WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I like it, looks really nice and it seems to be even bigger then the current Frogman, it seems to be Raysman size! Which I like. I like the military Humvee inspired design, very macho!:-!

I do not see the clutter many are speaking about. To me it do not seem anymore cluttered compared to many other G-Shocks. And frankly the Frogman is not a serious divers watch, it never was, as so is not any other G either. Its mostly a desk diver with diver capability for recreational dives.

With the Frogman it is all about the variation, the limited editions, the style and coolness, and the feeling of quality.

As for the material used, since it is DLC coated I must presume it is not aluminum used. I have never seen DLC coated aluminum. Its heavy at 115 gram so it must be either Titanium or maybe SS.

So we can conclude I like it?

But what do I not like?

Well ofcourse the price tag. Its very expensive, but Casio seem to want to move upmarket and have a premium line of G-Shocks mostly for the Japanese market. I am not sure Casio will release a non atomic version of this one. I think they might keep the current GW-200 line running. When we had the DW-8200 they released the DW-9900 but still kept the DW-8200 models running at the same time...

The question is then if that is the case will they only continue making a ton of limited releases only of the GW-200 model or will they also start doing the same for this new Atomic Frogman? or will it remain just a serious "Stiff Frogman"? like the robotic Frog symbolises hehe:-d

·
Registered
999 Posts
According to the translated version of the Casio website, it will have a DLC coating like the GW-5000, which may factor into the cost. I'd assume the case is some type of Ti alloy. It also mentions something about the face (under the crystal) having some machined aluminum features.

·
7,946 Posts
The only thing that entered my mind when looking at it is Hmmmmmm It has some potential, but I don't know.....I'd have to see some real world photos, too many times I base my opinions on Casio's marketing shots (See Riseman release photos) and then members start posting their shots here.

By the way, don't take that pricing as definitive.....too many times we get turned off by initial pricing only to find that the Yen to Dollar conversions affect that greatly as well as store discounts.

+1

..and what's with that silly toy-looking 'G' letter in the middle of the circle? :rodekaart
That G is most likely the Atomic Signal indicator.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well......I don't know what to say really. I think that the standard version looks relatively nice but if you ask me I prefer 100% the GW200 and the DW8200 versions. Also, the price is very high and if the DLC has something to do with it then I hope Casio will produce non-DLC versions.

So....for now I must say that I won't buy this G :think: ....
....of course nobody knows what will happen in the future

·
G-Shock Mod
14,339 Posts
if the huge bottons are metal, then that's the only real break through i see in the new frogman

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
How is DLC that helpful on a watch covered mostly by resin? Seems like an unneeded whistle that just jacks up the price. Doubt I'll get one at that price.

·
Registered
496 Posts
How is DLC that helpful on a watch covered mostly by resin? Seems like an unneeded whistle that just jacks up the price. Doubt I'll get one at that price.
I think this time DLC is mainly used as colouring just like the ion plating on the gold & black themed DW-8200B released in 96. At that time black IP was really something fancy.
The point is that DLC gives you the feeling of gun metal. And the texture seems to be different according to ambient light. It's quite interesting actually. In sunlight it appears to be silver, like plain metal, but under desklight it's completely black.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I think this time DLC is mainly used as colouring just like the ion plating on the gold & black themed DW-8200B released in 96. At that time black IP was really something fancy.
The point is that DLC gives you the feeling of gun metal. And the texture seems to be different according to ambient light. It's quite interesting actually. In sunlight it appears to be silver, like plain metal, but under desklight it's completely black.
Thats because DLC like diamond and graphite is a crystaline structure with many layers on top of eachother. If you look at a pencill, the tip will appear dark grey or light grey in weaker light but given enough light it will be a slight silver shimmer to it. DLC do have that same transparency and the silver or grey back case can shine trough the dark DLC coating in sunlight giving it a gun metal or silvery look.

I wonder what degree of hardness they choosed for the DLC in this new GWF-1000 Frogman?

There exists different grades of hardness for DLC, this could be seen in the MRG-7500 VS MRG-8100 where the MRG-8100 had the highest grade that is 3-4 times more expensive and very hard to handle during manufacturing, while the MRG-7500 had lower cheaper grade with more plastic in it, so we did see some reports on scratches on the 7500 model.

The question is if this Frogman have the same type of DLC as the MRG-8100?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I understand that Casio want/need to move the marque more up market, as they are seeing fierce competition from other manufacturers, however the new Frogman is not the way ahead. As Tribe stated it is completely the opposite of what you would expect a dive watch to be, and the pricing is simply ludicrous. Many here wont like this, The Frogman becoming a fashion watch, and rapidly loosing touch with it`s roots and initial purpose.

G-Shock has always been synonymous with durability & usability, fit for purpose, etc. Ever wondered why some military dive units issue the venerable PAG-40? could it be something to do with the large clear display and reasonable cost, as opposed to the ISO rated Frogman :think:

They are at best a $250 watch, no more. The present GW-200 Frogman can be picked up for as little as $185 shipped in some locals. In my neck of the woods, they are priced around $200 - $220 no magic simply supply & demand they are not viewed as being anything out of the ordinary, iconic, or special and struggle to be sold even at this pricing. As long as people are willing to pay these elevated prices elsewhere, Casio and the distributers will continue with this upward spiraling pricing strategy.

I have said it before and I will reiterate "if you pay much more than $250 for an in production, non limited Frogman you are being ripped off" Casio and the distributors here in the Middle East are not a charity and clearly are still making a reasonable profit.

Had the new Frogman offered a larger clearer display, akin to the SeaPathfinder/Protrek lines, depth meter, multiple dive timers, dive log, dive memory, dive profiles the price can be justified. The SPF-100S offers all this barring a large display and more.

Casio really need to think about this path, it may take their watches up market, however the average guy is going to start looking elsewhere for that work/beater value for money watch. S-Shock and the likes are frequently berated for their copycat tactics, and so the should be. Yet by the same rule some of these companies are coming into their own, with in-house designs, which in some respects beat Casio at their own game with clear readable displays, solar power, shock resistance (they have copied Casio long enough to understand how it all works) fair functionality, good build quality and all at very reasonable prices...

Q-6

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Still torn about this one. The more I stare at it the more it grows on me. Maybe I should stop staring.

·
Registered
165 Posts
the the normal version looks great, i hope its buyable in uk or from us for me, i think i must have it. cheap as possible.

i think its great having a solar-atomic frog :)

cant wait for release :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thats because DLC like diamond and graphite is a crystaline structure with many layers on top of eachother. If you look at a pencill, the tip will appear dark grey or light grey in weaker light but given enough light it will be a slight silver shimmer to it. DLC do have that same transparency and the silver or grey back case can shine trough the dark DLC coating in sunlight giving it a gun metal or silvery look.

I wonder what degree of hardness they choosed for the DLC in this new GWF-1000 Frogman?

There exists different grades of hardness for DLC, this could be seen in the MRG-7500 VS MRG-8100 where the MRG-8100 had the highest grade that is 3-4 times more expensive and very hard to handle during manufacturing, while the MRG-7500 had lower cheaper grade with more plastic in it, so we did see some reports on scratches on the 7500 model.

The question is if this Frogman have the same type of DLC as the MRG-8100?
I've got one MRG-7500 and one 7100. The colours are indeed slightly different. I wonder how's the DLC on GW-5000.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I think they might keep the current GW-200 line running. When we had the DW-8200 they released the DW-9900 but still kept the DW-8200 models running at the same time... :-d

joakim, interesting thoughts. i think there is an even more current example to point to of this strategy. i don't know if the line is drawn so much between 'atomic' and 'non atomic' as it is between price points or just production efficiencies.

i'm thinking of the gwm5600 vs the other current small-square, non-atomic g-shocks. the gwm5600 has been out for a while now, and we've only seen it in plain, bc, miro, and glorious gold. and those later two - limited editions perhaps - are far less "limited" than the various little boutique collaborations featured on mygshock or even just in local markets. these smaller mashups are always on the older [and yup, non-atomic] small squares.

maybe this will continue with the frogman. we'll see a new color or two of the gwf-1000 every year (if that), while the gw-200 continues to be issued in sharp new designs every couple of months. could be!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It`s the new Dollarman master of emptying wallets, Casio just needs to change the name, at these prices. For $725 you can buy a seriously good diver and get change for a decent G like the new G-7900 :-d :-d :-d

Q-6

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Like Dougie said I will wait to see some wrist shots before making up my mind if I like it :think: As far as the list price goes thats absurd. Hey If you like it and want to get one thats great. :roll: :roll: I for one decide thinking about durabiliy, legibility, function and value not allways in that order. Maybe if they sell enough of these the next verison can go for over 1,000 us dollars o|o|

·
Registered
505 Posts
if the huge bottons are metal, then that's the only real break through i see in the new frogman
I had the same thought last night. The metal buttons on previous Frogs gave a clue to the tough casing underneath the tough resin!
Those look like Gulfman buttons - that was always a design feature that turned me off.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts