WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not really an enthusiast, but I’ve inherited an old pocket watch from my great grandfather, and I would love to get some information about it.

I’ve tried to open it to see the different “stamps”, and from that (and a whole lot of searching the web), I’ve found out, that
1. it dates between 1886 and 1933
2. the case is silver
3. the rest is another metal
4. It’s probably swiss-made
I hope one of you has some knowledge, that could give me some more details (or maybe correct me, if some of my findings are wrong).

I've taken som Photos: http://kwdemant.dk/watch/

Outside:
Picture 1: The Watch from the front

Picture 2: The Watch from the back

Inside the case
Picture 3: The German hallmark for silver after 1886

Picture 4: The swizz Grouse and 0,800 - tells me it's silver, swizz made and in the period from 1880 to 1933
I don't know if the small mark under "0,800" Means anything

Picture 5: Something handwritten:
AE

Picture 6: the big number 5943 and under that a smaller number 7

Under that on the right there's more handwritten:
Ѧ ∂
19422 = =
20828= x
21607 = x
22284 = x

and also under the number 7 is handwritten:
2517 Ѧ 291

Picture 7: The words "Cylinder 10 steine"

Inside the clock
Picture 8: The clockwork

Picture 9: zoomed in on SR and FA -witch tells me it's swizz made and probably exported

I hope one of you can help me. Thank you so much :)

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,028 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek. From what I can see, the watch is from the 1920s or early 1930s - I have almost the same dial and case on a Zenith PW from 1929. The movement, however, is still a cylindre escapement calibre which at that time was already somewhat backward technology. The heyday of the cylindre escapement was the 19th century, although they were still made until a little after WWII. At ten jewels, this is the highest cylindre grade (it is practically fully jewelled for a cylindre movement) but it remains a slightly mundane watch. If it still works, it can keep decent time and will serve you well, but if something is broken, these things are difficult to get going again and it simply isn't economical.

Hope that helps,

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to Watchuseek. From what I can see, the watch is from the 1920s or early 1930s - I have almost the same dial and case on a Zenith PW from 1929. The movement, however, is still a cylindre escapement calibre which at that time was already somewhat backward technology. The heyday of the cylindre escapement was the 19th century, although they were still made until a little after WWII. At ten jewels, this is the highest cylindre grade (it is practically fully jewelled for a cylindre movement) but it remains a slightly mundane watch. If it still works, it can keep decent time and will serve you well, but if something is broken, these things are difficult to get going again and it simply isn't economical.

Hope that helps,

Hartmut Richter
Thank you so much for your help and info. That helps me a lot :)

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Hi and welcome
May I add.
Nice piece, probably 20s.
Lovely enamel dial with both 12 hour and (red) 24 hour marking.
Movement Swiss
Silver case with German import hallmarks

Regards
adam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts