WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...but I'm asking because I would like to learn. I have a couple of nice automatic watches in my collection that need to be serviced. I took one into a local watchmaker and I was a little shellshocked by the quote of servicing the watch (oiled, adjusted, etc) - I really like the watch so I agreed to the quote. I checked online for some of the major brand services (in house, like Omega, etc) and these range anywhere from $450 to $600 (and beyond.) What would be a reasonable price to pay for a full service from an independent watchmaker? As reference, I live in the Washington, DC metro area. Just curious...thanks in advance.:-s

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Depends on the movement and the watch. Is it an auto, hand wind or chrono. What did he quote you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an auto, GMT, Réserve de Marche, was keeping good time but stopping and not using the Réserve de Marche fully (had like 10 hours left and it would stop) - quote: $450.00

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
If it's just an ETA 2893-2, it seems a bit steep to me, unless it's in a high end watch.

Never had a GMT or PR so can't really give you any solid advice.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Indeed, as others have said, it depends on the brand and the movement. Orient makes several GMT+power reserve watches, and I expect my watchmaker would charge about $120 to service one of those (I haven't asked yet.) If it's Lange & Sohne with the same features, multiply by ten. So, yours might be in the ballpark if it's a Euro-watch (assumed by your phrasing.)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, thanks all for your feedback. The watch in question is: Revue Thommen GMT Power reserve, and it's a 2892-A2.

·
Banned
5,646 Posts
I've used two watchmakers recently. The cheaper (and very much more leisurely....) of the two only charges £60 for a chronograph.... Cheap alternatives are out there! I got my advice on where to go from a UK-based mod of the Vintage Forum - maybe have a look at the other mods of that forum and see if any of them might have local knowledge for you?

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Based on his pricelist, I think watchguy.co.uk would charge £150 (about $250) for that one, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Since you sent it to an independent, and it is an ETA, I don't think the brand should matter much.

$450 sounds high, I would expect more like $200. However, if the guy has credentials and is known to be good, maybe it is worth it.

Last time I had a vintage two-register, no-date, hand-wound, Lemania-powered chrono serviced by a credentialed (WOSTEP-trained) watchmaker, it was $300. I thought that was steep, but it is a family heirloom too.

Soon, I'll inherit my dad's 3-register hand-wound vintage chrono and will probably need to find > $250 to get that serviced.

That watchmaker is no longer with us, as he took a job at a big expensive jewelry store working on Rolexes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. I'll keep you posted when I pick up the watch. Regards!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.