WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

781 - 800 of 7756 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts

Love this watch so much. Even though it is banged up and been polished with new dial and hands, as well as the bracelet popping open at every opportunity it really works for me

·
Registered
6 Posts
As an engineer by training whose alma matter has put a man on the moon, there is no greater watch for me than the Omega Speedmaster Professional. But I had never paid more than $100 for a watch (my rotation consisting of a Seiko 5 SGEF95 w/bracelet for everyday wear and a SGEF95 quartz w/leather band for formal wear), so even the Speedy's "modest" price seemed monumental. If ever, I would only buy it upon finishing my PhD, but that's been delayed from last summer to this summer to next summer. However, when I heard about the price increases slated for July/August, I decided to pull the trigger on a great deal, appropriate considering I now do financial economics - there's no sense in paying $800 more than I need to.

1.jpg

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Regarding the Speedy, I think part of the reason I'm liking it more and more is because it is sort of an undercover watch. It's not like the PO or AT where as soon as you see it, you know it's a high end watch. With the Speedy, unless you're a watch guy, it appears like any other average chrono (especially when it's not on the bracelet). You can wear it confidently knowing that you have a nice watch with some nice history behind it without the fear of it being too blingy where you might draw attention from the wrong sort of person.

However, when I heard about the price increases slated for July/August, I decided to pull the trigger on a great deal, appropriate considering I now do financial economics - there's no sense in paying $800 more than I need to.
I haven't been keeping up with the forums as much. Is this an increase on just the Speedy or across the board?

·
Registered
348 Posts
You can wear it confidently knowing that you have a nice watch with some nice history behind it without the fear of it being too blingy where you might draw attention from the wrong sort of person.
I agree with you. When I was taking an occupational first aid course, my partner--clearly not a watch person and trying to time a scenario--looked at my Speedy and told me my second hand was broken. I didn't bother trying to explain it to him, LOL.

That's what it's mostly like around here, even when I go into a jewelry store to browse watches. However, when I was in Hawaii, the Speedy was instantly recognizable and a topic of conversation in almost every watch store I entered--even at the Flea Market! It made me wonder how skilled the wrong type of person might be at recognizing it especially in major tourist areas/traps like Waikiki. It reminded me to be more careful and situationally aware in unfamiliar areas even with the "low key" Speedmaster.

·
Registered
539 Posts
And I want a speedy... I wish to find the money... Please God...

Στάλθηκε από το Sony Neo V χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
539 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Gentlemen, may I present to you a mint 1998 Speedmaster Date. My first Omega. I wanted a chrono with a white / silver dial which could straddle the line between sporty and formal; this fit the bill quite nicely.

I have 170mm wrists, so the 38mm size is not a problem at all. However, while incredibly comfortable, the 18mm bracelet looks kind of insubstantial. I expected something much chunkier, so will probably put it on a nice bit of black leather. Any recommendations in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the crappy photo quality. Taking decent wrist-shots without a macro lens is basically impossible, so I resorted to using to my phone.

Another quick and dirty phone pic. Here it is on leather. Feeling a lot more enthusiastic about the watch now. I love this strap:

781 - 800 of 7756 Posts