WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been exposed to a lot of vintage LCD's and just about nothing surprises me, but this Seiko that I recently acquired made me say "what the?"

The condition is really bad, but at least it runs!

Not only are the controls mapped to the crown, the case construction is the weirdest thing I've seen in a watch. (But of course my exposure is limited.) It has a nested design like those really old wind-up watches, but the watch is waterproof and the main block is a heavy piece of stainless steel.

According to the serial number, it was produced December of 1976.

Isn't it weird?

By the way, pressing the crown IN activates an old-school light bulb

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
Very nice watch indeed. The single multi-function crown control is decidedly a departure from the more common push button setups used at the time.

Worth doing some TLC/restoration work to the case and add a new stainless steel or leather bracelet.

Doesn't look bad for a 33 year old watch.|>

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
cool set up. That kind of case construction is called a pie-pan style case. Seiko used it in a number of touneau cased watches in the 1970's.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
My guess is that it' is a simply issue of cost. It is more expensive to build two caseback than to just build one. also additional casebacks means additional opportunities for water/humidity intrusion, which probably meant more warranty repairs. That said not all manufacturers have abandoned this. Nike uses this set up in all their oriegon line, Highgear uses it in the Altis (don't know about the others), and of course swatch uses it in almost all their models (though in all fairness swatch movements are encapsulated so there is no second caseback, only the battery hatch).

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,392 Posts
No school like the old school :-! That is a fine looking LCD.

It's a bit of a shame that a display back is really not an option with the solid case. Seeing the full keyless works on an electronic module is unique

1 - 8 of 8 Posts