WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dear forum members,
My late grand father was a watchmaker as a hobby, and we've recently gone through some of his old watches and came across an old Girard Perregaux.
There's no indication as to which model it is, and I did not open the case physically to see the movement - so I have no idea which model it is.
I wanted to ask you, respected members of this community, for help identifying the model and year of manufacture.
I'm attaching a photo of the watch to this post. (The wrist band isn't original)
Thank you all very much,
Eyal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
There's no indication as to which model it is, and I did not open the case physically to see the movement - so I have no idea which model it is.
I wanted to ask you, respected members of this community, for help identifying the model and year of manufacture.
Any details on the caseback? Anymore details to the story: when and where did he acquire it, and was it new? That might help to get into the right era.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sorry but I don't know anything else. we've found this watch long after my grandfather's demise.
I can, however, get more photos on the coming weekend.
There are two details I do remember about this watch:
1. There's nothing on the back case.
2. There's some kind of serial number engraved on the side. it says "GP" and then 4 digits which I don't remember (I could check on the weekend also).

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Based on the style...i.e. day/date, blocky marker dial, and those hands...the watch was made in the early to mid 1970s. Give-or-take a few years.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
What is that "2" to the left of the day? And those hands. Somehow the ends of the hr. and min. look incomplete. The OP photo appears to have "****matic" at 6 o'clock. I found this photo on the web. Gyromatic 1971 gold filled.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Gyromatic is The Girard-Perregaux proprietary word for automatic. The number preceding the day is it's numeric place in the week, starting Monday. 2 for Tuesday, 5 for Friday.

Mike

·
Registered
173 Posts
Please help with info on this GP, 35mm titanium case stamped Scratchproof Top 4256 TA & inside with interesting logo of whale Inalterable Narval, Calibre 705-993, original crown & strap signed inside & on pin buckle...its in mint condition all round like new. I have only found x2 same pieces from a few years back of the same watch but in poor condition and absolutely nothing else...info on this piece has been almost impossible to find such that another guy callled it a Franken. Could experts please confirm authenticity, date of production and any other info. Many thanks...

DSC_7515.JPG DSC_7509.JPG DSC_7517.JPG DSC_7528.JPG DSC_7529.JPG DSC_7530.JPG

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hello Dan,
The guy says the dial is wrong and from an earlier watch, crown and case looking too new and case back also from a different watch...meaning this is a franken. I'm offering it for sale so I really don't want my buyers to think ill of me thats why i've posted it here to seek more info and verification.
I myself believe it to be 100% genuine and in mint condition as you're saying but would need more info. to settle my mind. What yr and model is this. Also, i described the case to be a Gerald Genta style case which the guy says is wrong. Aren't these C-shaped cases loosely referred to as Genta style? Thanks for your time and knowledge...

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Sorry, I'm not enough of an expert on the brand to say whether the watch is a franken. My comment was more based on the hands and dial being legit, because they look good. They could have been transplanted into a compatible case, and it's certainly true that the back is more scratched up than the case, which is suspicious. It sounds like this other person has specific knowledge of this particular model that goes far beyond mine.

No, C-shape cases are not loosely referred to as Genta-style.

·
Registered
173 Posts
the back has slightly more scratches because its stainless steel and not titanium...it even says Scratchproof top which is one of the advantages of titanium. ok, thanks for the C-shaped case clarification...

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I have doubts case is GP, the logo on case back looks squeezed in and not very successfully
Caliber 705 was introduced with Laureato model in 1975
Did they ever put 705 in a 35x looking case? Only some old advert could confirm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts