WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 831 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the Official Thread for the NEW Seiko Prospex "MM200" automatic dive watches. They were first posted on Instagram and seen HERE in the New and Upcoming Seiko Watches thread. The discussion and speculation continued HERE in the Leaked New SPB185 & SPB187 divers thread.

Now these models are up on Seiko's website and there certainly seems to be enough interest to warrant an "Official" dedicated thread. Below are links to Seiko's global website as well as their domestic site.

SPB185 / SPB185J1 || JDM - SBDC125

SPB187 / SPB187J1 || JDM - SBDC127

Details and Specifications
Brand and model: Seiko Prospex "MM200"
AKA: 1968 Diver's Watch Reinterpretation
Black dial reference: SPB185 / SPB185J1 / SBDC125
Blue dial reference: SPB187 / SPB187J1 / SBDC127
Green dial reference: SPB207 / SPB207J1 / SBDC133
Movement-case code: 6R35-OOSO
Case material: Stainless Steel w/ Diashield coating
Case diameter: 42mm
Lug to lug: 48.8mm
Thickness: 12.5mm
Lug width: 20mm
Weight: 186 grams
Bracelet length: 200mm
Crystal: Sapphire glass w/ anti-reflective coating on inner surface
Water resistance: Diver's 200m / 660ft
ISO 6425 certification for diving
Lume: Lumibrite on hands, indexes and bezel
Movement: Seiko automatic Caliber 6R35
Power reserve: 70 hours
Accuracy: +25 to -15 seconds per day
Price: ¥143,000 JPY (tax included) (Tax excluded ¥130,000 JPY)
Price: €1,250 EUR
Price: $1,200 USD

FRATELLO REVIEW HERE

·
Registered
531 Posts
Let’s keep this thread clean - genuine photos only, no questionable ‘mod’ pics lifted from insta!
Indeed, now they are announced and official - but those mod pics gave us all a really good look at the case.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the black one in that video isn't even the same as the released model. There is no lumed indice at 3. They're not proper ones though are they. Seeing it like that though side by side with one that has it, I actually think it looks better with the lume there. I saw quite a few comments about how bad it looked but from this video I think it would look worse without it. It's a shame they didn't show the older ones and the new ones together in that video for a size comparison.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fingers crossed for a black/gold colorway. God that would be so perfect.

Also looks like the black bezel is ceramic, I was expecting it to be the same as the new SPB14x models.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I don't think it is ceramic as it's not been stated on the website. When it's ceramic it is always stated at least on the Seiko Japan website, and it doesn't mention it. It's looking like they've used some cheaper alternative again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So the black one in that video isn't even the same as the released model. There is no lumed indice at 3. They're not proper ones though are they. Seeing it like that though side by side with one that has it, I actually think it looks better with the lume there. I saw quite a few comments about how bad it looked but from this video I think it would look worse without it. It's a shame they didn't show the older ones and the new ones together in that video for a size comparison.
Looks like they removed the bevelling around the date window for the one with the 3 o'clock index.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So, judging by the pics, bezel seems to be the widest part of the watch (sans crown), making it 42mm – which is the same on a regular MM200 (44mm there is due to body shape, not the bezel size). If so, the visual wrist presence difference would be quite minute, making them both more universal in size and suiting wider audiences.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
So, judging by the pics, bezel seems to be the widest part of the watch (sans crown), making it 42mm – which is the same on a regular MM200 (44mm there is due to body shape, not the bezel size). If so, the visual wrist presence difference would be quite minute, making them both more universal in size and suiting wider audiences.
You can clearly see the case is wider than the bezel. What are you talking about?

You can see the case protruding from beneath the bezel on both sides on the black dial model. I'd estimate that to be about 1mm each side giving a bezel diameter of 40mm.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'm not seeing the bezel being the widest part of the case. In the Fratello photo above, you can see the case on the left and right hand side of the bezel. It is partially camouflaged by the reflections and shadows. My guess is that the case will be 42mm and the bezel 40mm. SKX style.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I honestly don't know how I feel about these releases. On the one hand, you get the iconic MM looks in a cheaper, smaller, and thinner package, which should be celebrated; the watch objectively looks great and judging from the specs, should wear well. But some part of me feels like it doesn't do justice to the MM300's inherent design as intended for saturation diving. Seiko's strategy is clear: release expensive limited versions of their first 3 divers powered by the 8L calibers, and then release 6R caliber versions of the same divers that are more affordably aimed at the mid-ranged market.

This strategy seems appropriate for the 62MAS and Willard because both of those classic watches received an upgrade in the WR department, but the MM is a special beast imo. The massive hulking presence of its monocoque design seems strangely appropriate for what the watch was intended for. Therefore, this release doesn't feel as connected to the original design as the SPB14X and SPB15X. It is highly likely that I am wrong and that these will sell like hot cakes, but that's just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Just watched this video.

I really like the silver bezel. Would love a black/black, blue/blue and green/green.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Love these! Wish there was a titanium version though. Big crowns = love
I'm pleased to see MM300/200 cues but without being such a literal re-rendering. Just might have to splash for the silver.

1 - 20 of 831 Posts