WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

9101 - 9120 of 9417 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
So, within 2 weeks of each other.....WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!

Oh yea, the 2 I have been striving for and at close to the same price for each....

Let the fire sale begin!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Hi Brash,

I am actually going between a blue BB58 and blue SMP 300 as my diver for my collection. Based on your impressions of both, which would you recommend? Yes, I know they are quite different (vintage inspired vs. totally modern divers), but if you had to keep only one ... which? :)

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Hi Brash,

I am actually going between a blue BB58 and blue SMP 300 as my diver for my collection. Based on your impressions of both, which would you recommend? Yes, I know they are quite different (vintage inspired vs. totally modern divers), but if you had to keep only one ... which? :)
You had to go there!!

So this is just with my current tastes in mind:

SMP
Pros: wears smaller than it is. Technology for days and probably the top tier dive watch that's Swiss made. I personally feel its head and shoulders above that otheR**** company as far as tech, looks and what there is for the money. It is simply amazing. This color is something you can just stare at and be amazed.

The adjustable clasp is something every good dive watch should have. For a quarter to half the price Christopher Ward even has a well engineered adjustable clasp and it's quick release! (now something Omega just released)....A**holes!

Cons: it actually is a large watch. Although the movement is amazing to look at, I still would have preferred the older hippocampus and thinner profile it would have given it.

The bracelet is comfortable, but you feel the full 20mm all the way around. It has solid girth (that's what she said) and it has a purposeful presence. At this point, a taper would have been nice.

BB58
Pros: size size size. Even with my 7.25-50 wrist, the size is perfect. You forget the watch is there because it fits so right. Its so thin it slides under any sleeve with ease (if I wore long sleeves). Smaller is better in this case.

Solid in house movement and COSC cert. It's holding really good time.

The overall look is retro without being obnoxious. The lume is not faux patina, just slightly off white. The rose gold gilt throughout the watch is very tastefully done.

The bracelet is extremely comfortable. The clasp is solid and very easy to use.

Cons: although such a gorgeous watch, it is boring...I'll say that. It doesn't take away from its design, but it's a little boring.

The movement, although in house and COSC...does not stand tall next to the movement that is the Omega 8800...not even close. I don't think any Swiss brand is close.

The fake rivets on the bracelet could go. I do like the look, as I do on my ORIS 65. But it's not needed.

The clasp....the clasp....at this price point, they should have just made a smaller version of the clasp that's on the Pelagos. My wrist just happens to be the perfect size for this bracelet...phew. But, 3 micro adjustments (not at least 5) and no adjustability is shameful at this price.

Which 1!!!!

This is a tough decision, but if its one watch between the 2, it's the BB58.

If your going to be stuck with one, it is the more versatile watch. The in house straps are perfect for any occasion you throw at it....dress up, down, just hanging out. If I'm hopping on my Triumph Thruxton for an evening out...leather strap, aged leather jacket and jeans...this is the watch.

Suit and tie...bracelet and its ready to go. Shorts and out running errands, fabric and it fits the bill.

The Omega SMP 300m IS the better watch by far. The BB58 is the more versatile and is still an amazing watch.

I do suggest getting both. And to follow up, throw in a Grand Seiko SBGN003 for that "just other" cool watch for a 3 set....I'm going to.

I hope that all thoroughly confused you all!!

Brash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
Both the BB58 and the 300M are fantastic watches.

IMO, the BB58 wears smaller and “better”, but the 300M wears great too especially for its size and particularly on the rubber strap. The BB58 is also more versatile because it’s more muted in appearance with the aluminum bezel and flat color dial, but the 300M is more striking and fairly versatile in itself. I also do find the date function useful at times, and I believe it’s placed perfectly on the 300M.

Ultimately, I probably could go back and forth on which to choose as my only, but my answer today and my most common answer is that I would go with the 300M. Aside from it being a better watch from a technological standpoint, it’s more fun to wear and look at and it “looks” like the nicer watch. I simply love the 300M.

(I need to find a pic of the 300M white on the black rubber strap ... have one somewhere.)

·
Premium Member
2,909 Posts
Enjoying an evening espresso with the Spectre!

9101 - 9120 of 9417 Posts