WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I was wearing my speedy yesterday, then my friend called me, asking if I wanted to come to a friends party on the 29th.. At this time, I wasn't aware of the date, and was wondering if it was this week or next week.. So I look at my watch... and I realised... that I've been spoilt with my SMP having a date, and it has become second nature..

Whats the big deal?

I always though the date feature was useless and really didn't care for it. Always arguing that you have to be an idiot not to know the date of the month.. I guess I've proved myself wrong.. :-d

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
If you love the Speedy but must have a date, then simply use the chrono hand and stop it on the corresponding dial marker to reflect the date. Either that or write the date on your hand with a Sharpie marker. ;-) ~ david

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
if your friend called on a cell phone it has a date
if on your home phone I hope you own a calender somewhere in your house

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
The same thing happened to me when I first got my Speedy. After a while I got used to it and I basically do the same thing as David described. I'm a bit forgetful when it comes to dates and such so it does take a bit of getting used to.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I personally can imagine being happy without the date present. I never used the date feature on either PO or SMP I own. I usually use my smartphone whenever I need a calendar.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love my speedy- no doubt, its my first Omega and is my favorite watch :-! Regardless of date or no date. When I first bought it, it was 'the' perfect watch, and no date didn't bother me at all.

When I first bought the SMP, I hated the date feature, because it interfered with the symmetry of the dial (which is why I aspired to the the Sub no-date)
But after buying the SMP, it became my robust daily wear, I must have subconsciously used the date feature.. and now, it has become moderately important to me.. I finally see why you guys 'need' the date feature so much ;-).

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Happened to me a couple of hours ago. I had a client in the office signing paperwork. She asked me the date and I glanced at my wrist only to realize I'm wearing a vintage today. Ack!

Of course then I got entirely distracted by the beauty of my watch and forgot what she'd asked me anyway. ;-)

Jeannie

·
Registered
663 Posts
it is my second nature to look @ my watch and look for the date, too. yeah, after wearing watches with date, it was hard with the speedy pro. but it's the price you pay for such classic timepiece.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My Connie's got the DAY, too. My wife thinks it's silly for someone to need the DAY on their watch, in addition to the DATE, but I find it convenient.

Maybe it's no coincidence that the watch was made in 1968---the Summer of Love. Perhaps those hippies were having some trouble with their short term memory!! ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
D'oh! You should have been wearing something like this one I had on today...

wouldn't that be totally useless? A watch that states that it's the 31st while it's actually May 22nd (or 23rd depending on your position on this globe) :-d

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Connie's got the DAY, too. My wife thinks it's silly for someone to need the DAY on their watch, in addition to the DATE, but I find it convenient.

Maybe it's no coincidence that the watch was made in 1968---the Summer of Love. Perhaps those hippies were having some trouble with their short term memory!! ;)
I agree with your wife here, I often forget what the date is, but usually not the day. Who doesn't know what the DAY is??? That being said though, you're explanation does seem to fit :-!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
It's funny but it's the date feature on the new Co Axial Speedy that would put me off getting one. It just doesn't look right on a Seedy for some reason. :think:

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
It's funny but it's the date feature on the new Co Axial Speedy that would put me off getting one. It just doesn't look right on a Seedy for some reason. :think:
Artistmike, I think you mean a Speedy. The Seedy, or, Seedmaster Professional was actually designed for gardeners. It was a concept watch from Omega back in the early '70s, but, sadly, was never put into production. There are, however, two or three of the prototypes floating around out there and, as such, they are one of the most collectible 'grail' Omegas amongst collectors. ;-)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Artistmike, I think you mean a Speedy. The Seedy, or, Seedmaster Professional was actually designed for gardeners. It was a concept watch from Omega back in the early '70s, but, sadly, was never put into production. There are, however, two or three of the prototypes floating around out there and, as such, they are one of the most collectible 'grail' Omegas amongst collectors. ;-)
and later in that decade, was the even lesser known, same-named concept model targeting the coke-fueled, superfly, pimpsters. today they are mostly beaten up, and found on the low numbered streets downtown and in pawn shops in the same neighborhoods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts