WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I think we can admit, that we are all a bit obsessive about our Gs! So I have become obsessed with the solar panels LOL. I leave the watch out in the sunlight anytime that I am not wearing it, and while in my room, I keep it under a bright lamp! hahah anyone else obsessed like me?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Mine have their own little permanent spot in the kitchen garden window next to my wife's plants. She's quite pleased that they've taken up residence with her herbs. :)

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Whenever they're not on my wrist, they sit on the windowsill. Gives quite a new meaning to the phrase "window dressing".

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
guilty as "CHARGED"

·
Registered
554 Posts
IMHO leaving G's to bake in direct sunlight contributes to resin rot. Here in Scotland we have dull overcast weather most of the year and I wear long sleeves outside...but my Kings never drop down from full charge.

If you want the original resin on your G's to last you should avoid extended bright sunlight, high temperatures and various contaminants like sun cream, deodorant, perfumes, insect repellants etc. This is my belief and I'd put money on it!

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
If you have a large collection of solars, I believe it is best to put them by a window on a sunny day (for a full day) once a month. I would not leave them permanently on the window sill because the colors might fade over time. For watches that you wear regularly, it doesn't matter where you store them--they will remain charged. I would avoid trying to charge under lamps. It is not that effective and wastes electricity.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Once I was there, can't say I liked it. Now I stopped being obssesive about solar charging for those I have and I stopped caring about solar watches in general. Nothing beats high-capacity Lithium batteries - for me anyway.

cheers

·
Registered
717 Posts
I was a bit reluctant to buy a solar because I was worried they might require special care. Definitely not. I now have two and they sit in a drawer a week or a more at a time and I've never seen them off "H". Unless they're in the dark for months there's not a need to even think about it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I was a bit reluctant to buy a solar because I was worried they might require special care. Definitely not. I now have two and they sit in a drawer a week or a more at a time and I've never seen them off "H". Unless they're in the dark for months there's not a need to even think about it.
That's right.....btw my triple crown froggy was always getting a low battery and to be honest it made me a bit wary of solars. But my 3 Kings stay at full power all the time even though at any one time at least 2 of them are in the safe. Kings go into a 'display off lazy boy mode' (sorry never bothered to read the instructions for the correct termonology) which saves a lot of juice IMHO.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Mine only get special charging if they drop to "L" or start flashing "CHG". Since I don't only have one watch I don't care about keeping them charged. They all sit on a bookshelf in our hallway - not even near a window - still most of them always stay at "H" - probably because of the heavy rotation. My W-S200 however is always on "M" since I wear and use it frequently. It only reached "H" in the summer but not for long. I think it never saw a full charge since I got it.

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
frankly there's no real need to intentionally charge the ones you wear, even if you only wear em once a week.

my never seen my weekend G-5600-E dipped to M right out of box. been like 2 years.

its on daily alarm but no auto-EL

my permanent drawer dweller GL-260 did require some tanning every few months. not holding charge as well as before.
its my first G, about 5-6 years old

1 - 20 of 36 Posts