WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm wondering how many octagonal Defy models Zenith made late 60's and early 70's? I collected here some data and photos about the basic Defy models (some reference/catalog numbers are guesses):

-A3641(?) Green/brown sand dial with elongated indeces. Made only with cal. 2552PC.

-A3642 Grey sand dial with almost square chunky indeces. Made with cal. 2552PC and cal. 2562PC (latest versions text 28800 on the dial).

-A3643 Silverwhite dial with elongated indeces. Made with cal. 2552PC and cal. 2562PC (latest versions text 28800 on the dial).

-A3644(?) Shampagne white dial with almost square chunky indeces that were used also on El Primero Espada. Made only with cal. 2552PC. A rare one.

-A3645 Black/charcoal dial with rectangular bar indeces that have lume stripe in the middle. Made with cal. 2552PC and cal. 2562PC (latest versions text 28800 on the dial).

-A3690(?) Turquoise dial with almost square chunky indeces. Made only with cal. 2562P (always text 28800 on the dial).

-A3691 Red/burgundy dial with almost square chunky indeces. Made only with cal. 2562PC.(always text 28800 on the dial).

And then there are the models where crown is at four o'clock, gold versions (with two different dial?) and womens Defy models.

Were here all the basic octagonal Defy models? And please, correct if some details are wrong above.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
That’s terrific. I believe the production numbers on solid gold models were very low. It look to be in terrific condition.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hiding this beauty in a safe is an absolute crime!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here’s a few more pics for anyone who’s interested.

I put it on to a leather strap to preserve the bracelet and it probably gets worn about once a year. Could probably do with a service can anyone recommend anyone reputable in the U.K.?

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,028 Posts
A wonderful watch. I think that we had some idiot on this forum a number of years ago who had one of these melted down for scrap since he couldn't find a buyer who would pay him what he wanted..... :roll: (Or maybe it was some other solid gold Zenith model.)

As for servicing, we have a sticky on the Vintage/PW forum for this sort of thing. Here it is - I hope that it will be of some assistance:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/watch-repair-geographical-location-search-engines-3433002.html

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Interesting, bracelet marked 1/71. Could you show another pic of the back or tell us the case number? Helps to date it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here’s a few more pics for anyone who’s interested.

I put it on to a leather strap to preserve the bracelet and it probably gets worn about once a year. Could probably do with a service can anyone recommend anyone reputable in the U.K.?
Thanks for these pics. It is such a unique piece with that gold bracelet.

What would you and others say about the case of this watch: Has it been ever polished? Edges of the case seems to be very sharp. And does it have exactly the same design of the case as on steel Defy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
To my knowledge is has never been polished as it has never been owned by anyone other than my grandfather and myself. He used to stock zenith watches in his shop back in the day and I guess this was one that he took with him when he closed up shop along with an El Primero that I also recently posted about.

Photo of back of watch attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
A wonderful watch. I think that we had some idiot on this forum a number of years ago who had one of these melted down for scrap since he couldn't find a buyer who would pay him what he wanted..... :roll: (Or maybe it was some other solid gold Zenith model.)

As for servicing, we have a sticky on the Vintage/PW forum for this sort of thing. Here it is - I hope that it will be of some assistance:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f11/watch-repair-geographical-location-search-engines-3433002.html

Hartmut Richter
I remember that. It was a solid gold Espada Martel based watch. They destroyed it for the gold. I didn’t want to mention it here so as not to encourage the practice.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
The gold El Primero G381 is superb, but this stunning gold Zenith Defy ref G 20672 is much rarer.

Still Zenith made at least two production runs of this model : one in 1969 (with cal 2552 PC) and this one in 1971 with cal. 2562 PC and '28800' dial.

However they are so rare that no collectors are searching for them.

Moreover these gold Defy's are very heavy in gold.

As a result the few gold Defy's that were around were often sold for their weight in gold.

On a few occasions I've seen the dials and the movement sold separately, meaning the case was melted.

This is one of the few surviving and absolutely spectacular for its condition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally got round to getting the dial refurbished for my 1972 DEFY. I managed to polish the original crystal which came up remarkably well (IMHO!).
Everything else is as it was in 1972 when I bought it. Case number 336d640. Bracelet 3/70. It is good to be wearing an old friend again!
Here are some rather poor photos, I'll get some better ones in the daylight. P1040418.JPG P1040430.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Hi Andy, Glad it worked out. Great to see this beautiful Zenith Defy A3651 still on the wrist of its first owner.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
-A3644(?) Shampagne white dial with almost square chunky indeces that were used also on El Primero Espada. Made only with cal. 2552PC. A rare one.

The Heritage Department of Zenith told me that this is reference A3673, not A3644 as we assumed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
IMG_20191101_230205_701_1572642400117.jpg

Here a a picture of my Zenith Gay Freres Ladder bracelet. I just noticed that it has integrated endlinks, not ZC enlinks like there usually is on octagonal Defy model. Has any one seen these before?

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. My experience is that the endlinks sometimes have been substituted by other endlinks, however only the ZC endlinks are original.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts