WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Recently I seem to be plagued by a reoccurring vundo virus when browsing the net.

It's Trojan horse that attaches itself in 'system32'. My avast virus shield picks it up every time but I'm fed up with sirens going off! I have loads of spyware programs etc but it keeps popping up.

As i do most of my browsing here I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem? Or if not maybe I could advise a virus check. spyware sweep?

Thanks

It isn't a harmful virus so I'm not trying to casue concern, it's just an irritant!o|

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Hi all,

Recently I seem to be plagued by a reoccurring

virus when browsing the net.
It's Trojan horse that attaches itself in 'system32'. My avast virus shield picks it up every time but I'm fed up with sirens going off! I have loads of spyware programs etc but it keeps popping up.
As i do most of my browsing here I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem? Or if not maybe I could advise a virus check. spyware sweep?
Thanks
It isn't a harmful virus so I'm not trying to casue concern, it's just an irritant!o|
I've not had any warnings coming up of late and I actually did a system wide check a few days ago as part of my regular checks. :think: These days it always seems to easy to pick up things like this unfortunately.

Symantec says it's picked up by visiting links in infected e-mails but presumably that could apply to a link from here. Though you would have thought that this forum was pretty well protected.:think:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it's living in my system as I'll do a clean sweep. Then I'll be browsing, the sirens go off and Avast has found a vundo!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Lex I'll take a look, but as I say I don't think I have the virus in the system, it's stopping it getting in which seems to be the problem. Also I don't have any of the symptoms of it, I just keep getting bombarded by it, It's weird!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi hoochy

Not encountered that trojan. I use a mac most of the time so I dont ever get a problem. However my ibook just died last night after lots of use so I am now using the girlfriends PC. I'm using AVG free 8 and Adaware and seems OK. I've had trojans at work wriggle into the network before.

Matt

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the vundo fix lex mentioned and the system swept clean.

Then half an hour later, the Avast warning screen pops up with virus detected. Win32:[email protected] [Trj]

It has been removed but sooner or later another will find it's way in! It's like I'm somehow attracting them! In all my years of having computers this is the first reoccurring virus I've had!

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,590 Posts
Hi Hoochy,

It sounds like a very nasty bug... I have no experience with this one. My system just finished full virus check. It seems I'm clean. Good luck getting rid of it. Too bad concentrated sulfuric acid doesn't cure it. I just got 2.5l of that stuff in my lab as a gift yesterday;-)

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
One small point, have you tried clearing your "System Restore" It could well be that it's entrenched in your registry there and it's that which your Avast is finding. :think: May be worth a try.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Turn off system restore, clean the registry for errors and delete temp files, recycle bin etc. Go into safe mode and then run vundo fixer. If that doesn't do it, let me know.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just downloaded the latest free version of ad aware and ran a full scan. It picked up an adware agent in windows, system32 which wasn't a vundo virus. I think that may of been responsible!

Spyware Doctor, spybot, spyblaster and other programs missed it though! Interesting!

Thank you for all the advice, I knew if I didn't stumble across the answer one of you guys would know it!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aaaarrggghhh!!! FFS! Just after I typed my last message another vundo alert!

C:\WINDOWS\system32\tuvWnKdb.dll

Win32:[email protected] [Trj]

Gonna take the steps mentioned by pete

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Aaaarrggghhh!!! FFS! Just after I typed my last message another vundo alert!
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tuvWnKdb.dll
Win32:[email protected] [Trj]
Gonna take the steps mentioned by pete
Yes you need to clear out any potential hiding places and work in safe mode with the tool but it looks like a bit of a nasty one!

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I think whatever you do, you need to do it in safe mode. The dll probably can't be deleted if it's in use (which I'm guessing it will be from the time you boot up). Safe mode may get around that. I second clearing your sytem restore first too.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Also, try deleting all cookies and temporary internet files on your computer - I've seen those infected a few times.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Turn off system restore, clean the registry for errors and delete temp files, recycle bin etc. Go into safe mode and then run vundo fixer. If that doesn't do it, let me know.
Like I said about 7 posts ago, follow my instructions and let me know if it works, if not, I'll advise you further.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
For Vundo bleeping computer has one of the best STEP BY STEP guides on how to remove it...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic18610.html

again... best if you print it out and follow it STEP BY STEP otherwise you'll never clean anything... any antivirus or spyware removal tool is usless against Vundo or varians so don't bother with it until you execute everything from a page I've just sent you...

Be free to PM me if this does not work. Viruses , Intrusions Spyware Trojans and Adaware (haha... anyone got a joke here? LOL... now you know what VISTA really stands for... ) is one of my fav comp sci subjects and I'd be glad to help... :-!;-)

P.S.

If you still have a problem AFTER you execute all the steps PM me or post here your HijackThis log.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts