WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

7561 - 7580 of 7743 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Finally decided on what kind of strap I wanted, and I think I chose well.

Hirsch "Paul" Performance gator-embossed strap. Channeled rubber on the backside, gator-look embossed "waterproof" leather on the outside.

I pretty much only take my watches off to shower, and don't really swap straps often, so I wanted something that won't get ruined from wearing it 23.5 hours a day, every day, even in the sweaty heat of summer, and I like that rubber/silicone doesn't slip and flop around at a comfortable size.

I usually throw everything I've owned on cheaper barton silicone straps for those reasons, but wanted to go a bit nicer for this watch. This ticked all my boxes, especially being available in a shorter length to accommodate my 6.25" wrist. I went for the gator-embossed over regular leather to add some visual interest to the strap, and I really liked the alligator factory strap, but am not a fan of black & glossy materials.

Initial impressions: Wonderful. I've had it on for about an hour and it's already started to loosen up and come to form. Even being loose right now, it's not moving at all. It's slightly darker, less shiny and the stitching doesn't contrast as much as I expected - all very good things for me.

That was a lot of words for just a fancy rubber strap. How about some pictures?

View attachment 15661852

View attachment 15661853

View attachment 15661854
I love it awesome strap man

·
Registered
393 Posts

Hirsch "Paul" Performance gator-embossed strap. Channeled rubber on the backside, gator-look embossed "waterproof" leather on the outside.

I pretty much only take my watches off to shower, and don't really swap straps often, so I wanted something that won't get ruined from wearing it 23.5 hours a day, every day, even in the sweaty heat of summer, and I like that rubber/silicone doesn't slip and flop around at a comfortable size.

I usually throw everything I've owned on cheaper barton silicone straps for those reasons, but wanted to go a bit nicer for this watch. This ticked all my boxes, especially being available in a shorter length to accommodate my 6.25" wrist. I went for the gator-embossed over regular leather to add some visual interest to the strap, and I really liked the alligator factory strap, but am not a fan of black & glossy materials.

Initial impressions: Wonderful. I've had it on for about an hour and it's already started to loosen up and come to form. Even being loose right now, it's not moving at all. It's slightly darker, less shiny and the stitching doesn't contrast as much as I expected - all very good things for me.

View attachment 15661852

View attachment 15661853

View attachment 15661854
That’s a really cool looking strap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm with you, only taking my watches off to shower or do the washing up. I wonder how many others sleep in their watches? I've always done it since a child and never thought twice about it.

·
Registered
47 Posts

View attachment 15661852

View attachment 15661853

View attachment 15661854
Very nice strap. What is length size? I have very similar wrist size

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thanks, everyone! about 24 hours in now, and I'm wishing it was forming a little better around my wrist, rather than staying stiff and squeezing the sides, pushing the watch head upwards. Seems like they used some pretty solid material for long wear, which also means long break-in, so it'll probably be a few days before it gets to that nice comfy wrap-around.

Very nice strap. What is length size? I have very similar wrist size

Thank you. It's a 110/70mm, I ordered from Holbens. Conveniently, they let you filter lug size and strap length. I'm on the third from last hole with the original pin buckle and it still has a pretty short tail out the other side, can't hardly see it.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Hi René, really love that strap. Where did you buy it? (Sorry if you get asked this a lot.)
Hi there...and thanks for the compliment.

This is a brown suede strap from Atelier DeGriff out of Belgium. I think their online store is closed at the moment for upgrades and stock replenishment. Hopefully they'll be open again soon. Definitely check them out; they make beautiful, high quality straps.

20210122_193712.jpg

René

·
Registered
19 Posts

This is a brown suede strap from Atelier DeGriff out of Belgium. I think their online store is closed at the moment for upgrades and stock replenishment. Hopefully they'll be open again soon. Definitely check them out; they make beautiful, high quality straps.

View attachment 15666246

René
Awesome, thank you very much!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts

View attachment 15666246

René
He also did a pretty good 5-year review video on his, where he not only holds it under a running faucet but also does so with a leather strap on it, while talking about how he would swim with it on! The INSANITY

🤣🤣🤣

Yours, and the one in his video, both look really thick, which is appealing to me.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
He also did a pretty good 5-year review video on his, where he not only holds it under a running faucet but also does so with a leather strap on it, while talking about how he would swim with it on! The INSANITY

🤣🤣🤣

Yours, and the one in his video, both look really thick, which is appealing to me.
The strap might look thick, but I don't think it's any thicker than most good quality leather straps. The thing I cannot stress enough is how soft, pliable, and extremely comfortable this strap is.

Rene

·
Registered
660 Posts
The strap might look thick, but I don't think it's any thicker than most good quality leather straps. The thing I cannot stress enough is how soft, pliable, and extremely comfortable this strap is.

Rene
Gotcha. Looked like it was about 5mm+ throughout, where most are around 3-4mm. Soft and pliable sounds pretty nice right now, as that's the total opposite of this Hirsch rubber that I'm still working on breaking in. Gonna give it some time and hope it becomes more comfortable, otherwise I may just have to deal with the idea of replacing leather every 6-12 months from wearing it all the time.

7561 - 7580 of 7743 Posts