WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

I'm considering pulling the trigger on an Ocean 1 Classic, but am wondering about a couple of things. 1) What has your experience been with the watch? 2) How would you compare to the Sandoz HK Sub in terms of fit/finish? 3) Wrist shots...?

Thanks guys,

JTR

·
Registered
22 Posts
My original intention was to order the Classic, but I had a change of heart. Instead I opted for the regular 42mm Ocean 1. Since only the face is different, these are my observations from the past hour.

The watch is gorgeous. It is heavier than I expected, which I really like. The band is superb. The lume really glows bright after being exposed to light. While I didn't count, the bezel must go a full 120 clicks whereas most only click 60 times around. The crown is big and winding the watch is really nice. I've never had an ETA-based automatic and this is really smooth.

The watch literally just arrived. I ordered on Sunday, it shipped from Switzerland on Monday and arrived today (Tuesday). Right now I am all excited just wearing it.

Excuse the quality of these photos. I didn't have the macro lens on my camera.

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
Don't own the Ocean 1 myself, but I'd imagine that the overall fit and finish will definitely be better than the Sandoz considering the Ocean is Swiss made and not just Swiss parts cased in Hong Kong~Cheers! ;-)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I purchased two ocean1's(gave one to my son)a couple yrs ago. Both have been running continuously and accurately(I swim with mine). IMHO it's one of the best values out there, and yes, I do also own several watches that cost 4-5 times what debaufre does.

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
Ditto the above comments. I've owned my Ocean 1 (42mm) for nearly a year. It is one of my regular wearers. In my experience, you will be hard pressed to find a Swiss Made watch with as many features as Debaufre offers for this low price.

A couple of shots:

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
ocean 1 is my next purchase green bezel , ive been eying this 4 awhile & by the comments here i can see im not alone on the quality, fit & finish

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys... this is actually quite helpful:thanks. I initially owned a Invicta 8926 (scalloped bezel). The watch was, um, ok... except for a couple of annoyances. 1) the over-branding - wasn't a fan of the manufacturer's name etched on the side of the case. 2) the watch wasn't "tool watch" enough for me, because the polished center link bracelet was too easily scratched. 3) the Miyota movement didn't hack, and its beat-rate was a bit too stuttery for me. Don't get me wrong... the Invicta was a great watch for the price, but it had some flaws that began to get under my skin.

This led me to the Sandoz HK Sub. Although I sacrificed 100m of water resistance, I gained a less-blingy, more tool-like watch - the bracelet was all brushed stainless steel, and the watch had a matte dial. Additionally, I gained a coin-edge bezel over the less-desirable scalloped bezel. While these factors were mere aesthetics, I also gained the more practical edge of the hacking ETA 2824-2 movement. Moreover, the watch has been one of the most accurate I've owned (gains about a second a day). I also gained a much better cyclops in the Sandoz (as compared to the Invicta).

However, the Sandoz has also exhibited some less than charming attributes. The bracelet is quite rattle-y (I expect this is due to the thin links and hollow end links employed by Sandoz), and the crown is a bit small for a diver (though it does wind the watch easily). Speaking of diver, I'm also beginning to regret settling for a watch with a 100m depth rating, a 60-click bezel, and an easily-damaged mineral crystal. Finally, the lume on the Sandoz could definitely be improved.

While the problems with the bracelet could simply be remedied by getting an aftermarket with SELs, the other issues cannot. On the other hand, the watch is still a good value, especially considering the accuracy of its movement.

Which leads me to the Debaufre. Thus far, the research that I've done indicates that, while a bit more money than the Sandoz, the Debaufre's case and bracelet are much more substantial than the HK product. Additionally, it seems that, although the cyclops is not quite as good as the Sandoz, the lume is much better. And after all, what's better - having the date pop out, or being able to read the time in the dark? Finally, it seems that, with Debaufre, the consumer has a company that appears to have superior customer service, whereas Sandoz's is basically non-existent.

All of this leads me to the question... is the extra money worth it? And, from what you're telling me, it seems the answer is yes.

So, I guess I'll let you guys know when I have the Sandoz's replacement...|> ... Hopefully, this will be the last diver acquisition I need to make.

Apologies for my long-windedness.:oops:

Thanks again,
JTR

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
I just sold my Invicta 8926c. I was quite impressed with it as a <$100 watch, but I don't need 2 Sub homages in the stable. The Ocean 1 stays. In fact, I'm wearing it as I type this.

The extra money is definitely worth it.

In my opinion (others may heartily disagree), the Ocean 1 rivals many watches in the $1,000 range and above. I'm talking brands like Oris, Hamilton, Marathon (tho less than $1000), and nearly anything from Invicta.

If you haven't already, you should check out the Best Submariner Homage thread over in the Affordables Forum. Lots of good information and alternatives there.

My money's still with the Ocean 1.

Let us see it when you get it. :-!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just sold my Invicta 8926c. I was quite impressed with it as a <$100 watch, but I don't need 2 Sub homages in the stable. The Ocean 1 stays. In fact, I'm wearing it as I type this.

The extra money is definitely worth it.

In my opinion (others may heartily disagree), the Ocean 1 rivals many watches in the $1,000 range and above. I'm talking brands like Oris, Hamilton, Marathon (tho less than $1000), and nearly anything from Invicta.

If you haven't already, you should check out the Best Submariner Homage thread over in the Affordables Forum. Lots of good information and alternatives there.

My money's still with the Ocean 1.

Let us see it when you get it. :-!
Will do, as to the pics - and thanks for the thread suggestion. And I also have a similar opinion: I don't need multiple sub homages. So, when the Debaufre comes, the Sandoz goes.

Hopefully, I'll be able to consider the itch scratched at that point...

Cheers,
JTR

·
Registered
22 Posts
Before buying my Ocean 1, I looked everywhere for this type of watch. A local store had the Invicta 8926 with a scalloped bezel. For a sub $100 watch it was very nice, but it felt too light on my wrist. The Debaufre feels more solid and much heavier.

After almost two weeks with the watch, it gains about 7 seconds each day. That's pretty close to COSC requirements.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys,

Apologies for the delay in updating this thread. So, I finally got my Debaufre Ocean 1 Classic. The long and short is that I'm glad that I took the advice that you guys kindly offered here :thanks; the Debaufre really does blow the Sandoz out of the water, and I think the cost differential is definitely worth it. The watch has really exceeded my expectations. The fit and finish is out of this world. The matte dial is really very classy. And, the heft of the watch really exudes quality, as Trieste stated earlier.

Thus far, the movement is pretty accurate (at least in my book). The watch is -3 seconds in 24 hours of wear. I would prefer the movement to be a bit fast rather than a bit slow, but regulation can cure this, I think. Even so, I can definitely live with -3 seconds.

As I stated in an earlier post, I plan to part with the Sandoz. However, before I sell it, I plan to post a short comparo with pics on this forum.

In the meantime, here's a quick wrist shot. |> More pics will follow once the holiday travel season closes.

Cheers,
JTR

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hey Guys,

Just got my Debaufre Ocean Classic Magnum yesterday! It's perfect! Perfect weight, size, dial! I absolutely love it. Such a nice quality piece! This one is definetely a keeper!

Happy New Year!

JF

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As promised, some additional pics of the new Debaufre. I gotta say, I'm still loving this watch and definitely not regretting the purchase. The watch is running at an average of -1 second/24 hours.

I think these shots really capture the beauty of the dial.

Stay tuned for a comparo of the Ocean 1 Classic and the Sandoz (HK) Sub in the reviews section.

Cheers,
JTR

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have owned my Ocean-1 39mm for about 8 months now and I'm wearing it more than any other watch in my collection. Great size for me 7" wrist. Here some shots from today.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Super Macro Mode

1 - 20 of 20 Posts