WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Oh man, if only this watch were thinner!!!

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  cottonlume 
#1 · (Edited)
Guys, I really love this watch. The SBGR061...I love the ivory dial, the blue seconds hand, the 28,800bph, the strap, the overall tech specs, everything. Well, just about...at 13.1mm, it's just a whole lot thicker than I prefer. I didn't necessarily think this would be the case--or I was hoping it wouldn't be--but after trying one on in person, it definitely seemed much too thick :/

Anyone else feel the same way? Do you think Grand Seiko will look into making some sub-11mm automatics and hand-winds (and Spring Drives, and more sub--11 quartzes for that matter, too!) someday?!

...every post really is better with pics, so here's the SBGR061 :)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

See less See more
#4 ·
The quartzes are thin. I agree, GS in general has the shortcoming of thickness in their autos and spring drives. Everything tends to be 12.5 or more.
It's kind of like they haven't really designed any movements with compactness as major point of focus... like they really don't care much about it!

#6 ·
Yeah, the quartz ones do seem to be quite a bit thinner (and I've seen a couple of hand-winds in the 11mm range)! Anyway, yeah, I've found some good quartzes in the 10mm range--for now, I'll probably be sticking with them...but someday, I would LOVE to have a mechanical or two and a spring drive. Just for that money, I would want to be super satisfied with it, so that'll mean holding out for some offerings toward the thinner end of the spectrum.

bluedialer, you're right--it's almost as if producing thin movements just isn't something they've sought to prioritize. Some of that may be because the technical achievements they've managed may require, per their design, just more space. But I wonder--do the movements themselves account for the size, or is it more the design of the cases?

#8 ·
I hear y'all on the Credor suggestions. They tend to be outside my price range though and don't necessarily appeal, on aesthetic grounds, to me as much as the Grand Seikos do. Plus...well, I'm proud of Seiko! Maybe it's a pretty minor consideration, but I do like having the Seiko name on the dial.

#9 ·
Guys, I really love this watch. The SBGR061...I love the ivory dial, the blue seconds hand, the 28,800bph, the strap, the overall tech specs, everything. Well, just about...at 13.1mm, it's just a whole lot thicker than I prefer. I didn't necessarily think this would be the case--or I was hoping it wouldn't be--but after trying one on in person, it definitely seemed much too thick :/

Anyone else feel the same way? Do you think Grand Seiko will look into making some sub-11mm automatics and hand-winds (and Spring Drives, and more sub--11 quartzes for that matter, too!) someday?!

View attachment 9348018
Buy it, wear it, stretch your cuffs or wear bigger shirts/jumpers !!

#10 ·
Steppy, honestly...you're probably right :) In an ideal world, sure, it would be my preference to have a thinner version of this watch, but as it is, it's still awesome--and well, maybe I could use at least one thick watch in my collection, lol.

Even so, I'm nowhere near being able to afford one right now, and my first GS will likely be one of their quartzes (b/c they do it so well and they're also thinner). But later on down the line, by the time I *am* able to pull the trigger, if they haven't come out with a super sweet thin mechanical then I'll probably just spring for the SBGR061 or something similar--and do so with love and pride.

#11 ·
I have the similar GMT model, which sits about a half mm higher. Definitely not a slim watch, but not too obtrusive in daily wear. Thick for a dress(ier) watch.

A significant part of the height of both watches, I'd say maybe three mm, maybe more, is the box sapphire. It's a cool crystal, and well done, but it makes its presence known.

Wrist Fashion accessory Hand Watch Jewellery

#15 ·
omg case "shaming" lol #shamingshaming

#17 ·
Yes, I wish they were thinner. That's one of the reasons why I bought the SBGA085. It's smaller than most Spring Drives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.