WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread on these new Seiko 38.5mm Solar Divers which appear to be out in the wild now. I've seen a few Watchuseek posts with people wearing these. Please post up your photos and and relevant videos. I might pick up one of these in the future if I can get a good deal. I've hyperlinked the model names with the product links on the Seiko Global web page. I like the size and the fact that they have a sapphire crystal, but a bit disappointed the bracelet models only have folded end links. Kind of a steep asking price for a rather basic V157 Solar quartz watch.

Solar Quartz Caliber V157 (10 month power reserve)
Stainless Steel Case
Sapphire Crystal
Thickness: 10.6㎜
Diameter: 38.5㎜
Length: 46.5㎜
Price: $475 USD strap /$500 USD bracelet

SNE569P1

SNE571P1

SNE573P1

SNE575P1

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
These look like very reasonable tough everyday wear watches. Probably great performers. If I did not already have an SSC017 I'd consider one of these for a solar model. I'm sure there are those who'd argue but these could be future SKX-popular. Though I do think the prices are slightly higher than they should be but you do get ISO rating, sapphire and quartz accuracy. I think it's a great lineup.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Couldn’t tell from the “38.5mm” in the title that it would be too small for you? Too small for you, but maybe not others. Plenty of 40+ mm size watches already for you to choose from. Size of a watch is a subjective preference after all…

This is the first sub 40mm Seiko Solar Diver that has actually been released in the North American market for some time. I enjoy watches of all sizes, but the addition of a sapphire crystal on a solar quartz diver is my interest in this piece.

·
Registered
586 Posts
All 4 variations look great in person. Left the shop with the black dial /black bezel for its timeless classic good looks. Watch is nicely proportioned, sits low on the wrist and wears very comfortably. The stock silicone strap is ok but not great and a tad too long. Heres a wrist shot with a Barton elite 👍. Very happy with my new acquisition.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Exactly my thoughts too. Black bezel + bracelet is my ideal configuration 👍. I may order the bracelet at some later date and wish someone like strapcode will make one with solid endlinks instead of hollow from Seiko. The other colourways just did not sing to me. With that said, I think the colourways will appeal to those who prefer something different from the traditional submariner look. The metallic brown bezel will look very nice on a lady's wrist I think. Heres a side by side comparison of the black bezel with its bigger brother for those who are interested.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow looks bigger than a 38.5mm in that photo. I just picked up an SPB143 a month ago and like that size (40-41mm). I sometimes feel like 38mm divers are too small, however, they wear really comfortably. A Strapcode bracelet would be welcomed. I was disappointed to see the stock Seiko bracelet has folded end links (especially given the steep asking price). I doubt given the price, the fact it’s a solar quartz (not an automatic) and the small 38.5mm size will make this a popular enough model for Strapcode to make a bracelet. I’ve been a bad boy and bought about 5 watches in the last 6-7 months so I have to cool my jets for a while on any new purchases.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I think these look nice (enough). Not my exit watch nice so dang it; might just get one as the search continues. Seeing as my turtle is starting to dance it's last dance after 5 years of enjoyment and the fact that I can't (won't) subject any of my other seiko autos to the same level of "abuse" and I don't always want to strap on the G shock, well- I need a new analogue beater.

·
Registered
586 Posts
With that sapphire crystal, drilled thru lugs, good classic submariner look, nice & thin profile, solar powered, not so pricey, this is a near perfect beater watch for me that I can just slap on my wrist and its good to go without having to reset the time like an auto (I rotate my watches). All I need now is someone to come up with a decent bracelet with solid end links !

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
My first reaction was awesome looking watch, second reaction was $500!? For a quartz watch? And that cheap hollow end link bracelet? bleh.

Seiko is getting more and more divorced from reality every year it seems.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Very close to ordering either the blue or black version. I emailed Sakura about getting the black dialed version with a bracelet, and they're checking with their supplier to see if they can order bracelets separately.

1 - 20 of 256 Posts