WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have fallen in love with the Okean and am thinking of getting one.
My dillema is whether to go vintage or the new "Final Edition" that doesn't seem so final :)

I usually go down vintage route on my watches and on a Strela it makes perfect sense as the vintage one has a different movement and different case, but the newer Okean comes with the same movement and same case as the original so I don't see the benefit of buying a used worn out piece when I can have the same newer piece.

My question is: Are they really the same?
or is the case on the new one bigger?

If there are differences, what are they?
and which one would YOU go for?

Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the same dilemma and also a vintage collector with a number of original 31659 Sturmanskie but went for the Final Edition which I totally love. There are just too many fake 'originals' fetching silly money.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same dilemma and also a vintage collector with a number of original 31659 Sturmanskie but went for the Final Edition which I totally love. There are just too many fake 'originals' fetching silly money.

thanks for the info, do you know if it is the same case size, as originals always say 38mm while the Final Edition always says 39mm, is there a difference or are they the same?

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
There are quite a few differences between the final edition and original case,lug side profile slightly thicker,lug width (20mm as opposed to 18mm),different pusher design,larger crown and different crystal (mineral as opposed to hesalite)
Here are a few pics comparing the case to an original sturmanskie one
Edit:best place to buy is Julian Kampmann's store,a bit expensive but his customer service is second to none
https://www.poljot24.de/poljot-okean.html

IMG_20180329_115228.jpg IMG_20180329_115527.jpg IMG_20180329_115925.jpg IMG_20180329_120025.jpg IMG_20180329_122223.jpg IMG_20180329_122509.jpg IMG_20180329_122937.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Agree totally with above comments the Final Edition is very well made and finished. Mine is also the best mechanical timekeeper I have. :0)

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
The thing that made me choose a final edition over the historical Okeah.
Is the fact that most of the "historical" pieces have more than likely been cobbled together from other watches and therefore not the real deal.
It is nigh on impossible to determine whether an Okean from the soviet period is an authentic issued piece or one made up from disparate period correct parts unless you have authentic paperwork and concrete provenance.
Mission improbable in my opinion

Reactions: schnurrp

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
The thing that made me choose a final edition over the historical Okeah.
Is the fact that most of the "historical" pieces have more than likely been cobbled together from other watches and therefore not the real deal.
It is nigh on impossible to determine whether an Okean from the soviet period is an authentic issued piece or one made up from disparate period correct parts unless you have authentic paperwork and concrete provenance.
Mission improbable in my opinion
Since I made the decision early on to collect only soviet-era watches I had no choice but to try to buy an authentic vintage one. I was lucky to find one that at least had no glaring replacement or mis-matching parts at a very decent price so I was happy to get it even though I will never know anything of its true history or pedigree. I can always fall back on the possibility, at least, that these older vintage Okeahs were repaired during their useful life with replacement parts until they were taken out of service.

It's a beautiful design, vintage or new:

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are quite a few differences between the final edition and original case,lug side profile slightly thicker,lug width (20mm as opposed to 18mm),different pusher design,larger crown and different crystal (mineral as opposed to hesalite)
Here are a few pics comparing the case to an original sturmanskie one
Edit:best place to buy is Julian Kampmann's store,a bit expensive but his customer service is second to none
https://www.poljot24.de/poljot-okean.html
Now thats EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you.
Am I right in assuming that the diameter is the same?
and what about thickness and lug to lug.
Oh and that vintage with its raised crystal looks just PERFECT :p

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Now thats EXACTLY what I was looking for, thank you.
Am I right in assuming that the diameter is the same?
and what about thickness and lug to lug.
The modern case is larger in every dimension, I believe. Not by much, but it's noticeable.

You can always get both and sell the one you like less.

Or not :)

DSC04052.jpg

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Thanks what about the lug to lug or length of the watch?

WatchGeek YT Channel
I don't have them at hand now but I also suspect 2 mm more as well. The reissue looks "rounder", the original more angular but to be honest if you are looking for a vintage Okeah in decent conditions...good luck with that.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
View attachment 13020531 View attachment 13020535

One of the first run final, pretty sure the second run is similar except having a glass back to see the 3133.
Very good lume too.
Please post piccies when in mate, cheers
The one I purchased from Julian at poljot.de second run final edition came with the glass back as well as the stainless one on yours,also he supplied a couple of Rios straps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts