WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Fortis & Sales Moderator
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are now like 4 or 5 of these style watches out...
Arctos, Helson, Wilson Watch Works, Deep Blue and ?
(is there a 5th?; I can't remember)

They are all unique but each has one thing over the other to me...

Arctos looks awesome but its at least $300 higher (pre-order) than the others.
They do use some nice colors on the dial and hands.

Helson looks great too but its using a Miyota and is only $100 less than most.
I would think $200 less beings the mvmt is so much cheaper than an ETA and likely much easier to source.
Unless the cost of a mesh bracelet is more than a standard bracelet?

Wilson Watch Works
looks great all around but the dial is too sterile for me.
Well worth the moolah I am sure since all the work is done here in the USA and all are regulated and tested in-house.

Deep Blue has that amazing blue dial color but there is something about the company name that seems generic to me?
Don't get me wrong, Stan is a great guy and has some sweet straps at really nice prices too but is that name a bit 'blah'? Maybe its just the 'font' that I don't like so much? Hmmm???
(sorry Stan, just a question that has always come to my OCD anal-neurotic mind)

what do the rest of you think?

Oh darn, they're all really great so how does one choose???

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Steve, just take two Advil and call me in the morning! lol

Seriously, never paid attention to any of these but now you'll make me stay up all night doing some research! This watch stuff can make a grown man cry.

paul:-d:-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
334 Posts
Maybe its just the 'font' that I don't like so much? Hmmm???
That's a weakness of the Deep Blue dial IMO. Extra-bold sans serif italic fonts were used to death by graphic designers in the 80s and early 90s (don't ask how I know that). Gives the dial design a dated feel. Not a deal breaker maybe, but annoying nonetheless.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hey Steve, don't forget about the Benarus Megaladon at 49mm should be shipping within the next 30 - 60 days.

Wait, this is 2500m...may not fit your profile
:rodekaart

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hi Steve. Glad you brought this topic up, its been eating away at me too :-!....hey dont forget Debaufre have also released the Triton 2000 ;-).
You summarised each watch by each brand perfectly.

I actually put in a preorder for the Arctos (before everyone else started to release the 45mm / 2km watches). A couple of $100 less and I would have stuck with the Arctos.

But after seeing the Helson I changed my mind. :-!. Its the best looking one out there (with a large range of options), its on a very cool mesh, its BIG, chunky, looks to be well made too. Ok so it uses a Miyota, but a Miyota is a reliable movement? Next choice would probably be Deep Blue :think:

Regards

·
Banned
827 Posts
It's funny you say that about the Deep Blue. I have always been on the bubble about aquiring one, and when it comes down to it, it's the name. It feels like a "fashion watch" TJ Maxx find. I have been drawn to the designs lately, but haven't been able to pull the trigger, because I'd probably end up flipping it.

I know it's a personal preference thing, but interesting to hear others say that as well.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I've been paying close attention to these ones as well. My problem is that I'm not sure that these watches are actually WR tested... ater all aren't 2k capable WR testers "few and far between"? :think:

Does anyone have any kind of input here? :think:

Do these watches exsits because everyone else is overcharging us or is this yet another proof that you "get what you pay for"... Du no... I guess ultimately we'll have to wait and see how these ones do in the field... :think:

And yes, I agree with you... there is something about DeepBlue (is it font or whatever) that just "bugs" me a bit...

Cheers

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Even though the style is a bit difference---I would take the UTS over all of them---Yup, its' more expensive, too but the quality is top notch and the clean dial really shows the awesome blue color...Plus it is 43MM not a wall clock at 45 or 46 or even 49..

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Even though the style is a bit difference---I would take the UTS over all of them---Yup, its' more expensive, too but the quality is top notch and the clean dial really shows the awesome blue color...Plus it is 43MM not a wall clock at 45 or 46 or even 49..

Cheers
Mike

UTS is really in an entirely different class IMO than the watches mentioned above, they are as close to an actual manufactuer as u will find in boutique companies (they make their own cases in Germany). They use only Top Grade movements and the regulate them at their own facility. More expensive but worth it. I own a 500M by the way. UTS also pressure tests each watch to a depth 50% greater than the rating.

·
Registered
974 Posts

Cheers
Mike

Dont think the UTS fits in his list Mike.
Its German made, and does not use the case he is talking about.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Totally agree--but if you want to buy one that is 2000M and feel confident that it has been tested that would be the way to go...

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Great thread as I'm facing this decision right now. I'm leaning towards the Deep Blue when I see the orange hand version that's coming. My biggest concern is the 18mm height. Does anyone have a problem with that ? Anyone think of a watch that thick that's popular around here for comparison ?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I recently got the Deep Blue Master 2000m, and I looked at the other competitors mentioned before I bought. I am probably a little biased, but saying that up front, here is my .02

IMO, the Deep Blue Master 2000 just offered more of what I wanted for a lot less money out of my pocket. Mainly because, for this particular watch purchase, I wanted a solid and tough tool diver that was not so expensive I wouldn't use it as intended.

I wanted a conventional 316L SS case style which was big and thick, with 2000m WR, an ETA movement, a sapphire crystal and a decent SS bracelet. The Deep blue had all of things plus quite a bit more, and it was only $599. The HE valve, super lume job, all screwed bracelet links, AR coating, anti-magnetic, etc, were pleasent plusses that just sealed the deal for me.

I wouldn't compare the Master 2000 to other watches costing quite a bit more as, IMO, it is not intended to compete with them. It is just a classic hunk of a tool diver with a lot of practical features but without any of the frills or "name premium" costs added on.

Dave

·
Fortis & Sales Moderator
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, it seems I have really stirred up the pot and its nice to see that I am not
the only OCD watch nut in the bunch. - haha

I'd say Zinex if I were to go with any reasonabley priced watch that is truly tested
to the depths that it is rated for.
Plus, Joe is just the best of the best when it comes to customer service.
The reason I finally just pulled the trigger on the last Blue 'Modern' dial Heliox that
he had in stock... and yup, its on the mesh which I was never into but on the
Heliox it looks like it belongs there and makes the whole presentation look sick. :)

·
2,104 Posts
well, it seems I have really stirred up the pot and its nice to see that I am not
the only OCD watch nut in the bunch. - haha

I'd say Zinex if I were to go with any reasonabley priced watch that is truly tested
to the depths that it is rated for.
Plus, Joe is just the best of the best when it comes to customer service.
The reason I finally just pulled the trigger on the last Blue 'Modern' dial Heliox that
he had in stock... and yup, its on the mesh which I was never into but on the
Heliox it looks like it belongs there and makes the whole presentation look sick. :)
I do not have proof, but willing to bet this is the same manufacturer that makes Zinex. Someone posted a link to the manufacturer in another thread. They did have pics on their site where the watches were tested. Look at the case back, the grooves used to take the case back off is the same as Zinex. I know Joe does real world dives with his watches but there are no real world dives by humans that can go to 2000M and beyond. By the way I am on the list to get the Wilson Watch Works version. I do like the color schemes of the Henson watches better but prefer an ETA movement and the case design of the Wilson better.

Regards,

Ren

Here is a pic of my Corvette diver same as the Zinex Nitrox.

·
Fortis & Sales Moderator
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey Omar.
hope you are well.

I am not knocking the Miyota at all and in fact, if I had to pick now out of those
4 pieces, it would be the Helson in SS with orange lume.
its a nice looking piece.

-steve

·
Fortis & Sales Moderator
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sorry Paul,
didn't mean to make you get on my mental kick. :-d

all the best to you bud
-Steven

Steve, just take two Advil and call me in the morning! lol

Seriously, never paid attention to any of these but now you'll make me stay up all night doing some research! This watch stuff can make a grown man cry.

paul:-d:-d:-d:-d

·
Fortis & Sales Moderator
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi Ren.
nice piece!

when Joe first started the divers series he did use and still does, the same cases for the Nitrox as used by other companies.
But, I think the Trimix and Heliox are one off styles?
I know they are reminiscent of vintage divers but I can't think of anyone currently using those 2 cases.
If I am wrong, someone please correct me as I like to be well informed and not be giving the wrong info. ;-)

Also, Joe may not dive to 2000M but all his watches are tested to/over the ratings that are on the cases, same as what UTS does.

best,
Steven

I do not have proof, but willing to bet this is the same manufacturer that makes Zinex. Someone posted a link to the manufacturer in another thread. They did have pics on their site where the watches were tested. Look at the case back, the grooves used to take the case back off is the same as Zinex. I know Joe does real world dives with his watches but there are no real world dives by humans that can go to 2000M and beyond. By the way I am on the list to get the Wilson Watch Works version. I do like the color schemes of the Henson watches better but prefer an ETA movement and the case design of the Wilson better.

Regards,

Ren

Here is a pic of my Corvette diver same as the Zinex Nitrox.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm with Dave W., for the money, $599, I got all that I was looking for in a daily workhorse, and then some. I asked Stan about the water resistance testing and he sent me a pic of their testing equipment and assured me that all units are tested for their rating before being shipped.

Here's a pretty good close-up shot of the Deep Blue Master 2000.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts