WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 828 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Re: Official New Seiko 40mm 5KX SRPE55 and all other variants...

Looks great. They're going to sell a ton of these. I'd have gone with something like 'Official Seiko 5 Sports 40mm SRPE thread'.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Official New Seiko 40mm 5KX SRPE55 and all other variants...

Looks great. They're going to sell a ton of these. I'd have gone with something like 'Official Seiko 5 Sports 40mm SRPE thread'.
Thanks and I took your advise, sounds much better!

I think they've already sold a ton of these, I was looking for a while and they were sold out everywhere. Then, last Wednesday I was alerted that Long Island Watch had them in stock so I ordered from there. At that time they had one each of all the variants, as of today they're all gone except for 2 two tone models.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Wow, it looks awesome!
I just thought yesterday not to buy anymore watches for rest of the year.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm not actually too sure the SRPE61 will come with a brushed bezel as it looks like in Seiko's own promo pics. They have a very weird and confusing habit of toning down the polishing and making it look quite matte in a lot of the renders they release, making their own watches look nowhere near as shiny as they are in real life. Their own renders make all these SRPE's bezels look the same but Long Island Watches promo renders show them more accurately, with shiny bezels. They didn't have a listing for for the 61, though and I couldn't find a 'live' shot anywhere, either.

It may not actually be a brushed bezel. Even though Seiko's own pics make it look like one. They do this all the time. I'd wait until I saw proof elsewhere before ordering, if you really don't want a polished bezelled watch.

See, they also make this one look matte effect or brushed but it really isn't.

I'll be interested to see better pics or renders of it than the ones Seiko use to promote them, themselves.

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
It may not actually be a brushed bezel. Even though Seiko's own pics make it look like one. They do this all the time. I'd wait until I saw proof elsewhere before ordering, if you really don't want a polished bezelled watch.
Thanks for the heads up :) I love the style of the watch, so I could live with polish - but I'll make sure I do my research first regardless.
One thing I saw though: When Mark from LongIslandWatch did his video on the SRPE line, he mentioned that the versions on NATO have the polished bezels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpFJFXcIMUI

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
They have a very weird and confusing habit of toning down the polishing and making it look quite matte in a lot of the renders they release, making their own watches look nowhere near as shiny as they are in real life.
Seiko is notorious for their terrible stock photos.

What’s actually happening is that there is one employee in the design group who also works with the ad copy team, and when design choices he makes get outvoted by the rest of the design team, he photoshops his ideas onto the stock images before they get published. That’s why the bezels in the SRPE stock photos look brushed, or to take another recent example, why the beautiful matte blue in the LE Alpinist photos turned out to be a generic sunburst.

This is, of course, totally made up, but it’s literally the only explanation I can think of to explain why the photos are always SO different from the actual items.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just changed out the stock bracelet on mine for a black Eulit Perlon. It will stay like this for the summer. Hopefully by Fall there will be a better quality aftermarket bracelet available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Can anyone speak to the hour marker lume plots: are their surfaces a classic "flat" type finish, or more like the semi-gloss "clouds" on the new turtles?

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can anyone speak to the hour marker lume plots: are their surfaces a classic "flat" type finish, or more like the semi-gloss "clouds" on the new turtles?
Just looked at mine through a loupe, they're not shiny at all but they do have a mat textured finish, almost like a very fine sandpaper. Can't say I've ever seen a lume finish like that on any of the many Seikos I've owned. It does light up very bright with minimal exposure and I'm able to still make out the time after several hours as long as the room is dark.

·
Registered
200 Posts
They look so good that I had to order a smooth bezel for my srpd77..

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm not actually too sure the SRPE61 will come with a brushed bezel as it looks like in Seiko's own promo pics.
For me, a Google image search with "srpe61k1" produces a few live shots, and the bezer certainly looks brushed to me. Certainly different from "srpe51k1".

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Just looked at mine through a loupe, they're not shiny at all but they do have a mat textured finish, almost like a very fine sandpaper. Can't say I've ever seen a lume finish like that on any of the many Seikos I've owned. It does light up very bright with minimal exposure and I'm able to still make out the time after several hours as long as the room is dark.
Sounds like they are very similar to the New Arnie's lume plots - which is great news cause I love what Seiko did with those!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Anyone know what after-market SKX parts will fit this watch?
I am guessing dials but I really don't know.
The chapter ring looks thinner and set at a different angle so I doubt chapter rings will fit but again no real idea.

1 - 20 of 828 Posts