WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

741 - 760 of 828 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts

Just arrived today. Straight onto black leather strap. Matches the rest of my wardrobe.

Went from briefly owning a Certina DS1 to this. The difference in quality is... ahem... shall we say noticable? Still, this thing will actually show me what time it is, as opposed to the Certina.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi @btnwould you say quality is a lot better on the Certina ?
Yes. There are a couple of things with the crown that aren't immediately noticable, and they are by no means a dealbreaker, but the devil is in the details, right? Even more so with watches.

Setting the time or date, there's a noticable resistance in the movement. You have to exert a bit of force, which can be an unpleasant surprise if you're not prepared for it. The whole thing is kind of noisy (raspy, friction type sound) when you turn the crown and stem, and the little click you hear and feel as the date window jumps isn't particularly smooth either. The crown doesn't extend fully past the guards either which, coupled with the quite fine knurling on it, makes adjustments rather awkward. They could've mitigated that issue by sticking to the larger cog-style teeth that are available aftermarket for the SKX, none of which are currently available for the SRPE.

Compare that to the Certina, where anything involving the crown generally is a very smooth and precise operation.

Again, not a dealbreaker. I absolutely love the Seiko, and it's not as if you have to work the crown very often anyway. It's also about 1/3 the price of the Certina. But it did catch me off guard.

·
Registered
49 Posts

So, this was unexpected - the date changeover on my watch starts at roughly 10:40 pm. Its been in this halfway position for roughly an hour now.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
View attachment 15882548

So, this was unexpected - the date changeover on my watch starts at roughly 10:40 pm. Its been in this halfway position for roughly an hour now.
Yup. The 2 I had both started the date change right after 10:15 and the day change completed right at 3am. It’s normal for this movement. That’s part of the reason I no longer own one.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yup. The 2 I had both started the date change right after 10:15 and the day change completed right at 3am. It’s normal for this movement. That’s part of the reason I no longer own one.
This has been standard since at least the 1960's for mid to low range movements. All my vintage ones do this, with the exception of my King Seiko 4502, which has instant date change at midnight. All the rest (5625, 6309, 4006, 6139, 6138, 6217, 4S15, 7005, on which the 7S and 4R movements are based) start lazily turning over between 10:15 and 11:00. This has never bothered me (I'm in my late 30's, married, with a job and a toddler, I'm asleep by then anyway), although the few occasions seeing my KS 45 snap over at midnight is pretty neat. Maybe that's why I always wear it on NYE?

·
Registered
Certina Blue Ribbon (1977)
56 Posts
A question regarding the see-through caseback: does anyone know a source for fitting conventional steel casebacks – and could a steel caseback possibly be a bit thinner and reduce the overall height of the watch? I like it when watches sit close to the wrist. Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
256 Posts
A question regarding the see-through caseback: does anyone know a source for fitting conventional steel casebacks – and could a steel caseback possibly be a bit thinner and reduce the overall height of the watch? I like it when watches sit close to the wrist. Thanks in advance for any input!
Intriguing question! I'm curious as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good evening all, finally registered, I'm lucky enough to have a 55 and 57, and a lot of the relay posts on here convinced me I'd love them, picked up the gilt 57 first, then the 55 when they dropped a bit in price! Must say I love them, some of my favourite watches, and I've played around with a few watch strap combos and have a tip. I picked up the oyster bracelet from long Island watches at the same time as a tan suede deployment strap from strapcode. A couple of observations, as much as I loved the long Island bracelet, the male end solid fittings changed the feel of the watch and sit a tad square where they meet the female end of the first link, I'm going to try rounding it off slightly and try it again, but otherwise it's lovely, just makes the watch sit a tad bigger. The suede one the clasp was massive in comparison and all brushed, didn't quite match the case. Now, I got to tinkering, clasp from the long Island watch bracelet, with the suede strapcode strap, then stick it on the gilt 57, oh my, it's a pretty thing indeed. Souch my wife has now stolen it, but I can't blame her! If only the two companies could combine to offer the combo together! First post, but I'll try to add photos, erm, struggling, any tips??

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wondered if the SKX caseback would fit on my SRPD. I don’t want to remove the caseback just to test it though. I think the case dimensions are just slightly different than the SKX. I don’t think it would reduce the overall height very much, if any, on the SRPE or SRPD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

741 - 760 of 828 Posts