WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check this out. Watch the video.

Introducing: The Jaeger-LeCoultre Geophysic True Second And Universal Time (Original Video, Live Pics, Full Specs) — HODINKEE

When I first saw that tick-tick-ticking second hand, like so many cheaper quartz watches, I thought, "What's impressive about this?" How about the watch having a more than 60-part complication to mark each individual second, rather than a second hand that's just sweeping or ticking around the dial?

It's brilliant. It takes the subtlety of an understated Grand Seiko, where you might be the only one in the room who knows how impressive the watch you have is, up another notch. (Though I daresay the brand name might be a tip to some that there's something going on here.)

But, correct me if I'm wrong ... it looks like at 2:22 of that video that the ticking second hand is missing the dial markers. I'd be rather bummed if my JLC did that.

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
Doesn't appeal thankfully, shoulda' sprung for the original when it debuted recently, damn . . .

Reactions: honestlygreedy

·
Registered
5,494 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
So this new "complication" (I would call it a simplification, but whatever...) is actually lower price than the Geophysic 1958. The latter was limited edition, but I like the new one better since it offers something not found on too many watches these days. Sign me up when the grey market has it for ~$6000. And a bracelet.

·
Registered
532 Posts
But, correct me if I'm wrong ... it looks like at 2:22 of that video that the ticking second hand is missing the dial markers. I'd be rather bummed if my JLC did that.
I sure hope that's parallax. Nice technology for the "true second" complication, don't agree with its ends, however.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Agree. Pity about the hands. Don't like dead seconds too.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Dead-beat seconds are my least favorite complication, and while the independent hour hand is great for frequent-travelers who don't like futzing with their watches, I'm a seldom-traveler who does.

Glad I jumped on the Geophysic reissue, and relieved the new Geophysics aren't just categorically better.
A manually wound Geophysic, with the platinum reissue design in steeel, with a black enamel-filled design on the case back would have chafed pretty hard.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
I've always wondered to what extent people liked a running seconds hand because it was a sign of mechanical and thus disliked a (slow) ticking because it was a sign of quartz.

I like mechanical stuff no matter if it ticks quickly or slowly.
i.e it isn't how the seconds hand moves that drives my desire for things.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm surprised that there's so much dislike for the new watches; a dead-beat seconds at 10k, especially when finished like this, is superb value. Further, though this is an opinion, the main reason that I didn't purchase the last geophysic was the copious amount of patina on the hands: these are perfect! I will be getting one, question is when...As an aside, does this movement stem from the previous movement, in that the bearings are ceramic (self lubricating I believe) and that it is antimagnetic (depends on the escapement if the watch wasn't faraday caged)/ shock resistant (was the re-issue shock resistant?)

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Interesting direction. A 3 hander but with an unusual complication and way under-the-radar approach - I can see the value add. It would certainly make for a good conversational piece among people with passion for watches - dead-beat second on a JLC is something new and unusual.
Considering that most complications (from minute repeater to moonphase to tourbillon) are rather useless, I suspect this was a move to show that JLC is still tops when it comes to movements and complications and that they can do it at a reasonable price-point.

Reactions: fld and dieru

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I believe this is called "Dead Second" or "Dead Beat Second" movement. It has been done before.

Gronefield has one called "One Hertz"
Gronefeld One Hertz 1912 Dead-Beat Seconds Watch | aBlogtoWatch

According to this article, first one came about in 1752:
https://www.hautehorlogerie.org/en/encyclopaedia/watches/complication-watches/d/s/watches-with-dead-seconds-and-independent-seconds/
Yes - seconde morte watches have been done by a variety of makers, including Rolex. There are several companies large and small making these now. Personally I find it interesting and do like this new model...

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
To be perfectly honest, I generally like the Geophysic Trubeat. I am not crazy about it, but I don't happen to think that this is a swing and a miss by JLC.

My biggest gripe is that to me it appears they really wanted to go for a classy yet spartan look and I think they dialed it in a little too much towards the spartan end. I feel that they achieved a much better balance for that with the limited edition Geophysic of last year.
Aesthetically, I am the least fond of the indices (albeit I must say that they work well with the hands they chose), they seem just very dull. All in all, a different choice of indices and hands would have made a heck of a difference. But that's my opinion, I am sure there's plenty of folks who are enthusiastic about this watch the way it is.
As far as the Trubeat complication... Cool but really nothing that moves me. I would have rather preferred no Trubeat but a power reserve of more than 40 hours and maybe a grand less in price.
My overall vote is a B- for this watch.

About the Universal Time version... Well I love it! Though the world time complication is my favorite complication ever (I have zero need for one, but I just happen to love it), so I am easily won over by something like that.
First of all, the world map display kills off the not-so-great vibe that the indices/hands were giving me, and then it just looks fantastic to me. All things considered, it is my favorite world time watch. I also like the use of red and blue as a color scheme, it makes the watch pop really nicely.
Pity it's 15 grand... One looks at the offering from Montblanc, the Heritage Spirit Orbis Terrarum, which looks very similar and it's 5k and it becomes mighty tough to shell out three times that for the JLC. But then one can also look at a Patek 5130 (although in precious metals) @ 40+ grand and suddenly this JLC doesn't seem that awful price-wise.
My overall vote is an A- for this watch (A if it was around 12.5/13k in price, where I feel it should be).

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Very much like this new JLC, but would not like the servicing cost. The video script is cringeworthy - pure marketing b*llocks.

Looks like they've done a 'reverse homage' (if there is such a thing) and drawn inspiration from a Seiko design into the bargain, the Seiko SNE031 and very nice it is too (I have one as a daily wearer)

pic stolen from the web
sne031p1-b.jpg

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Why does it have the Geophysic name?
I opened this thread quite excitedly but wow what a disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts