WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever owning a vintage Daytona is probably never going to happen. Sad I know. What are the other awesome vintage chronograph options that peak your interest at a more affordable price point? One that stands out is the Huer Autavia.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Zenith El Primero (first and only hi beat automatic chrono to my knowledge)
Omega Speedmaster (nuff said)
Heuer Carrera (considered the most beautiful chrono of its era)
Any Heuer with Cal12 (probably the first Swiss auto movement)
Longines 30CH (considered the most beautiful chrono movement ever made)

These are the first that come in my mind, all with more history than the Daytona.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Universal Geneve has some nifty chronographs in the Tricompax model.
Breitling, of course - an old Navitimer or some such. Related to that is the Sinn Navitimer, which is the same watch in a smaller case, 1980s era.

·
Registered
31,976 Posts
Zenith El Primero (first and only hi beat automatic chrono to my knowledge)
Omega Speedmaster (nuff said)
Heuer Carrera (considered the most beautiful chrono of its era)
Any Heuer with Cal12 (probably the first Swiss auto movement)
Longines 30CH (considered the most beautiful chrono movement ever made)

These are the first that come in my mind, all with more history than the Daytona.
These are great options

OP define affordable

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
The De Luca is Ugly IMO, all the original Primeros from the 70s are good, I personally prefer this one:

zenith-el-primero-chronograph-3019-phc-blue-07.jpg

With overlapping subdials.

This one is also good:

The Carrera with Valjoux 72 next to the Daytona, IMO the Heuer is much better, the movement and building quality the same:

This Carrera with Cal11 movement beated the Primero for few months, but all the Cal11 Heuers are great, I recommend to visit the on the dash website:

hca.c21112.a-1970_square.jpg

In the 60s however a man of wealth and taste would have worn a 18k Longines 30 CH:

Then of course you can find an Hanhart, Steve's choice:

Why this watch is forgotten while the Daytona Paul Newman is worth a small flat is a mystery, or better, it's called "Rolex marketing":

7003438468_1b3a2af3e6_z.jpg

The Heuer Bund is somewhat similar, very good military chrono:

LAter they were replaced by the Lemania 5100 chronos made by different manufacturers, you can't go wrong with any of them:

21SixToolWatches.jpg

Enough? Shall I post pics of Soviet and Japanese chronos as well?

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
many good suggestions already.
I'd add a few:
- Leonidas
- Universal Geneve Tricompax
- Credor Phoenix (not quite vintage, but damn nice if you can find it, and semi-affordable too)

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
The only affordable stuff right now is a ton of 1940s-1950s watches with various derivatives of the Landeron 48, made by dozens of long gone micro-brands. 1970s Speedmasters can also be found for below the MSRP of a new one. There's also the Speedy Mark II, they sell for anywhere between 1500 and 3000 bucks.
Generally, the hype for vintage chronographs in general is intolerable these days, with a certain pest of a website (starts with an H) hyping them relentlessly. I guess that the best thing to do is to wait until the speculative bubble breaks. If you're set on getting a vintage chrono now, I'd say go for the Speedy Pro or Mark II.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
The 'grand daddy' of them all is the racing chronograph that also went to the moon (when Rolex couldn't make the grade)... the Omega Speedmaster.

You might like something like this. Here's my '69 Pre-moon Speedmaster 145.022 on a vintage-styled Heuerville strap. I went with a '69 Pre-moon because it was the year of the first moon landing, and it was before they changed the case back and the marketing department hung the 'Moon Watch' moniker on it after the landing. Before that, it was known as 'The' auto racing chrono.

S_DSC05096.JPG

·
Registered
296 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts