WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2748 Posts

·
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seiko’s newest 2018 6R15 Prospex Diver is a modern interpretation of the iconic 6159-7001. Sure there’s the Hi Beat SLA025/SBEX007, but at $5,400 it will be out of reach for most Seiko fans.

The SPB077 & SPB079/ SBDC061-SBDC063 will be $1,050 & $850. I’m sure street price will be 20%-25% lower.

Some specifications:

Photos from Hodinkee:

SPB077

SPB079

Hands on review

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/seiko-prospex-spb077-spb079-hands-on

I’m looking forward to see these in the flesh. Like the 051/053, these should be very popular

Cheers
Shannon

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
In before the inevitable "wish it was 40mm" and "6r15 in a $1000 watch!?" comments. Not bad looking but just looks like they've been a bit lazy with the design to me, considering the similarities to the SPB051/53. Definitely nice to see Seiko making AR sapphires and good bracelets more common though. It would be nice if they'd start using ratcheting diver's extensions on the clasps too, don't think it's too much to ask really.

·
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Love these new divers! I'll definitely be picking one up once they hit familiar dealer sites.
I just got off the phone with Rane @ Time Zone, no release date yet They’ll have more info in June

Reactions: tsteph12

·
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In before the inevitable "wish it was 40mm" and "6r15 in a $1000 watch!?" comments. Personally I think this is really similar to the SRPB51 but not as good looking. Although saying that I don't really love the lug design on either of them.
Really don’t want this thread to turn into a size / 6R15 debate.
Does Seiko need to make a mid/ higher end 40mm diver... yes! But this one isn’t it. Trust me, It’s going to be worth every penny/yen

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Definitely worth it for the solid construction of these which I think have to resemble the larger cousins to feel genuinely re-interpretative (if that’s even a word).

My only criticism is like the MM300 the crown is not aligned with the 4 o clock index. It bothers me on the 300 but could be forgiven maybe on these. Maybe that’s a part of the re-interpreting.

Just glad the SLA/SBEX version is faithful to the original 4 o’clock alignment.

·
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not bad looking but just looks like they've been a bit lazy with the design to me, considering the similarities to the SPB051/53. Definitely nice to see Seiko making AR sapphires and good bracelets more common though. It would be nice if they'd start using ratcheting diver's extensions on the clasps too, don't think it's too much to ask really.
Other than hands, white date wheel & coin edge bezel, they’re totally different IMO. Agree the MM ratcheting clasp should be standard issue. Considering they’re only around $40 at AD’s cost.

·
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a spare set of MM hands saved just for this piece

Shamelessly stolen from the web🤡

·
Registered
397 Posts
Love the case! but thats about it. Im not buying another 6r15 diver. My sumo and 051 are great. They can use those hands the first time. The next time, nah ah.

of course, I said that about the 051.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Definitely worth it for the solid construction of these which I think have to resemble the larger cousins to feel genuinely re-interpretative (if that’s even a word).

My only criticism is like the MM300 the crown is not aligned with the 4 o clock index. It bothers me on the 300 but could be forgiven maybe on these. Maybe that’s a part of the re-interpreting.

Just glad the SLA/SBEX version is faithful to the original 4 o’clock alignment.
Aaaaah, after owning a year, you just made me look at my Sinn UX and realize it’s crown is at 4:10 ish. Thanks for the OCD trigger :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Aaaaah, after owning a year, you just made me look at my Sinn UX and realize it’s crown is at 4:10 ish. Thanks for the OCD trigger :)

yep, you'll never not notice ever again ;)

When there's so little between watches these days, it's the little things that can make the difference.

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
Never liked the MM300....have one
Never liked the Tuna......have one, had many

growing on me.....

i have culled a few non-seikos and am holding off on any new purchases until these have started to hit the market....that said, the new Landmaster is a nice piece.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Question for you folks more steeped in Seiko wisdom than I...

Is the 079 essentially a thinner version (IMO a good thing) of the mm300 case (understanding that it’s not a monoblock)?

For example is the case width, bezel width and lug to lug length the same?

The reason I ask is that I am wondering about fit on my 6.75-7” Flatish wrist. There is lots of info on mm300 and if they are the same except the 079 is thinner then I could extrapolate from the mm300 and get an idea on how the 79 would fit.

My guess is that the 079 will wear smaller than the dimensions indicate, like a sumo. The bezel is probably 42mm and the lug shape looks like it may make it wear a bit shorter than 51mm (I think that’s what I’ve read for length).

While initially intrigued by the SPB051/3 I think the face is better balanced in these with the circular indices giving more space to the large handset giving an overall less crowded feel. Sure wish it had MM300 hands or something similar.

Thanks!

Pics from a blog to watch.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not sure if this helps:

(that's my 7 - 7 1/4" wrist)
From what I read, the MarineMaster is 50mm, the new SPB077 51mm from lug to log.

It certainly feels a lot flatter that the MM300 on the wrist. If anything, it has an even bigger footprint (since the MM300 curves heavily towards the bottom).

1 - 20 of 2748 Posts