts
LordSinclair: I see you're new here ;-) --and it's really good to see someone new gaining an interest in watches.

Welcome to WUS! :-!

Whether you're looking for just one and asking for help shopping, or looking to become a collector (sometimes one leads to the other--it did in my case), you might find excellent answers to your couple of questions by using the forum search tools.

I'm also sure that others will post direct answers to your questions in this thread, but there's always more to learn, and many knowledgeable people (also many differing opinions), here, so have fun looking around.

Let us know what you decide! Photos are always welcome.

;-)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was looking in the 'most classy dress watch' thread and felt a little bad for the guy and the responses he was getting.

He knew full well that there was no definitive answer, all he wanted was just to see loads of classy watches.

G

·
I was looking in the 'most classy dress watch' thread and felt a little bad for the guy and the responses he was getting.

He knew full well that there was no definitive answer, all he wanted was just to see loads of classy watches.
Without trying to inflame the debate either way, would a post asking to see classy dress watches been more appropriate, without the subjective qualifier?

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
Without trying to inflame the debate either way, would a post asking to see classy dress watches been more appropriate, without the subjective qualifier?
No it wouldn't have. We should be able to expect posters here to read between the lines.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts