WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
It`s the new Dollarman master of emptying wallets, Casio just needs to change the name, at these prices. For $725 you can buy a seriously good diver and get change for a decent G like the new G-7900 :-d :-d :-d

Q-6
Who said watch buying is a rational behaviour?:-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Who said watch buying is a rational behaviour?:-d:-d:-d
True, I just feel Casio is milking this one, not that others dont. The watch brings nothing new to the table, and moves ever further away from it`s roots.

Will I buy one, only for $200 - $250, and truthfully the new G-7900 will probably be a better choice. It`s not the cost, it`s the value for money, and at this price point you are in serious competition with some very nice pieces, which offer much better value.

Q-6

·
Registered
904 Posts
I like it BUT for the price, it opens up to a whole new sets of watches that I would buy instead. Since I am also a seiko fan, i can get another seiko sumo AND a gw200 frog for the price of this one frog. and i think these 2 watches will give me a bigger satisfaction against this one forg alone.

again i like it and i wont put a ceiling to how much any watch should cost. just that at a new price bracket, i have more to consider and this makes it tougher to go with the new frog. that's all...

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Did anyone else noticed how they shuffled the buttons on this model?

MODE is now a fifth button on the right hand side rather than bottom left like it used to be. Also, I'm finding it a welcome addition that "light" is on top right rather than "G" button.

Both of these will take some time to get used to...

Also, to me at least, digital portion looks IDENTICAL to what we've seen on GW-6900. While not bad this almost automatically means no time in any other mode other than time.

Another curious thing... on current gen Frog dive mode was my favorite mode... it was actually a stopwatch that showed start time, current time and elapsed time at the same time on the screen... there is no hopes whatsoever that this one can display same information in "dive mode".

Anyhow, the more I look at this, the more this feels like "give RISEMAN designer a job of designing a new frog"... but RISEMAN is one of the best and most functional Gs ever made... frog however due to display design just won't be able to touch it in "real life usfulness" category. A shame really...

I'd also like to ask a question: Why in a world would you advertize this watch as ISO diver? Does casio wants to imply that other Gs are not ISO certified even thou they're also 200m WR? Wierd... and for the love of me I can't see why would you put moon phase and tide graph on a dive watch?

Du no... I'll get this frog for the same reason as WAH WAH... as a Frog lover I just HAVE to have multiband 6 frog (plus I dig the look of new one) but even I already have to admit that this has far less practical usage than RISEMAN and it costs 4 times more than RISEMAN... :think:

SIDENOTE: BIG KUDOS to Casio for using OLD frog as basis of this design. I love the OLD frog much better than current gen model. TWO BIG THUMBS UP for this!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Oh yeah, I had to let it sink-in for a day, but this watch is really something I like. Never really cared much for the Frogman series. Since the recent introduction of the toxic green Froggie, however, I seem to appreciate them better. This new revamped Atomic and DLC coated model steals the show for me... No joke!
Not decided yet, but it might happen.... :-s
Cheers!
Jurphaas :)

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Did anyone else noticed how they shuffled the buttons on this model?

MODE is now a fifth button on the right hand side rather than bottom left like it used to be. Also, I'm finding it a welcome addition that "light" is on top right rather than "G" button.

Both of these will take some time to get used to...

Also, to me at least, digital portion looks IDENTICAL to what we've seen on GW-6900. While not bad this almost automatically means no time in any other mode other than time.

Another curious thing... on current gen Frog dive mode was my favorite mode... it was actually a stopwatch that showed start time, current time and elapsed time at the same time on the screen... there is no hopes whatsoever that this one can display same information in "dive mode".

Anyhow, the more I look at this, the more this feels like "give RISEMAN designer a job of designing a new frog"... but RISEMAN is one of the best and most functional Gs ever made... frog however due to display design just won't be able to touch it in "real life usfulness" category. A shame really...

I'd also like to ask a question: Why in a world would you advertize this watch as ISO diver? Does casio wants to imply that other Gs are not ISO certified even thou they're also 200m WR? Wierd... and for the love of me I can't see why would you put moon phase and tide graph on a dive watch?

Du no... I'll get this frog for the same reason as WAH WAH... as a Frog lover I just HAVE to have multiband 6 frog (plus I dig the look of new one) but even I already have to admit that this has far less practical usage than RISEMAN and it costs 4 times more than RISEMAN... :think:

SIDENOTE: BIG KUDOS to Casio for using OLD frog as basis of this design. I love the OLD frog much better than current gen model. TWO BIG THUMBS UP for this!
Tide graph for beach diving can be a big deal as far as getting into the surf at say low tide vs high tide it varies depending on the beach and if there are rocks or access problems. La Jolla Cove in San Diego is much easier to get into in low tide there is twice as much beach as high tide. The beach area there is very small.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Some latest info about retail price:

I just searched on Rakuten, one of the main Japan auction sites. A few sellers are offering preorders for 49980 Yen, that's 328 pounds, or about $ 534 US dollars (including tax and shipment within Japan). So the price is pretty much like expected. Usually the G-SHOCKs on Rakuten would be slightly more expansive than on Yahoo Auction but then we need to consider international shipment, so it should be around that much.

http://esearch.rakuten.co.jp/rms/sd...00&v=2&s=2&p=0&sitem=FROGMAN GWF-1000&g=0&f=A

There's one guy offering oversea preorders, but he's asking for 440 pounds.<|

·
Registered
747 Posts
At that price, I may just get a new GLOCK instead. o|

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah Trozau - the big disadvantage though is that with the Glock only the guy at the receiving end can tell what time it is.....:think:
Cheers!
Jurphaas :-d

·
Registered
279 Posts
Has anyone a clue about the features regarding stopwatch and countdown timer? I will be pleased if the stopwatch goes longer than 60 mins, with 1/100 and if there are a 24 hr countdown with 1/10 and not just seconds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, A Frogman with a depthmeter and even saturation information like the SPF 100 S ! M. Casio if you read me, think about it.

I can't understand why Casio don't produce such watches. They would instantaneously kill Citizen, who has roughly no competitor on the market of the good, solid, diving watch with depthmeter.

I understand that Casio want/need to move the marque more up market, as they are seeing fierce competition from other manufacturers, however the new Frogman is not the way ahead. As Tribe stated it is completely the opposite of what you would expect a dive watch to be, and the pricing is simply ludicrous. Many here wont like this, The Frogman becoming a fashion watch, and rapidly loosing touch with it`s roots and initial purpose.

G-Shock has always been synonymous with durability & usability, fit for purpose, etc. Ever wondered why some military dive units issue the venerable PAG-40? could it be something to do with the large clear display and reasonable cost, as opposed to the ISO rated Frogman :think:

They are at best a $250 watch, no more. The present GW-200 Frogman can be picked up for as little as $185 shipped in some locals. In my neck of the woods, they are priced around $200 - $220 no magic simply supply & demand they are not viewed as being anything out of the ordinary, iconic, or special and struggle to be sold even at this pricing. As long as people are willing to pay these elevated prices elsewhere, Casio and the distributers will continue with this upward spiraling pricing strategy.

I have said it before and I will reiterate "if you pay much more than $250 for an in production, non limited Frogman you are being ripped off" Casio and the distributors here in the Middle East are not a charity and clearly are still making a reasonable profit.

Had the new Frogman offered a larger clearer display, akin to the SeaPathfinder/Protrek lines, depth meter, multiple dive timers, dive log, dive memory, dive profiles the price can be justified. The SPF-100S offers all this barring a large display and more.

Casio really need to think about this path, it may take their watches up market, however the average guy is going to start looking elsewhere for that work/beater value for money watch. S-Shock and the likes are frequently berated for their copycat tactics, and so the should be. Yet by the same rule some of these companies are coming into their own, with in-house designs, which in some respects beat Casio at their own game with clear readable displays, solar power, shock resistance (they have copied Casio long enough to understand how it all works) fair functionality, good build quality and all at very reasonable prices...

Q-6

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yeah Trozau - the big disadvantage though is that with the Glock only the guy at the receiving end can tell what time it is.....:think:
Cheers!
Jurphaas :-d
LOL :-d I'll be sure to buy another new cheapo multiband 6 atomic/tough solar G-Shock to go with the new GLOCK to remedy that situation.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
if they sell enough of these the next verison can go for over 1,000 us dollars o|o|
i'm actualy thinking about what JERSTERCA said.Wonder if curent frogman will drop it's price,since it's not the latest one :).Maybe now i can buy one:p

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
i'm actualy thinking about what JERSTERCA said.Wonder if curent frogman will drop it's price,since it's not the latest one :).Maybe now i can buy one:p

It makes me wonder if I need the MS Frog :think: now why they are still some out there for under 300.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts

...been out for 4 days only, and this is what I get?:-do|o|

HAHA! "Generally", I do adore the new frog.:p:p:p:p:p:p

BUT.... the price is WAAAAYYYYY UP as expected.:-x

.....I definitely would love to have one though.
;-)

------wrist shot, Wah...:) I'm pretty sure you're gonna be one of the early birds..|>

·
Registered
457 Posts
On the left side of the watch face, what are those two bulging bumps? Sensors of some kind or just buttons protected with plastic?

61 - 80 of 82 Posts