WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

701 - 720 of 828 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would go for the 57. I think you could have a lot of fun with straps using the gold accents. Khaki NATO with PVD hardware, black woven single pass with a khaki stripe, brown tropic. If I was set on blue, I would try to get the sunburst JDM model because I am not a huge fan of the matte blue. The blue is more playful. I don't think you can go wrong here.
Is only the JDM model sunburst? I have not heard that or seen any pics or videos of the matte blue. I guess all the online reviewers have JDM models?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would go for the 57. I think you could have a lot of fun with straps using the gold accents. Khaki NATO with PVD hardware, black woven single pass with a khaki stripe, brown tropic. If I was set on blue, I would try to get the sunburst JDM model because I am not a huge fan of the matte blue. The blue is more playful. I don't think you can go wrong here.
Thanks for the recommendations! I think the srpe53 are all sundial ones. I just ordered the 57 to check it out and will probably order a 53 as well to compare. Thanks again!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I like the watch a lot but mineral is what is stopping me...
Who is offering the best sapphire glass for the SRPE?
crystaltimes or Long Island Watch?
Anybody in Europe?

·
Registered
5 Posts
How I decided between SRPE53 (sunburst navy) vs SRPE 57 (black/gold) and also polished vs brushed bezel.

I had a hard time deciding between these options, so I wanted to share my process in case others find it useful. Thanks again to others who have helped me in deciding as well.

SRPE53 Sunburst navy:
  • Confirmed as many others have said that the navy is really dark, which means that under normal lighting conditions, you'll see a slight dark navy hue. It is not at all like an 'In Your Face" cheesy burst of navy blue, which some people have thought of. You have to see this in person. It's hard to capture this in photos, though this is a close approximation: normal lighting, another example (photos from the web, but close to what I mean). If you are under direct sunlight, then you might get a little more blue, but it has to catch it just right to be that blue.
  • All of this is to say that it actually looks pretty understated (not shiny) and elegant.
SRPE57 Black/gold/gilded:
  • This is a unique color combination. This is what it looks like under the best lighting possible (photo not mine). Here's a video that shows this off more. In real life, while the color combo is sweet, it again has to catch the light in order to really show off that gilded look. This is a good thing as it doesn't come off as too blingy or cheesy. Seiko did a great job making this look understated.
  • The downside to this understated look is that if you are more interested to have more of a pop from the gilded parts, then it likely won't be easily visible most of the time while you are wearing it. This again could be a good thing, depending on what you are going for. This is a real life optimal lighting shot (photo not mine), so you can imagine how it might look if the lighting isn't as well lit.
Polished vs Brushed Bezel:
  • Some of the most common arguments include: people having a preference for brushed over polished bezels due to scratch marks/fingerprints/overall blingy-ness on the polished bezels as undesirable.
  • Another point often made is that it is easier to dress up a brushed bezel watch than it is to dress down a polished bezel watch. I think this again depends on the dial. For the sunburst blue, I have had no trouble dressing this down with a black silicone strap.
  • In short, it really depends on the dial itself.
  • Brushed bezel works better with more muted or evenly distributed color dials, like the matte black or green. For the gilded dial, I think brushed bezel may take away that vintage/retro look that the gilded dial is going for, and maybe this is why Seiko doesn't sell a brushed version of that dial (as far as I know).
  • One exception might be the anthracite dial, which I think the slight grayish hue will work better with a brushed bezel as the polished shine might drown out the sunburst anthracite feature.
Bonus: Bracelet
  • As someone who is just starting to develop an interest in watches, I know nothing about bracelets.
  • The vast majority of the reviews I read all indicated that the bracelet isn't great and that an upgrade is a must. They all seem to have a lot more experience with watches and are probably very correct.
  • But, for other novices, I just want to say that the bracelet feels just fine. Will I upgrade in the future? Maybe, but for now, it wears very nicely and gets the job done.
Conclusion
  • Reminder: all of this is very very very subjective. Nonetheless, I wanted to just share what I ended up choosing.
  • I ended up on the SRPE53, sunburst navy. It works better with my personal style. Again, the sunburst navy was pretty subtle, which I enjoyed.
  • On the other hand, i though the gilded parts on the SRPE57 might be a touch too subtle and not have enough of the pop factor that the gilded parts should have delivered under normal lighting. But this is very subjective. It is a beautiful dial overall.
  • Sizing: this is a 40mm with a pretty short lug to lug of 44mm. I have a 6.5 inch wrist, and this fits perfectly. The lugs do not overhang at all. I might even consider the SRPD models in the future as they are just a tad larger at lug to lug of 46mm.
  • I also ended up liking the polished bezels on the sunburst dial better. I think the subtle sunburst blue elevates the watch to a more dressy type, and the brushed bezel kind of tries too hard to downplay that dressiness. And I don't feel like the polished bezel looks too blingy with the sunburst dial. I also don't mind the micro scratches showing up or having a fingerprint magnet, but YMMV depending on your tolerance for these things.
  • Best advice is still to see them in person and try them on in different lighting conditions, if you get a chance to.
  • As many of you know, Seiko 5 is a fantastic watch with a lot of great dial options. I echo a lot of people's thoughts that you can't go wrong with any of the options. But, for folks who are looking to get one over the other, hopefully this has provided some insight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How I decided between SRPE53 (sunburst navy) vs SRPE 57 (black/gold) and also polished vs brushed bezel.
Thank you for a thoughtful post on some pro's and con's of the different strap, dial, bezel options. I hope it is helpful to other people considering a purchase. Also, welcome to watchland. What was your final decision, care to share some photos of your new watch?

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #710 ·
Thank you for a thoughtful post on some pro's and con's of the different strap, dial, bezel options. I hope it is helpful to other people considering a purchase. Also, welcome to watchland. What was your final decision, care to share some photos of your new watch?
I says in his post, he ended up with the blue dial version.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #711 ·
[/QUOTE]
But, for other novices, I just want to say that the bracelet feels just fine. Will I upgrade in the future? Maybe, but for now, it wears very nicely and gets the job done.
Agree totally on the stock bracelet, it's fine. Looks good and as you say, does the job. Very happy with mine.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I agree on the bracelet, I thought I was going to have to upgrade and may in the future but for now it is comfortable and looks fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you!

I can see an SRPE55K1 coming my way soon. Love the Explorer/BB36 kind of look, can’t afford them though.... this one has got similar vibes at a very affordable price!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm new here. It's nice to meet you and thanks for having me.

I want to get the SRPE63K1 (blue dial and nato strap) but am having difficulty finding it from a reputable source. Is there a place I could try?

If that's not possible, Is there an easy way to reverse the brushed bezel and polished side of the bezel on the version that comes with the bracelet? I truly prefer the brushed look of the one with the nato.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take a look at longislandwatch.com they are a seiko AD and have good customer service.
Thank you kindly. Will do.

Just had the white day date wheels swapped out with black. What do you guys think? Personally, I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like it. If you like it, even better! Is it the brushed bezel? I'm torn on which to get!

701 - 720 of 828 Posts