WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Not as pretty as the majority of the watches you guys are lucky enough to own, but I know that most of you also have time for some good old fashion tool watches.

This Dive Dynamics quartz diver has been worn almost every day since it was purchased in late 1991, intially be me as my first dive watch and latterly by my father as his daily beater. It's seen some pretty beautiful dive sites around the world in its time, but clearly those days are long gone!

I recently 'stole' it back from my dad with a view to trying to breathe some new life into it; she still keeps time perfectly and has past her pressure test, however she's clearly not too pretty. Originally I thought about trying to find a replacement bezel insert, but now I don't think a new insert would really work - it'd clash to much with the aged dial and I definately don't want to have that refininshed. As it's no longer going to be hitting the depths a new bezel isn't a practical necessity anyway, but was wondering if anyone else had tried a new bezel on a dirty old watch and what the result was?

One thing I definately will be needing, obviously, is a new strap, so if anyone has any ideas on a 20x20mm dive strap (or even a 22x22mm notched one come to that) I'd be grateful for advice. Ideally I don't want tapered, would prefer rubber/silicon with a decent thickness and am not too keen on the Maratec Elite.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
700 Posts
With almost 30 years on her back, she's now a certain charme! The lack of the rotating bezel is a good piece of wabib-)!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Cool watch. If your bezel ring has a U shaped channel (unlike Seikos & Rollies that are L shaped) then you can make your own insert that would look very cool. Here's an example on an insert I made with Illustrator and some crystal clear two part epoxy. Old school acrylic insert look for very little dough and a wee bit of effort. Left is air-tension domed (with some bubbles) and right is after I sanded it down.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the replies guys,

tista - great bezel, alas I don't think I have your skills! The before sanding picture is very fifty fathoms!

I actually have maanged to find a replacement bezel (Jeff the watchdude over on pmwf has been incredibly helpful) although I'm still at odds as to whether or not to just keep her in the state she's in.

Still looking for the ideal strap though......

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
For a strap, I'd recommend the Maratac composite Two piece. They are 24 mm straps that come pre trimmed to fit 20, 22, or 24 mm lugs. They're only $20 and they are super comfortable. They're available from WestCoast time, MWR or County Comm. They look good on anything from a Seiko to a Steelfish.

Joe

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts