WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It only took 15 days in transit from Germany to California, but I now have my latest (second) dream watch. And it is everything I had hoped: super clean look, precise in finish, comfortable. The hands and numbers are even thinner than I had expected giving it an elegant, technical look. I love the blued hands -- they can look black or bright blue depending on lighting and viewing angle. They must have a curved cross section because often one edge catches the bright blue while the rest of the width is dark. I just love it.

IMG_5900.jpg IMG_5872.jpg IMG_5884.jpg IMG_5878.jpg IMG_5864.jpg IMG_5911.jpg

--Ken.

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,125 Posts
Hi Ken,

Congratulations on getting the NOMOS. Thanks for posting
the photos. It looks very nice.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Excellent piece! Quite jealous actually... :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Christo: my wrist is about 7.25". Which model are you getting?

·
Registered
54 Posts
...my wrist is about 7.25". Which model are you getting?
Perfect, mine's 7". Really nice to know what it looks like on a similar wrist size a few days out.
I'm leaning towards the Tangente Gangreserve or the Orion. Still undecided which is why I'm flying to the nearest AD to decide in person. After seeing your Tangente and how crisp and clean it looks, I'm even more undecided!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perfect, mine's 7". Really nice to know what it looks like on a similar wrist size a few days out.
I'm leaning towards the Tangente Gangreserve or the Orion. Still undecided which is why I'm flying to the nearest AD to decide in person. After seeing your Tangente and how crisp and clean it looks, I'm even more undecided!
You have a happy dilemma between those two models. Let us know what you choose. I'll just put in a plug for the transparent back case...for me this was a totally worthwhile extravagance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You have a happy dilemma between those two models. Let us know what you choose. I'll just put in a plug for the transparent back case...for me this was a totally worthwhile extravagance.
Oh yes, the sapphire glass back is an absolute must. The movements is half the reason I'm getting a Nomos (as I'm sure it was for you). I think it's criminal to keep it hidden.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Congratulations Ken on an awesome Nomos! I just recieved a Nomos Orion a couple of weeks ago. Nomos craftsmanship is outstanding. Wear the Tangente in good health.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats! I'm going to hijack this thread w/ my gangreserve that I received yesterday (21 day shipping from Germany).

I've got a 6.75-7 inch wrist, BTW. The medium strap is a bit too big. I'll need to add a hole or get the small.

I like it a lot, but kind of wish I skipped the gangreserve (that was the best deal at the time).

photo2.jpg

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats! I'm going to hijack this thread w/ my gangreserve that I received yesterday (21 day shipping from Germany).

I've got a 6.75-7 inch wrist, BTW. The medium strap is a bit too big. I'll need to add a hole or get the small.

I like it a lot, but kind of wish I skipped the gangreserve (that was the best deal at the time).
Congrats to you too Trent. What don't you like about the Gangreserve? I think the little splash of red looks kind of cool. Is yours new or used (I notice it simply says 'Germany' on the bottom and I think newest ones say 'Made in Germany'). Do you have the sapphire back?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats to you too Trent. What don't you like about the Gangreserve? I think the little splash of red looks kind of cool. Is yours new or used (I notice it simply says 'Germany' on the bottom and I think newest ones say 'Made in Germany'). Do you have the sapphire back?
I like things symmetrical, so the NOMOS label and reserve dial being splayed out in random positions doesn't mesh as well with my aesthetic. I like the larger seconds dial on the Tangente. I did like the red, but if you wind it daily, then red will not show much of the time (I wound it this morning and still no red showing).

The watch was "unworn," but I believe it was originally sold around Jan. 2011 based on some serial number comparisons (473xx). The paperwork left the date blank... not sure if that's good or bad.

Yep, I got the sapphire back... I agree with the sentiments of others that it's a bit silly to put such a beautiful movement behind steel.

Edit: Also, I'm new at measuring accuracy, but it looks like it may be running about 16s/day fast. If it's a couple years old, maybe it'll settle down after being put in service for a bit.

Double edit: Also, the NOMOS store still shows only "Germany" for the Gangreserve, so it may be a stylistic decision to keep an already somewhat complicated dial more simple.

Triple edit (I'm clearly terrible at this): It looks like they only offer the Gangreserve in a sapphire back.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Nice Nomos, congrats! So the Tangente is 35mm, but what is the size of the Tangente Datum? On previous posts on wus everyone has stated it as 35mm but on the Nomos website it says 37.5mm, so is the date version actually a bit larger?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can confirm the regular tangente is 35 mm. From the nomos-store website, you're right the tangente datum is stated as 37.5, however the datum gangreserve is stated at 35. Maybe that is the source of discrepancy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did like the red, but if you wind it daily, then red will not show much of the time (I wound it this morning and still no red showing).

For those interested, the wind indicator only starts showing a bit of red after 12 hours. Looks like I'll be winding at night.

Is +30s cause for serious concern, or just an indication it needs to be regulated. From my random web searching, that seems borderline.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts