WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,I am hoping you guys can help me out with what I actually have here.
I got 2 old pocket watches and 2 old watches recently.all are causing me confusion as I am a novice to watches.
this one has no markings on the face and measures approx 33mm across,weighing 32g
There is no markings on the back at all,when you open the back there is various markings inscribed by hand along with a serial number
the number is 4188750 then theres the number 8 and the letter V upside down
inscribed is 02/10/09 (a date? and I am assuming 09 means 1909) F431, 285D, E/32442,116/43, 15/11 in various places
inside the second/dust cover is the same serial number and the same number 8 and the same upside down V.
the movement has no markings anywhere that I can see apart from the letters F A S R arranged in 2 coloums
there is something very small stamped on the fob ring which is partly worn but looks to be BD or similier
I have had a look around the internet and couldnt find anything out until I googled F A S R and old watch and the stuff I did find seemed to relate
to omega hence my heading.
Did omega ever make pocket watches in the early days and not mark them at all anywhere? or did they supply there movements to 3rd partys to make up there own pocket watches or I am off the track completly and this is something else
I have attached some photos that I hope helps
I also posted this in the omega watch section which was perhaps the wrong place to out it.
Many thanks
Danny

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can say this much, all those hand scribbles are repair markings, so each one is a different repair, which means it was well cared for. The upside down V may be a hallmark of some sorts. I'll do some digging and see what I can dig up. Beautiful peice none the less.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can say this much, all those hand scribbles are repair markings, so each one is a different repair, which means it was well cared for. The upside down V may be a hallmark of some sorts. I'll do some digging and see what I can dig up. Beautiful peice none the less.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Many thanks Mrtimex
I wondered if thay might be repair marks or codes for the person who did repairs.One does appear to be a date though (02/10/09).Good idea on the upside v as well.
Danny

·
Registered
7,743 Posts

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
I think like I said in the omega forum could be a movement supplied by Omega for the purpose of others to use, and hence with no name on the movement. This was and still happens back then and today.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,846 Posts
Has someone positively identified this as an Omega calibre? Several manufacturers made a calibre with a bridge layout that is similar to this.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
I think details of the movement will be on the dial side, but it does look very similar to the omega.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I think your guess is a good one . I have Omega Designs book by Kreuzer that shows 5 different sizes of this movement started before 1900 with 33mm 17 ligne the largest. These became commonly used in w.w. 4+million serial about 1916. They did provide these with and without Omega markings. I have both this size and smaller ones. Many made with slight design changes 1895 through 1920s. Certainly not rare. As a superficial collector my opinion is they are excellent reliable movements.

copy old omega.jpg copy old omegee.jpg omega 0s.jpg First Omega w.w.? Later Gruen near 0 size

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
is definitely Omega movement. Omega used to sell several brands
also see Regina watch co. for the Canadian market

Brands associated with Brandt brothers
CASANOVA - LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. Bienne
CELTIC - LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. (to USA) Bienne
COLGOR - COLGOR Watch - ROB. BRANDT (to USA) Bienne
DICTATOR - LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. Bienne
EL DEMOCRATOR - LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. Bienne
EMPEROR - LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. Bienne
GOLIATH - LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. Bienne
HIMALAYA - LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. Bienne
LABRADOR - Louis BRANDT & Frère Bienne
LIBERTOR - LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. Bienne
LIBERTATOR - LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. Bienne
OMEGA - OMEGA Watch Co. S.A. LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. (to USA) Bienne
PATRIA - OMEGA Watch Co. S.A. LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. Bienne
REGINA - LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. Bienne
SEAMASTER - OMEGA Watch Co. S.A. LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. (to USA) Bienne
SIMPLICITAS - LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. Bienne
THEODORA - LOUIS BRANDT & Frère S.A. Bienne
regards enrico

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,846 Posts
Whilst that is a list of brands it would be misleading to think that all or indeed even most of them used Omega movements.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks to all that have replied,you have all been more than helpful and I have learned a little bit more.
I am enjoying playing with the watch and may be getting hooked...
Dan

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Interesting listing of Omega movement brands. Seems like omega marked old small movements may be small part of total production thus uncommon? art b.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts