WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there knew anything about the Henry Gireaux Watch Co.? I inhered one, but can't seem to find any information on line about this company, besides the few that are for sale on Ebay.

·
Registered
103 Posts
According to Mikrolisk, Henri Gireaux was a brand of "Henri Gireaux watches/Victor Huff" of New York, registered in July 1956. Victor Huff also used the brand name "Bernhuff Watches" which was registered in 1948.

Mikrolisk - was Feines für die Tasche... - Das Informationsportal rund um die Taschenuhr!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6rkGIXb5LC4C&pg=PA152&lpg=PA152&dq="victor+huff"+watches&source=bl&ots=M1R7hWQojp&sig=6J216Q7hZkRFuMfV3WqcSb_lPUI&hl=en&ei=_mTgTpWVH9HVsgalk-npCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CE8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q="victor huff" watches&f=false

tim

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have one that contains a Russian Poljot 2409 movement

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that's some pretty great info. Thanks Y'all. I will be posting pics soon.

So now that I know when and where they were located, what's the next best step to gaining some insight into their watch history? Simply googling them yields less than fantastic results.

Matthew

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,210 Posts
I know nothing about the brand, but from this one that's available on eBay (Vintage Henri Gireaux 17 jewel Man's gents wrist watch with band | eBay) that shows a non-signed movement, it makes me wonder if it was the name of a jewelry store that sold their own brand of watches. Just a thought.
That one has a Soviet-built Poljot 2414 movement (apart from the ratchet wheel replaced). However the case does not look a Soviet design. From that I woud assume that the movement was probably cased-up in the USA, which would have been the intended market according to the Mikrolisk info. The style of the dial is early/mid 1960s, when some Soviet movements were being used in watches sold in the USA (obviously with their origins well disguised).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts