WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased an Archimede Pilot watch in PVD (generic photo attached) which generally looks a lot like a Night Train - something Night Train owners might be interested in as a cheap alternative when you don't want to risk damage to the bad boy.

But the reason I posted this is as follows:
This Archimede is equipped with the lowest grade of ETA 2824 movement there is. It has a display back (WHY!~) and the movement is not only not decorated, it does not even say Archimede on it!
You can only buy these from a website out of the United States, and the current price on this model is $495 and going up, due to the US dollar thing.
Anyway, it felt like it was running fast, so as I do with all my watches I went right over to my trusted watchmaker. He put it on the timing machine (which cost $9000, as he ALWAYS points out) and it was consistantly around 10-12 seconds fast in all positions. He then adjusted the regulator screw to bring it down to zero (dial down of course, it was on the machine). Turned over, it also read between 0 and -1 dial up. This took all of 30 seconds or so.
In the last 24 hours, this watch is running -1 second.
Soooo, my point is, you should take your new watch down to a good watchmaker and have him check it out (warranty issues if he opens the back and regulates are another matter I don't want to start with). Almost every new mechanical watch I have ever had needed a bit a tweaking. It is normal!
So instead of going nuts up here over timekeeping, have a pro check it out, it is cheap and painless, and testing on a VibraGraph does not void any warranty, as you do not even open the back. He can tell you right away if the watch is right or if there is a problem, which you can deal with under the warranty if you choose. This service should not cost any more than $20, and the timing check should be able to be done on the spot as you wait.
So here we have the lowest grade (ebauche) of ETA movement keeping COSC time, as do ALL my Ball watches.
BTW my Arabic Chronometers did not need adjustment, they tested out perfect.

This is just by way of a tip for newbie mechanical watch owners. You really can not expect perfection out of the box, but instead of wondering if there is a problem, just have it checked out and you will know for sure. If there is a problem, Ball will take care of it. But ALL mechaincals need reglation at some point, it is a machine and ALL machines get adjusted from time to time.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Well put Scott. I can't say enough about having someone competent work with you and your watches.

Like Scott said, the key is keeping good records, knowing what your watch does, and being able to communicate that to the watchmaker.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And one more thing. Find a GOOD local watchmaker and GIVE HIM SOME BUSINESS. It is almost a lost art these days, help keep the good ones in business, or we will all be wearing quartz watches one day.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Agreed. after reading your post I told Liz I was going over to my watchmaker to regulate a watch and price a watch for her.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course not, my point was that any ETA movement is capable of excellent accuracy. Guys should worry less about what grade of movement Ball is using and more about having a watch professionally maintained.
FWIW I asked my watchmaker about the movements in the Night Train and the Archimede (which by the way is made by Ickler, which is the main case maker, they might even make cases for Ball). He said the Archimede is not decorated or high grade, but the parts are really the same. It only really gets better with a certified Chronometer movement. So there you have it.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Archimede is sort of the low end of Limes, the company owned by the famous Ickler family.

I think Scott is saying that we need to be aware of maintenenace, no different than maintaining guns, bikes, instruments, or whatever hobby we have. We can't just be spectators if we want to achieve the most we can from our watches.

And some might think we are all nuts, and anything within half a minute is ok. I know I say this a lot but I wear mechanical timepieces and I wear them as if they are my only time source. I love wearing these miniature engineering marvels, and what is more amazing is seeing some well maintained vintage pieces, especially Hamilton military watches with workhorse 747 movements still keeping time to within seconds a day. I should know...I have one from WW II that is within 4 seconds a week.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Not to deviate from your point, but that Archimede pic gives me yet another strap idea for my NT. I think I'm going to get a black Jurgen tropic strap now.

Rob

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad I could help!
I actually have it on a Hadley-Roma PVD bracelet. The end pieces do not fit perfectly, but it is close enough for Government work, and I am a government worker!
sure wish they made a 21mm PVD bracelet
Hello Ball! Are you listening???

·
Registered
76 Posts
Glad I could help!
I actually have it on a Hadley-Roma PVD bracelet. The end pieces do not fit perfectly, but it is close enough for Government work, and I am a government worker!
sure wish they made a 21mm PVD bracelet
Hello Ball! Are you listening???
listening ???
watching every keystroke !!!
alas - we don't do PVD !!!
we do DLC (diamond like carbon).

how would you like a combination DLC and hard rubber bracelet in alternating links? (we're not happy with the notion of putting two extremely "hard" links adjacent to each other - the result would be their mutual destruction).

you tell us if mixed media would be an appealing construction approach?
thanks
marc

·
Registered
36 Posts
today, saw at a watch dealer in malaysia...cost approx. US Dollar 1,2xx...

white dial with s/steel bracelet, black dial with black leather

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Marc
Did that blacklight thingy work out?

Check out my bracelet pics in the other PVD thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts