WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I had an issue with my original ceramic bezel (there was a paint smudge on the arrow) I received so I emailed Steinhart and they said they'd send a new ceramic bezel (black). I figured this would be an opportune moment to install the Pepsi GMT bezel insert!! I just wanted to share with you guys what it would look like. I absolutely love it and i don't even know if i will be using the new ceramic insert that Steinhart is now sending me...

For those curious: removing the bezel insert wasn't terribly hard. I heard previously read that people have been using either
1 - blow dryer (heat)
2 - sun (let watch sit out in direct sunlight)
3 - silicone spray (to dissolve/loosen glue)
4 - heat gun (better version of blow dryer)

I did not have a heat gun, but I bought the silicone spray and tried to remove the bezel. Didn't work for me...and I tried pretty hard. I didn't want to try the sun exposure method because I was impatient. I decided to use the blow dryer technique and combined it with the use of rubber bands. I'd heat the bezel for a couple minutes then use rubber bands to grip the bezel insert and swivel it loose. The ceramic bezel insert doesn't have a lume pip so it is really hard to grip and remove unlike the aluminum version. (And using bare fingers to remove the ceramic insert is plain ridiculous). Rubber band helped grip and it worked perfectly!

Anyways, bezel insert installation is quite easy, just slap the insert right on. (Although I don't know what glue i'd use if I ever wanted to keep swapping between bezel inserts?? Can anyone help on this.

FINALLY: here are the pics!

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I don't get it; you put a GMT (24-hour) bezel on a 12-hour watch, which means the bezel no longer has any practical use unlike the original bezel that could at least can be used for timing things.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bottom line Steinhart is sending me a new ceramic bezel for free....I figured I'd experiment with what the Pepsi bezel looked like for fun. Im convinced im going to buy the GMT now that I can see what it's like on my wrist.

In addition, you technically could still time things using the GMT bezel, the numbers would just be different. Ex: 4 would be 10 mins elapsed, 8 would be 20 min..etc... It's possible - is it as convenient? No. But that wasn't the point of this project. I wanted to experiment how to remove the bezel insert (because I'm going to anyways with my incoming insert) and I wanted to see what the Pepsi Insert looked like. Its beautiful and now I'm convinced I'm going to be buying the Red/Blue GMT.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There was a mention by the poster on this link https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-steinhart-ocean-1-black-1012394.html that Ocean 1 black are discontinued due to shortage of ETA 2824. Is this true?
From what I've read around the web, ETA movement supply sometimes restricts Steinhart stock - I know they are short on GMT movements at the moment as I have been patiently waiting for the GMT Blue-Red to become available again. But it appears, at least according to their website, that all of the regular Ocean 1 models which use the 2824-2 are currently in stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts