WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the picture tutorial anywhere for novices that shows the correct technique for oiling cap jewels, particularly the upper one, and how to avoid contaminating the balance spring? Thanks. Rob

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Is the picture tutorial anywhere for novices that shows the correct technique for oiling cap jewels, particularly the upper one, and how to avoid contaminating the balance spring? Thanks. Rob
Are they fixed jewels or a shockproof setting? And I'll assume you've taken them apart, cleaned both jewels and pegged the hole jewel and polished the cap jewel.

Shockproof: Lay the cap jewel upside down on the bench. Place a drop of oil on it sufficient to cover 1/3 of the diameter. CAREFULLY place the hole jewel in its setting on top. The oil will hold them together while you put them in the pillar plate or balance cock and close/reinstall the shock spring

Fixed. (scroll down the page just reassembling the barrel) With the cap jewel assembled in the pillar plate or balance cock, place a drop of oil in the oil well of the hole jewel. Using a CLEAN oil inserter, or very fine wire, poke it through the hold, and the oil will go where it should.

ONLY THEN do I attach the balance to the balance cock. I know some experienced pros will pull the balance up and stick the oiler down through the spring to the oil cup, deposit the oil and pull the oiler back out without touching the hairspring. I don't have confidence that I can do that, so I oil the jewels first. Clearly, with enough practice and a steady enough hand, it works just fine.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've done the oiling a little bit differently, my method is pictured here:
Mekaanisen kellon huolto (3rd post on that page)

Basically I first lay the cap jewel convex side up, pick it up with small rodico placed in oiler or such. Now the cap stays put and is easy to turn around.
I turn the cap's flat side up, oil with 9010, easy to see the amount reflected from the surface, because tilting is easy.
I place the setting on the bench, between thin pliers, lower the cap jewel on to the setting. I feel this method quite robust.
Rodico only touches the convex side of the jewel so no harm done.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like "enough practice and a steady enough hand" are the key to getting it right.

·
Registered
287 Posts
With a steady hand through the hairspring.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
I use a clean piece of watchmakers tissue paper laying on the bench. Then flip the cap jewel flat side down on the paper, and I use a suede buff stick to drag the cap jewel across the paper with some pressure, and it cleans it perfectly - takes about 3 seconds.

Cheers, Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts