WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a few of you may know that I have been fawning over the JLC Master Control for months, which has been an almost certainty in my near future. I've just sold a watch, and spent the entire time since the purchase of my Omega saving for the JLC.

Now...I've decided that a Submariner 14060M may be more my thing.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Points to consider:

1) I'm a 21 university student working part time - meaning that I can't buy both the Rolex and the JLC (and this purchase will most likely be my last >1k spend for the next few years), I don't often wear formal attire, tending to dress fairly casually the majority of the time. This points to the Sub being the better option - plus it is a bit cheaper used vs. the new JLC.

2) I just bought the Omega (black dial w/ white hands & markers, sports watch) - similar enough to the Sub to consider it a 'clash' in a very small collection - a point towards the white/silver dial and dressy JLC.

3) I know I'll end up wanting a diver and will likely covet either the Sub or the PO in the future if I go for the JLC. However if I was to go for the Sub, I can have a couple of years to save for a JLC MUT Moon which I've been looking at recently but which is currently beyond any realistic expectation.

What do you guys think? I'm sorry for another 'give me a suggestion' thread, but I felt like making my cogitations public even if only for the comfort. I know that'll be understood.

Hope everyone is having a happy holidays!

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG
4,044 Posts
Without a doubt you'll demonstrate better taste wearing JLC. Especially when every second passerby wears Sub.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Based on your points, I would go with the sub first and save up for the JLC MUT Moon. I don't think the Speedy and the Sub clashes but rather compliment each other pretty well.
I find the MUT Moon a better option over the Master Control, the styling of the MC is rather insipid imo.

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Based on your points, I would go with the sub first and save up for the JLC MUT Moon. I don't think the Speedy and the Sub clashes but rather compliment each other pretty well.
I find the MUT Moon a better option over the Master Control, the styling of the MC is rather insipid imo.
Agreed - number 3 is my advice.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
JLC, while it's not bad (like the dial and hands), but at least for me, leather is not the thing. Steinless steel bracelets look much better and are way more durable and easier to clean. Another plus with Submariner is that it has no date. So, if you're changing watches, it's much easier and faster to get the watch going than to also adjust the date and time. But yeah, JLC doesn't look like a common watch design. You'll really have to decide on your own here, because both have their points. And while i'm not a huge fan of Rolex, i must say Submariner it's still a classic.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Without a doubt you'll demonstrate better taste wearing JLC. Especially when every second passerby wears Sub.
My only issue with that is my age. I don't buy watches to impress others and nobody I know cares one iota about watches (aside from the rare exception). If I buy a sub, I buy it with a knowledge of its history and for its use as a dive watch - not because it iss a status symbol. I like to think I have enough character to define what I wear, rather than the other way around. I agree the JLC is a class above and I'm foregoing an element of 'yes, I know a thing or two about watches' - but again, I'm 21.

I love the MC, but I do agree, the MUT Moon is a step up - but if I wore it now it would just look out of place on someone who wears beach attire at every opportunity. Thanks for reinforcing my thoughts ;)

·
Registered
862 Posts
21 and at uni? Sub would be a better buy at this stage of your life. A JLC or another dressy type watch will be a good reward once you graduate and secure a job. Good luck.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JLC, while it's not bad (like the dial and hands), but at least for me, leather is not the thing. Steinless steel bracelets look much better and are way more durable and easier to clean. Another plus with Submariner is that it has no date. So, if you're changing watches, it's much easier and faster to get the watch going than to also adjust the date and time. But yeah, JLC doesn't look like a common watch design. You'll really have to decide on your own here, because both have their points. And while i'm not a huge fan of Rolex, i must say Submariner it's still a classic.
For me a date is a plus. Since I've changed my everyday watch from the MLC to the Speedy, the one thing I've missed has been the date! Plus I may have picked up a winder for Christmas so having to worry about changing dates shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for your input!

21 and at uni? Sub would be a better buy at this stage of your life. A JLC or another dressy type watch will be a good reward once you graduate and secure a job. Good luck.
Well I just finished my undergraduate course and am enrolled for a masters this coming year - so a 'master' control would fit the bill...no? (I thought it was funny) But I get your point. I'm less likely to wear the MC as much as a Sub in the coming year at least. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Go with number 3!
The sub is a great everyday watch. While oddly the speedy works quite well as a dressier option on a nice strap.

·
Premium Member
Omega AT Day Date SS, Omega De Ville Trésor YG
4,044 Posts
My only issue with that is my age. I don't buy watches to impress others and nobody I know cares one iota about watches (aside from the rare exception). If I buy a sub, I buy it with a knowledge of its history and for its use as a dive watch - not because it iss a status symbol. I like to think I have enough character to define what I wear, rather than the other way around. I agree the JLC is a class above and I'm foregoing an element of 'yes, I know a thing or two about watches' - but again, I'm 21.
You can treat this as you want, but there is a certain stigma in Rolex. Exactly because you're 21, you do not want that other students and teachers kept looking at you with the thought, "Hmm, the guy with the means."

Funny thing that you can wear really expensive watches that few people know. But Rolex is Rolex. If you do not care, go for it. To my son I would recommend to buy something else.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can treat this as you want, but there is a certain stigma in Rolex. Exactly because you're 21, you do not want that other students and teachers kept looking at you with the thought, "Hmm, the guy with the means."

Funny thing that you can wear really expensive watches that few people know. If you do not care, go for it. To my son I would recommend to buy something else.
I've often felt the same way myself. But after looking at divers the past few days...I've consistently realised that 1) I'd have more opportunity to wear one than a JLC, and 2) I'd rather go for something I really want than settle for something else.

I 'get' the stigma Rolex may have, but I'm buying it because its a good watch, not because I want anyone else to think differently of me. I couldn't care less what other people think :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
+1 for a Sub with date. They're tough as hell and look great with casual or smart attire.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm very disappointed st those of you who didn't vote number 3 which is essentially 'buy both' (albeit with a time gap).
I didn't even understand what this 'go number three' shenanigan was until now as they were intended as considerations rather than options. Its getting late and I've eaten too much, apparently.

The only issue is I will likely have far more pressing financial choices to deal with come the end of my postgrad study, so it is uncertain I will get a chance to buy in the next few years - especially of the JLC sort. Could be a whole lot worse though!

·
Registered
450 Posts
The JLC MC won't pair as well with your casual outfits. If you're not pairing it with a suit often then IMO a dress watch is not the way to go. There's not much you can do it dress it down either short of putting it on a nato!

The Sub is a better choice at this stage and at Uni not many people will know or care what watch you wear... i went through the same and had no negative reactions or comments.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Sub, PO or some other sexy diver. The JLC is nice, but I find that I don't wear dress watches often enough to buy one that costs >$1000. Definitely lots of nice dress watch offerings from Sea-gull, Orient Star and Christopher Ward.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Go with the Sub. Date if you feel you would like that option, but the no-date is dead sexy!;-) Then get something dressy later on as advised in the previous posts.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I've worn a Rolex GMT,to my wedding, dozens of times in a tux, hundreds of business meetings.....Of course I am
a vulgar American...No one complained to me....Or maybe I'm just the kind of guy who can pull it off...I also did
SCUBA and sky dive wearing the same watch. I think it will do everything.....

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
My only issue with that is my age. I don't buy watches to impress others and nobody I know cares one iota about watches (aside from the rare exception). If I buy a sub, I buy it with a knowledge of its history and for its use as a dive watch - not because it iss a status symbol. I like to think I have enough character to define what I wear, rather than the other way around.
I 'get' the stigma Rolex may have, but I'm buying it because its a good watch, not because I want anyone else to think differently of me. I couldn't care less what other people think :)
Sub now and JLC later would be my vote.

You seem to have the right attitude and level of maturity to pull off whatever you choose.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Sub, PO or some other sexy diver. The JLC is nice, but I find that I don't wear dress watches often enough to buy one that costs >$1000. Definitely lots of nice dress watch offerings from Sea-gull, Orient Star and Christopher Ward.
Good "alternative" is also Steinhart Ocean-44 in silver or DLC coated black version. Only downside is that it has quite large diameter, but its sapphire bezel makes it look really special.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts