WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
A while ago this happened to me and I sent it back under warranty. Email them and tell them you have a warranty issue and they will send you info and will pay for the return with FedEx. The problem is that it might take a few weeks, so, if you don't mind the wait, do it.....

Anything I can do about the GMT hand being misaligned? Here's a pic. Thanks.
View attachment 9875258

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was going to buy used, but decided to go new so I'd know for sure the watch wouldn't have any issues lol

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, after having only had it in my possession for 2 days, the watch is back with Steinhart and I'm confident they'll fix it properly, but that they say it will be 4-5 weeks is a slap in the face. A brand new watch shouldn't have been sent out with such an obvious and easily detectible defect in the first place.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Was going to buy used, but decided to go new so I'd know for sure the watch wouldn't have any issues lol
Ironically, you would have been able to see the exact watch you were purchasing had you bought pre owned, and would have known of any GMT hand alignment issues. It's this watch's Achilles Heel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
777 Posts
I am a bit curious here, I don't have any experience with the 2893.
Is it a matter that the 24H hand becomes mis-aligned over time or that it was poorly set at assembly time ?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have the Ocean 1 GMT as well, and there is a slight alignment issue with the GMT hand indexing about 6 minutes before the minute hand hits "12". Not as bad as the OP's issue. It's not just the Steinharts - several "GMT" watches use the ETA 2893 and it seems to be a problem that transcends brands. Of course any competent watchmaker can adjust the hands if you want to pay for it, but Steinhart is rock solid on customer service if you don't mind the wait. Personally I'd contact Steinhart and let them help you. This is a well-known issue, I think they'll help you with no problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Yep, as triumphrox mentions it isn't a Steinhart only problem but a well known problem (only some not all) with the movement itself. Fortunately if the GMT mis-aligns it can be easily fixed. Unfortunate cos' otherwise it is a great workhorse GMT movement.

·
Registered
642 Posts
As disappointing as it is, it happens to all brands.

I picked up a 42mm Planet Ocean 2500D. The 12 o'clock marker was off just a micron. Drove me nuts... but it was a short drive :)

I just bought a new Sinn and it should arrive in a few hours. Even though I requested the company ensure the markers line up exactly, I'm super nervous!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I have to hand it to Steinhart. I just received notice that my watch is repaired and en route back to me. Waaaay quicker than what their email estimates. Props to them.

Well, after having only had it in my possession for 2 days, the watch is back with Steinhart and I'm confident they'll fix it properly, but that they say it will be 4-5 weeks is a slap in the face. A brand new watch shouldn't have been sent out with such an obvious and easily detectible defect in the first place.

·
Premium Member
71,391 Posts
Think of it as getting another new watch. You've had one bite of the cherry and soon you'll be getting another.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hopefully this isn't too common, as I"m selling a watch to help fund the purchase of the Ocean 1 GMT. Glad to hear they handled it properly too. Also, great username!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts