WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's hard to read, take white chalk and rub it over the inscription. Take a picture and use google translate app. It will translate from pictures. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Моряку Североморцу в память о службе на КСФ

To the Northern-sea Seaman for memory about service in Red-banner Northern Fleet
Many thanks, so the dedication does not include a name?

Cheers...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It looks like some sort of modern addition. "Ocean" were very expensive watches in 1979. It was a very prized possession and an expensive award. Being presented as a gift "in the service commemoration" to unnamed "Sailor" would be highly unlikely. I can imagine a scenario of the award of someone in the rank no less than a Commander with such watch. Lieutenant Commander would not be qualified by rank.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It looks like some sort of modern addition. "Ocean" were very expensive watches in 1979. It was a very prized possession and an expensive award. Being presented as a gift "in the service commemoration" to unnamed "Sailor" would be highly unlikely. I can imagine a scenario of the award of someone in the rank no less than a Commander with such watch. Lieutenant Commander would not be qualified by rank.
Came across this thread - seaman in Russian does not translate into automatic sailor rank. The sailor rank in Russian would be "МАТРОС." So technically speaking, we do not know the rank of the original owner. Also, the price is actually not relevant as "Oceans" were never for sale (although they did technically have a price), they were issued within the military. I think all ship commanders got them as standard issuance, so it is possible a lower rank got it as a gift.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Came across this thread - seaman in Russian does not translate into automatic sailor rank. The sailor rank in Russian would be "МАТРОС." So technically speaking, we do not know the rank of the original owner. Also, the price is actually not relevant as "Oceans" were never for sale (although they did technically have a price), they were issued within the military. I think all ship commanders got them as standard issuance, so it is possible a lower rank got it as a gift.
The awards usually would include the rank and the name. This is the point of awarding such an expensive timepiece. Less expensive could come as generic. And these watches were on sales through commissaries. Something like 170 rouble a piece. The price was enormous for the non golden watch.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The awards usually would include the rank and the name. This is the point of awarding such an expensive timepiece. Less expensive could come as generic. And these watches were on sales through commissaries. Something like 170 rouble a piece. The price was enormous for the non golden watch.
First, there is a gift (a private matter) and there is an award (an official matter); secondly, I believe I saw numerous discussions that those 3133 that were available for sale in military store (not the Ocean, though) showed up there in the 80s, once enough watches were produced. Here we have, allegedly, 1979 watch. It would be more interesting to know whether the dial, the case and the mechanism are consistent with 1978-79 time period.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Cheers...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts