WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am turning 65 and my wife wants me to have a new everyday work watch. So, I guess I am getting a new everyday watch! I like the 40 mm and the great lum on my Lumnox which serves me well without the kinds of problems which apparently are more typical from a Lumnox. I have my outdoors watch (Ironman), my dive watch (Seiko), my fancy but not a suit (FP Journe) and my dressy (Patek). So I just want a basic everyday wear with Khakis watch under $2,000. After obsessing for a month (that and the need for watch illumination at night is a staple at 65), I have narrowed it down to these four. Please don’t tell me to buy two of them although some are under $1,000, given I am not certain I need another watch, much less another two. Thanks for any and all advice.

Stowa Marine Original-White
Xetum-Tyndall-automatic-off-white
Sinn856b
Oris BC3 Advanced

Attachments

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
For its intended purpose outlined above, I would choose Sinn.

Any other day it would be a Stowa, but not for every day wear.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would go with the Stowa it's the only piece that IMO looks good and fashionable. Easily can be worn as a every day watch IMO. But it also needs to go with your personal taste and style. I personally wouldn't get my father (almost 65) the Stowa, but that's because it wouldn't match up with how he dresses.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I would normally say the Sinn without a second thought and I think that is the best choice. However, I am not very familiar wit the Xetum but that is an interestingly nice looking watch.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Does anyone know about the Sinn illumination? I remember reading that it wasn't great?
I don't know first hand as I don't own a 856 but I, like you, have read they don't have great lume. There Is a thread in he Sinn forum about this from awhile back.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
if lume is important to you, then you may be disappointed with the Sinn's C1 lume. It is a pure bright white under light, but doesn't glow as bright or as long as watches with C3 (which will have a slight yellow-green tint in the light).

The Stowa Partitio suggested above might be worth a look. Clean dial, no date window, and bright C3 lume.

That M-G you posted will have C1 lume.

Do you prefer automatic or hand wind? You've got both on your list.

Maybe look at Ball Watches. Hard to beat tritium tubes in low light.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
For a rugged, everyday watch ( beater) I would say the Sinn is the best one for your chosen budget.
I would not worry much about the lume. I doubt you spend much time in pitch black, and if you should do, you will not need to see the time.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
And if you really need a dial that is visible in total darkness, then you should have a look on Timex Indiglo
But those are cheapo watches. Quartz too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
That Sinn is awesome! How much is it and what sizes does it come in?

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Sinn would be my first choice. However, the Oris is a great bang for the buck! Great quality.

I own a Stowa (Antea) and while I like the design, the quality doesn't blow me away.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if lume is important to you, then you may be disappointed with the Sinn's C1 lume. It is a pure bright white under light, but doesn't glow as bright or as long as watches with C3 (which will have a slight yellow-green tint in the light).

The Stowa Partitio suggested above might be worth a look. Clean dial, no date window, and bright C3 lume.

That M-G you posted will have C1 lume.

Do you prefer automatic or hand wind? You've got both on your list.

Maybe look at Ball Watches. Hard to beat tritium tubes in low light.
I wasn't aware there were ratings on the lum. How does that work? From your description, I assume that my everyday Lumnox has a C-3 which has worked out pretty well for me and better than my Heuer 3000 which is is light rather than gas based lumination. In answer to the wind question, I would prefer an automatic though that is not a critical as the lum. I much appreciate the input, I am a complete neophyte. That Stowa looks viable as well. How is the Stowa quality?

·
Moderator Emeritus
54,682 Posts
Not quite a rating, more of a classification according to ISO 3157 and ISO/DIS 17514:
C1 Colour "C1" for white
C3 Colour "C3" for yellow
C5 Colour "C5" for greenish-yellow
C7 Colour "C9" for blue-green

1ebea49069.jpg

b167ec1f78.jpg
source: manufacturer rctritec

1 - 20 of 38 Posts