WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. I just received my second Gruen Airflight. This second one flips the hours over at noon - seems to be the usual from searching the 'Net. My first one flips the hours over at 1 pm! To me that makes more sense as noon is 12 hundred hours and it doesn't really need to jump until 1 pm(13:00)...seems odd to think of 12:05 pm as 24:05. IMO it is easier to think of 12:05 am to be 24:05 - anything beyond 23:59 being a new day. I had never given it any thought until I got this other one. Was this a factory special, a modification, or a bungled re-assembly after servicing? I feel stupid for bothering the second seller about it, in my ignorance of what was the usual.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Retroleds!

JohnF would likely be your man for vintage Gruens ... ;-)

·
3,629 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seller connected me to his Gruen guru, who says my first one is right, and all those out there that flip at 12 got that way during servicing by watchrepairperson that didn't think about it. Only question that remains in my mind - why didn't they just put a "0" at the "24" spot, then the flip at 1:00 pm to 13:00 might be a little more apparent of a setup?

I like that "looks like old telephone" comment - absolutely! :-d Gotta love it!

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Hi -

First of all, welcome to WUS! :)

What drives the Gruen Airflight change is a modified date mechanism with the date dial replaced with an appropriately marked date ring that shows the hours from 1-12 on one position and 13-24 in the next. The mechanism is, as could be expected, on the face side of the watch. It's rather simple, "merely" an index on the hours hand that trips a dual spring mechanism every 12 hours (dual because releasing the one spring compresses the other, sometimes done with only one, U-form spring), but getting the spring to move correctly can be a major pain. This was the bane of the this watch: the caliber used was hard to work on, and tended to drift somewhat over time, such that it became erratic after a couple of years.

Great idea, though. :)

JohnF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts